Quote:

The manual says clients don't need port assigned they obtain them automatically. The server can be run with port ranging from 2300 to 2400. What I don't understand is why I would want to run the server on any port? If the client doesn't have to know it because the engine will connect to the correct port!

Still buggy in 6.6... thanks!

The client will scan automatically from 2300 to 2400 until if finds a 3DGS server. Therefore using -port on the client is unnecessary and that is another bug, that we actually have to manually input the -port on the client. What it should work like is that the client doesn't need to -port but the server does and the server doesn't need to -ip but the client does (unless session_connecting).

Do me a favor and put another bug report up. I fear mine may have been lost in the shuffle. I will then go and post my bug as an addendum to your post and a reminder to conitec to get it fixed soon!

Quote:

What I would like to know, is how the client application finds the server port if the server is behind a router. Does the server penetrate the router or vice versa? Or does the client-side application just try port 2300, 2301 etc etc until it matches!?

Exactlly, it will scan until found. If you are behind a router, your best bet is to use port-forwarding so the correct message automatically goes to the correct server.