I downloaded and started to play The Suffering. I have to say that I was not impressed (but that's me). The game is not all that old, right? Released in 2004? But the graphics seem more dated than Unreal, which preceded it by six years!

During the intro movie one of the prisoner's hands kept going into the wall of his cell (his hands were supposed to be against the wall). One of the creatures with swords for hands and feet ... his sword feet passed deep into the floor. The player character could swing his knife at posts and glass windows, etc, and his hand and knife would just pass through. The prisoner models for the intro were poorly created in that animation caused them to contort over much (arms would get strangely thin with some motions or edges would "pop" with others).

After getting to the part where I meet a living guard and he starts his speech about us working together, I decided to strike him with my knife. He fell to the ground, stood up and started his speech all over again as if I had not struck him. So I did it again. And it repeated this. About the fourth time the guard suddenly decides to pull his pistol and start shooting me. Then I was finally able to kill him and get his gun. Duh!

I went down the stairs, attacked the next creature and then got bored, shut down the game and uninstalled it.

I am sure I did not give this one a fair shake, but it failed to suck me in from the beginning.

Frank,

I loved Bioshock. That is one of those games that I would like to see a modern remake of. They are make a lot of remakes of movies, how about video games?

Perhaps you and I should talk about making some sort of Unreal like game some time. Hint. Hint. wink

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios