I'm planning for 100 because the strongest side of this 'game' is that it has no AI. (Maby just a little,if possible client-side,for animals) I was thinking in somehow splitting the whole in 5 servers,each managing the data transfers of 24 clients (20 clients with 4 other servers) but I think this will produce high latency because data has to travel to a middle computer before arriving at the target (client/server)
I'm thinking of 100 because this way people can form 'factions'. It'll still be enough 'demonstrating' with 50 clients , but with less than 50 it'll be boring,thrust me
Isnt it possible with GSTNet ? To be able to send to only one specific client...
The player stats & levels , plus dynamic world creation will be handled by the clients accessing a few MySQL databases on diffrent machines (for diffrent systems) I was thinking even about client-side movement if its possible,to not send input,then send it back,then send to all other clients (Plus ofcourse area sending...if player is near another player).
The only things to be send are player possition + pan and a few variables to determine fighting or doing other activities and interaction. If done smart it could be minimised to no more than 3 vars I think.
Than again , I'm not a MP programmer only SP

PS.: I hope someone shows interest , if noone does I'll post my entire idea and design so far in the game design section , hopefully someone likes it and responds with help

EDIT : Forgot to mention. I'm not only refusing to pay but asking for free help because I'm 'designing' this for ME and YOU (the community of this forum) because we all share the same problems and help eachother. You probably dont know me (I've managed to stay in the shadows ) but I know you (I mean some people of the community) and I've seen what people create,and I've grew to love and appreciate this forum as my little online 'home'. Maby this sounds stupid,but thats how I feel about it,so I wanned to share an idea with the hope that someone can help me make it possible for all of us to have some Fun.

Last edited by EpsiloN; 10/09/07 19:22.

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201