Wow! I'm absolutely amazed.

Atheists have to be the most arrogant, condescending people on this planet.

Quote:

I wish Irish would go away, he just takes a topic and screws it in the rear.

The only difference between your mouth and a horse's butt is that at least a horse's butt stops spewing crap every now and again. Zing!

Quote:

Yeah, but still, why the heck would that be stupid?! In polytheistic religions it's a constant battle between the Gods actually, not so much as in real fighting mostly, but definately in status.

Man, you should read up on some literature about for example South-East Asian religions sometime. In their religions there are whole stories, legends and myths about one God messing around with another God, turning it into something not so nice, pissing off one of the greater Gods because it was done without permission and so on and so forth. Some inscriptions even mention Gods claiming to be the number one God stating the others are pathetic non-god losers and weak ...

So, Phemox your reasoning that I'm wrong about it being stupid is that some people actually believe it? Your grasp of logic is astounding.

Just because some people actually believe it, doesn't make it less stupid. Though it could be argued that they don't believe in the exact thing that I called stupid.

Also, in light of those religions, that makes any comparison to the hebrew texts even more ridiculous.

Quote:

I'm not saying I myself believe in Asian religion, but as we've just discovered you are infact narrow minded when it comes to what's written in a book.

Oh! Well case closed. Next time I need to figure something out about the bible I'll make sure to check atheists.net like you guys to find apparent contradictions that professional scholars just so happen to ignore because they're fanatics and they just aren't open minded like atheists that will believe anything, no matter how stupid, as long as it conforms to their worldview. One day, I hope to acheive enlightenment akin to what I've observed here.

Quote:

Somehow people want unconciously want polytheism.
Even in a monotheistic religion like chistianity, there are
some "Additional lesser Gods", that not called God, but instead
angels, human saints, the devil.

Seams to be hard for people to just have one God, and not any other additional
"supernatural beeing".

That's illogical. By their nature, angels aren't God, or gods. Do the math.

Quote:

Irish_farmer, ad hominem arguments won't give you advantage in a discussion. On the contrary, they hint that you're out of arguments against the message, and thus had to retreat to attacking the messenger instead.

Then what does that say about you repeatedly calling anyone who would possibly offer a counterargument, no matter how reasoned, a fanatic? The fact of the matter is, you have nothing but bitter anti-religious ramblings going for you. You're so closed minded that you can do nothing but belittle anyone who would disagree, not on the basis of their arguments, but solely on the fact that they disagree with you. As if in some ironic attempt to cop yourself out, you then outline exactly why nothing you say should be taken seriously.

Quote:

If you think that Asimov is wrong, just read his writings and disprove them.

How about you give me a good reason to take a physicist, writing about the bible, seriously. As if he knows better than people who devote their entire lives to studying religious texts.

"I can't pretend that in writing this book, I am making any significant original contribution to Biblical scholarship; indeed, I am not competent to do so."

Sounds like he was pretty confident in his abilities.

That aside, I'm not berating his book for its content, but just the fact that an article critical of the bible would reference someone who has little to no business being used as any kind of credible source. You're reading way too far into what I said. I don't really care that he wrote the book. What's pathetic is that his unscholarly book is used as if it was scholarly.

If you want me to take him seriously, then tell me what his qualifications are. Tell me what, in his book, is so damning to the bible that it simply can't be ignored?

Also, if you adore him so much, then your polytheism charge is out the window. He provides a way (right in the beginning of vol 1) in which elohim could be interpreted only as one God. Are you going to charge him with not knowing what he's talking about, or admit that your hypothesis is based on faulty exegesis and/or assumptions?

Quote:

When Adam has done his deed, he gets his sexual reward, with which the creation is finished.

Based on the fact that you just pulled this out of your butt, that says more about your view of women than it does the bible.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 12/06/06 07:24.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."