I understand what you're saying (we've already had some people make some really strange changes; like physics -> archaeology. :S).

You should look at the job prospects at the end of it, but also whether you're going to enjoy it or not. - It's often a decision between the two for a lot of people.. Some people enjoy doing something that's not necessarily going to guarantee them a job at the end of it, but it's worth it because it means they're less likely to give up because they enjoy what they're doing.

If you have the enthusiasm and the right work ethic I'm sure you'll end up where you want to be. - Beware though that a lot of people change their mind on a career as they get older, so something you want to do now, you may not enjoy in the future, so maybe a more general course would benefit you.

It's always going to be a decision that you have to make on your own though and so you may not necessarily agree on what people say.. At the end of the day if you change your mind soon enough, it's usually quite easy to change from one course to another within a department/university.. just try and get somewhere in the right area first off.. If your choices are so varied, maybe you're not 100% sure what you want to do..

I hope this helps.