Quote:

If you promise to write a little more sophisticated test app and let me know what you think

I can't.

I have a prototype to deliver by the end of this month to one of the grants. All of our code is in A6 and I haven't touched A7 nor C-Lite since neither fully support MP (A7's C-script might but I have a standing rule not to work with software right after it's released). As such, I cannot at this moment try or work with new software no matter how tempting it is. After our prototype delivery, I will be spending LOTS of time with business and gaming consultants to see what our next step is. Honestly, up until now the leading contender was to raise capital for full-blown production under the Multiverse platform... it's just too tempting and professional to pass up. I was going to then keep our developed work as a way to quickly prototype game ideas for ourselves or potential clients. However, if RakNet is "all that and a bag of chips", it could lead to the my original plan to stick with A6/7... not without it's risks since 3DGS' priority is not networking and Multiverses is, but I have to consider all possibilities.

In any case, regarding some earlier comments, I obviously was not thinking the "raknet" and we have lot's of code. How much of it is "workarounds" that can be avoided with RakNet I don't know but it sounds that, just like any other solution, you trade one workaround for another. We try to abstract as much as possible with our code so that we don't use send_xx() all over the place but have a other functions that do that for us (like send_to_client(), or send_to_everyone(), that sort of thing). My architecture is platform independent but that doesn't mean that I won't have to spend tons of time implementing it (or rather re-implementing it) As such, I think that it might not be hard to get our network traffic modified to work with RakNet but the event handlers we would have to program ourselves as well as any type diffences, and just understanding how RakNet works makes this a daunting task. I guess without you seeing my code nor I seeing yours that was a pretty silly question to ask but it was worth a shot anyways.