Quote:

Well, not really. If something has an end, it's logical to assume it had a start. However we're more or less right in the middle of knowing either side, right? We don't know if time will end, nor do we know if it started... Logic doesn't demand infinity to have a start, and you can't rule out the possibility of time being infinite.

I've already plainly stated my views on this. And no, logic doesn't say that infinity has a start. By its definition, infinity will never have a start because you can always traverse an infinite number of days before getting there, so you'll never reach it. If you reach the start, then you know it isn't infinite.

Quote:

If you're slightly lost in this logic, look at all negative values out there. Basically something out of nothing, in my opinion would be a negative number becoming positive. A negative size doesn't quite exist, right, or does it?

No, believe me I'm not lost on the logic at all. If nothing, including time, existed, then at what point did existence start? If nothing exists, it will exist for an eternity because there will be no time. That means the universe will never begin.

A negative size violates the law of non-contradiction.

Furthermore, that's a poor analogy. Something coming out of nothing isn't paralleled by a positive number coming out of a negative number. That would be something coming from something.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 05/16/07 23:58.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."