Originally Posted By: TriNitroToluene
I conclude that most of these "Bible skepticism" threads are really masks for people who hate God and Christianity, and cannot come to terms with the larger philosophical issues of death and misfortune.

Sometimes it looks like religious people hate science, but there's a lot of ignorance on both sides. Scientists that know little about religion and vice versa. Often debates lead to nothing because of bias, big egos and close mindedness.

The larger philosophical issues of death and misfortune certainly make me think about my own life even though to some extent the agnostic side of me is indifferent about it all. There's no frustration about it.

Don't forget that to me it makes as much sense that after I die the lights go out and nothing happens, as to you it makes sense that you'll arrive in heaven.

Quote:

Psychologically speaking most people need something to tear down when their lives dont go right, so they choose God and Christianity because they cant understand how God would have let them down...

Perhaps it's not meant personally, but I am as open minded as I can be on the subject. I definitely do not hate religion, but to some extent people have all reason to.

Life, and my life is no exception, is something with ups and downs, I don't blame anyone but myself for my own mistakes, hating upon something just to feel better is definitely not me. smile

Quote:
I mean no insult against Phemox but I come to no other conclusion when people are refusing to look at alternatives. There are many people who have OBVIOUS animosity and hatred and mocking towards God and Christians. You tell me why if it is not for psychological reasons..

It's all good, but I don't think I am refusing to look at alternatives. In fact I'm probably more interested in religion than most people are. I've had many discussions with people that believed in something because their parents had raised them as Catholic, Christian and so on. Very interesting, but at the same time it can be quite unbelievable when people say 'I believe simply because my parents do so too'.

Obviously there's a psychological thing going on, children trust their parents. Their teachings are almost holy to them.

The first time this gets a little dent is when the parents explain Santa isn't real, but along the way many children raised with religion will find out about 'the alternatives' as well. There's far more to it than just a Bible with compelling and interesting stories.

Furthermore, as this might seem like mocking, I am convinced there has been a development of religions over time, usually following the same successful process of borrowing from popular religions and adding/changing things unless they prove to be making the religion unpopular. To me it seems obvious it was designed to influence and control people through human psychology. I don't consider that idea 'hating on religion', but perhaps you feel different about it.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software