Quote:

you should be requesting that stencil shadows have perspective -- vertex-based projection instead of object based.

Yes....if SS are capable of this and a more "Sphere-like" shadow can be produced only with good ol' tried and true SSs then that would be grand.

@jcl: If that's something Bill allows via DX9 then make it so, please. It would make all the difference in the world.....rendering speed be damned. Stencils have been around forever and no one complained much for those years (or anyone that matters...they're still used in dozens....hell hundreds.....of titles and smaller studios/teams that don't necessarily want or need full, Glorious shaders-based shadows). A more accurate perspective based SS that can grow and shrink and display on ceilings without shaders is a Holy Grail for me and many others. We don't all want to screw around with shadowmapping...at least not right now.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links