Hi Frank,

Quote:
Regarding casual or not: I agree with you to dismiss this definition in our heads. An artist shall be free of any constraints. This is a good approach. But the world outside, the game magazines and web reporters still will put it into a drawer and categorize as they learned it.

Your world is indeed small, if it only extends to game magazines and web reporters. None of these groups actually counts as a consumer. smile

We really should not care what "Dorky, live in mom and dads basement, web game reviewers", think. Yes, I have an opinion on this....

There are some wonderful games being sold at the iPhone store, most of which would be classifed as casual by some game blogging asshole. Funny, I have yet to see the word casual used much if at all in regards to iPhone games...

To me I think Guitar Hero is a casual game, it could easily be done by a small team and small budget. Nobody refers to Guitar Hero as a casual game. That's because marketing can convince lap dog gamers, that its more than a casual game....

Go forth, build with your tools, make some kick ass games, sell them everywhere. Create, thats all that matters....

There was a saying, a while back, popular with us "Punk Rock" guys, it said, "F**K Art, Let's Dance". That's when Punk rock was under a simular assualt from the media, and trying to categorize it as something. It's music, dumb ass, all music is art, all games are art. It's that simple....

Ken

Last edited by Nardulus; 07/23/08 14:13.