Quote:

@lostclimate: hell, i do not condemn baking shadows. you didn't get my point. so again, in slowmo:
1. a standard acknex render looks like this: http://www.churness.com/axys/NoLightMap.jpg so this is "our 3dgs state of technology". wow.
2. vent created a plugin. it is a plugin like matt's sphere engine: it tries to add features to a6 (in other words, kill the inconveniences) by sacrificing ease of use (you need a bunch of additional programs and customise piles of code to work with it) and speed (>sphere).
3. everyone says "aaaah" when they see David's pictures. don't forget: standard acknex looks like the screen posted in 1.) what you like is a) the light and shadow rendering done in gile[s] (not 3dgs) and b) vent's plugin (not 3dgs). the scene wouldn't look close as good as it's now.
nevertheless, David has done a nice work in setting up the scene, choosing colors, textures, building the environment etc.
4. acknex is not even capable of using this 10 year old shadow baking technology at a decent level, or tell me why David couldn't light his scene with a6 onboard-tools. i do not want to talk about dynamic shadows.
5. why should shadowmapping be bad? even doom3 uses it http://seiryu.cside.to/3dfps/Doom3/doom3-shadow01.jpg
6. what makes me sad is that, even if you wanted to, you simply could let the tga-transparent textured tree throw a dynamic shadow on the ground. and, in fact, without the plugin, you couldn't even use a static one.

all in all: a work around, like vent's plugin, is barely an engine feature. i like vent's plugin as well. but it cannot console me that this should be a built-in easy to use standard engine feature. not the work of an external program and a hobby(? excuse me if it's wrong) programmer.

oh, and:

Quote:
... completely confused and should probably should drop out of the gaming industry.

you are part of the game industy? are you really? or are you only someone who wants to be? show us your products then...

This post hs nothing to do with the nativc capabilities of 3dgs.. why are you talking about them? Also Game Design is never easy so yes you need a little experience to use stuff. As far as doom3 using dynamic shadows... so? doom looked like crap, with hard edges, and way too much specularity on everything it made it look horrible, what should be strived for is a mix between dynamic and static lighting.

\
That last comment.... Im not sure how to take that, seeing as you do not know me, but im going to take it as an insult because that sounds like tho tone of the (sarcastic?) question. Yes I do consider myself "in the industry" I make all my income thru game design, and so far I've work on two published titles, and am doing work on another 3 that will be published soon. Are they AAA? no, but casual games are indeed still a part of the game design industry, and so are simulators.

I recomment a mod of some sort warn broozer for his seemingly insulting comment.