@Matt: A6 is a solid engine for adv. games, and there are plenty of realtime adv. out there. 2.5D games can be done with A6, but there's some work involved to do it, and for me it isn't worth it; thus the switch to something that does it out of the box. Of course, if I knew of a way to pull it off in an easily reproducible manner, I'd stick with A6/A7.

I suppose you could do it with Blender and vent's MDL7 exporter. You would build your level and create a render. You'd then add in the hidden collision hulls and export only that. It would simply be a matter of slapping the render on the side of a block, placing it the correct distance away from the camera, and placing the collision hull so that all of the geometry lines up correctly with the background. The problem, though is dealing with parts of the background that the player can walk behind. You'd have render out a separate sprite and place it in the appropriate place in the level away from the camera and still line up correctly with the background. That's the tricky part, and it can be a hassle.

Sorry, I'm depressing everyone. I'd say my own personal 3DGS fave is still Adventure in Pocia. Everyone should try that out at least once. I learned a lot from that's project's code.

http://zio.echoshift.net/?page_id=5

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links