I understand completely and I wasn't saying the question itself is strange, I was merely pointing out how biased we tend to be in asking such questions.

We can't explain, so we all speculate instead.

True and so do I, but it strikes me every time how biased people are in their 'wondering about' things. It's not a critique towards the basic curiosity at all. I do wonder about the same things.

Quote:

What is this search, searching?? And why search in the first place. To me, I can't get it out of my mind that someone triggered this search. Logically, by looking at the NA itself, we should someday be able to solve this. Which makes this ever more interesting.

Another good example of this bias I was talking about.

It's no critique, but these selective rules can't be seen as one sort of being pushing life (and us) around, how ever coherent the effects and the fact that apparently it happens on all scales, a lot of beings are being filtered out. What we are looking at is not the result of ONE species dodging the selective factors, no, what we are looking at is the result of adaptation through the system that filters on specific qualities in specific situations. I wouldn't call that 'search'.

Ignore if you like, since it's a linguistic/interpretative kind of thing but "search" would also suggest some sort of 'motive', right? But eventhough everything is trying to survive, some branches of evolution, some species, some beings don't really have a choice.

Evolution of life is not so much a search, but more so simply the result of survival.

Let's look at it this way, you've got 5 fish species in one basin and in order to survive they have to swim through 1 hole. Unfortunately, only 1 species of the 5 is small enough to be able to swim through. You can hardly call that 'search of life to survive', it's just the others are filtered out.

Common expressions like "life will find a way" are biased, because for some of life there won't even be a way.

The existence of the whole processes of evolution really is the only reason why 'life' hasn't died out already on this planet. These processes are complex and make that some of life per generation that get's 'filtered' will survive, but some branches of evolution come to dead-ends too, others split into several species and what more. My point being ...? The survival of life is to complex for a generalization of this kind.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software