Quote:

I still noticed that it dont apply the effects of being raised.

Well, I did some tests now, and I can confirm this, even when I create the normal map (or should I call it a DOT3 bump map) based on a greyscale texture, that has a lot of contrast (I use a little ATI tool for this). The 3D effect is only visible in areas with high specularity.
Maybe for this shader the normal maps are better created with a different tool or procedure (maybe with 3D models)? I will try that.
Or is there a line in the .fx file, that controls the strength of the 3D effect?

There are some other things, that I noticed ...

1) For outdoor stuff it would be great if the shader could react to changes of sun_color. At the moment I would have to adjust the material, but this works fine (like with predefined materials btw., so it is consistent).

2) Objects with the NM material seem to be immune for shadows. I just tested with stencil shadows. Shadows are not rendered on the surface of the normalmapped models and the models also do not cast shadows.

3) The shading on the faces - when they receive sun_light is not really realistic. There is a visible fall-off (on large faces). The sun_light however should not produce such a fall-off even if it looks nice sometimes

All my tests were done in a model-based level without blocks and lightmapping.

Anyway itīs a really nice and very useful shader!