Quote:

Movement was sometimes difficult for two things I think...
1) Mouse pan too fast.
2) Controls were kinda weird, took a bit to get used to it.

For battles(or whatever you will have), will the camera move?
I think it would be cool if, when a enemy or whatever is present, the camera would move to place the player(at a slight angle) between itself and whatever the object is.
Maybe end up at player head level.

1) The mouse sensitivity is set to "3" I think which works for me, but may not for you. If you want to change it, press "Tab" while in the game and type "mouse_sensitivity = 1" or "mouse_sensitivity = 2" and this will slow the pan speed down.

2) The controls are configured like a traditional 1st or 3rd person set up(forward/backward/strafing/rotating with mouse or keys). This title started out more like a Mafia or Max Payne and changed over to a typical survival horror view. I haven't adapted the controls fully, yet, which would be forward/backward/rotating with mouse or with a couple of keys. I'd love to have an "analog" style where the direction you press is the forward direction the player takes(like Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 2 and 3s alternate method(its default method is the traditional survival horror style)).

As for battles, well, this is the big stumbling block in the genre. One of the most consistent criticisms in otherwise very positive reviews is the combat. I would like to implement a Zelda style lock on system. If an enemy is within range, you hold down a button/key and the view changees to a traditional 3rd person view and the player and camera's pan is fixed on the enemy. I have most of the code, but it is a bit screwy and no collision detection occurs while locked on. Unacceptable and, of course, that wall collision thing fouls up the traditional 3rd person camera. Like I've already mentioned, there's a chance of a return to a traditional view, however that won't happen unless I can get a perfect wall management solution.

I've also toyed with a combat system like you mentioned. Positioning the camera in a certain spot or vicinity(and forgetting about directly locking onto the enemy) and having them battle it out. You win you proceed.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links