Further insight into the four corners. If you look at the greek word for corner in the following verse(Johns vison of revelation):

Quote:
Rev 7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

The greek word is gonia, and it means corner or quarter.
Quarter makes much more sense than corner in this verse because when talking about the four winds of the earth, the Bible is probably referring to the major winds, northeast and southeast trades as well as the westerlies and polar easterlies.

As I was trying to illuminate before, the original Bible authors couldnt possibly have been referring to the four corners of a cuboid shape. Why didnt anyone reply to me earlier I dont know. Maybe I just didnt give enough reasons for a flame war. grin

Phemox, I am ashamed of you that being an upcoming archeologist, and therefore supposedly acquainted with human history and anthropology, that you would so doggedly persist in assuming that the original Bible authors did not know that the earth was a sphere without providing alternatives. If you are so sure that they did NOT view the earth as a sphere, how do know exactly WHAT these verses refer to? Do you assume that they believed it was a cuboid? (see attached image) And if you do, what proof do you have of it? So why dont you provide alternatives? If you were as scientifically minded as you would present yourself here, and us Christians should all believe that we are delusional fanatics, maybe you would care to tell us what the world view of all the Biblical authors was?

My contention is that if you are not able to provide a theory of your own, then you really have no business nor credentials in attempting to critic these passages of the Bible.

I conclude that most of these "Bible skepticism" threads are really masks for people who hate God and Christianity, and cannot come to terms with the larger philosophical issues of death and misfortune.

Psychologically speaking most people need something to tear down when their lives dont go right, so they choose God and Christianity because they cant understand how God would have let them down...