I think the white patch was part of the level geometry. I wasn't sure how to describe it.

Quote:

Maybe it has something to do with your monitor's gamma setting?

Absolutely. But I'm comfortable with the settings while playing other games, (even 'dark' ones such as Splinter Cell) so I assume other users will see your game under similar circumstances.

I tried this on my laptop; with the brightness all the way up and the overhead light off, I can make out the surroundings well enough. However, if there's glare on the screen, or if I go to power-save mode (which reduces the brightness), I cannot. My opinion is that you'd gain by increasing the contrast: keep the blacks black, but bring the low greys up, and bring the brightest grays up to white. You'd retain a striking film noir feel while making it more comfortable for the user.

Anyway, that is really my only criticism; I especially think the camera work is excellent. Also, though perhaps this is just because you're using the soldier model, the sparing use of color within the otherwise greyscale is particularly striking.