Quote:
Second, Genesis 1: "And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament."

"Under" and "above" the firmament only makes sense when you assume a gravity direction. However, a spherical earth does have an "under" - it's the same from all sides. Only a flat earth has a defined "under" and "above".
Interesting theory, but I think it is definitely wrong. The reason why I can use such a strong word as 'definitely' is because of the following verse. I have thought about it extensively before and I even showed jcl how he was wrong in thinking that the firmamnet was a solid. He has probably chosen to forget that time though laugh

In case anyone needs the reference, the verse you gave was genesis 1:6-7, if you look at the next_verse, genesis 1:8 you see:

Quote:
Gen 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

So God called the firmament heaven. So therefore the firmament is not solid land at all. It is the troposphere. Have you ever wondered why clouds filled with very heavy h20 do not fall? It is because they are kept up by rising air currents in the troposphere.

So therefore the waters 'above the firmament' are waters in the clouds, the waters 'below the firmament' are the waters of the seas.

As far as the words 'above' and 'below' of course those words are used, we also use those words today as we look at clouds above us. Of course those clouds are not really above us, because we are only located relative to other planets, the word above is really meaningless in an infinite universe.So God was just using vernacular which would be understood by people, he wasnt interested in teaching the principles of relativity and we would not understand His science if He told us anyway. Discovering it is our job.

Good thinkinng Tobias, but sometimes we should look at further possibilities in order to understand.

Think rationally, how could God allow birds to fly in solid firmamnet? Look at the next verse... grin
Quote:
Gen 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

Quote:
Well I think instead of trying a psychological analysis why other people dont have the same opinion as you, there is probably an easier explanation why most assume that the Bible talked about a flat earth.
Why not Tobias? Is [psychology not science? I mean no insult against Phemox but I come to no other conclusion when people are refusing to look at alternatives. There are many people who have OBVIOUS animosity and hatred and mocking towards God and Christians. You tell me why if it is not for psychological reasons..