I am working on a proof of concept with A6 pro that is entirely hinged on being a MMO. I have read carefully through this entire thread and every single post, because this kind of issue concerns me greatly.

It is my full understanding that in order to achieve an MMO I would need to create a game world that existed across xNumber of servers, each accomodating approx 64 players. With hand written enhancements such as only running things on clients and using the server to check that everyone is playing fair and in reasonably good synch with each other.

Limiting what is sent to and from the server to essential traffic.

If I understand what fastlane and the majority of the experienced MP developers who have posted here, including Mr.Schwarz, they are finding the network infrastructure to be somewhat over difficult.

The debate over what is advertised for the product, I believe, is sidetracking this issue, at least for now. The real message Conitec should be sending out, and maybe are trying too, is that any suggestions on ways to geniunly improve the product are welcome, and we will look into this seriosuly.

Frankly, a product based on a comunity of enthusiastic game developers needs to at least be seen to listen to its customers. So there is really no need to escalate the issue based on what is or isnt currently or previously advertised.

Is the issue even, d_play or not to d_play?

I'm not sure. I think the issue is that we don't have a conitec made demo for many of the core features and Multiplay, especially MMO's, are a very hot topic that we should definatly have a demo for.

TBH: If I was conitec, I would be making these demos, branding them with Conitec content and using them both as advertising for potential new customers and to prove core tech.

This would really help move gamestudio forward and greatly reduce any threads here that debate core functionality, and I would spend less time reading condesending responses about '5 year failed projects' and validity of the developers claim there in.

I am working as a developer for one of the largest games companies in Europe and our products can take 3-5 years to shelf. If we found out our core technology might not be capable of something huge like MP less than a year from shipping....

Chaos!

So please, lets try and figure out what the problem is and maybe someone here could make a 16-32 player demo, and we could all calm down a little smile

plus, I can continue getting my fumbled MP scripting a little less fuzzled grin

@fastlane: just spotted the 'False Advertising' thread, definatly good to seperate these issues. Sorry I missed it before this post smile

Last edited by indiGLOW; 08/23/08 12:17. Reason: @fastlane

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss