Quote:

While I'm not sure on any actual numbers here, I'd have to say that odds are he'd be getting anywhere $0.75 to $1 a unit.

[bunch of stuff]

...I could be wrong, but it would seem likely to be something close to this. I'd love to be proven wrong and hear he made more...

Just from inquiries I have made to various publishers regarding this type of sale, he will end up with a bit more per sale.

On large title the percentage that you used is correct. That is between 5 and 10%. However the value lines of software offer higher returns to the development house for a number of reasons.

First, the manufacturing cost is lower. This game comes in a jewel case with a cover and a printed CD. Compare that to a AAA game which comes in a jewel case with a cover and a printed CD in a box with a manual and a few other things. Total cost per unit for USA BASS is probably closer to 75 cents or a lot less even (I know I can get 500 CDs pressed and stuck in Jewel cases for about a dollar a piece - and 33,000+ is a lot more than 500...).

Next, a good chunk of the money which the publisher takes off the top goes to pay advertising costs. AAA titles spend a lot of money (almost as much as the development costs) on advertising. It also goes to pay for shelf space and other marketing related expenses. In this case you will not see that happening. Granted the publisher still gets the biggest piece of the pie - but the developer gets a bigger piece in proportion to say a AAA developer.

In the end he will probably be getting about $2 per unit (unless of course he is getting a flat rate).

One of the best ways to get info on this type of stuff is to go to Wal Mart (or you favorite store), grab a few different CDs from the value software section, and call up the publishers. While they are usually quite busy, you can get a good ammount of info from them.

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.