by Aku_Aku. 02/20/24 12:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TipmyPip, 1 invisible), 521 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wichtelwald (Devmania 2015) #455448
10/20/15 10:10
10/20/15 10:10
7 Images
F
FBL Offline OP
Senior Expert
Wichtelwald (Devmania 2015)

Our Devmania overnight contest project "Wichtelwald" has been released!
As a team of four people we had less than 24 hours of time to come up with something related to "winter dream".
Our game made the 4th place.

"The guardian of the hut one more time had some issues with his home goblins. At some point he only wanted to have silence in his wooden house and being in a cold fury he simply threw the former helpful goblins all out his home. Since then the goblins come back to haunt his his wooden hut every night. They try to steal all your wood billets, so the warming fire cannot continue to burn and silence will come back to the woods. So your task as hut guardian is to collect wood billets for the chimney fire and snowballs as ammunition during day. At night, linger on top of the roof, take goblins into target and smash them with snowballs. Never ever let the cosy warming fire extinguish!"

Collect wood and snowballs during day, and defend your hut against wood stealing goblins during night.

This version is gamepaly wise identical to the contest version, but some performance issues and random crashes have been fixed.
Also the wording of the gameplay hints was improved and an annoying sound was replaced.

Event: http://2015.devmania.net/ (Devmania)
Download: http://vksbm.de/ackcon/download/wichtelwald.zip (18MB)
Source: https://github.com/padmalcom/wintertraum/

Credits:
Ruben Freiknecht: Music / Sounds
Nils Daumann: Coding / Graphics
Jonas Freiknecht: Coding / UI
Robert Jäger: Coding / Modeling
5 Comments
Re: Wichtelwald (Devmania 2015) [Re: FBL] #455839
10/31/15 13:25
10/31/15 13:25
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
first I suggest your team work on your wording , the description starts off talking about an individual and the circumstances surrounding the game motivation , while suddenly midway in the introduction ,you switch from this individual to "you" .

to bring silence back to the woods ? , I suggest peace could be a better word.

the white text displayd in those screen shots are as barely noticeable as is your grey menu , the colours of text and menu's are just as grey and white as your scenes , either dim the backround scene with a darker colour or do something with the ui colours , also the size of the ui is totally lost in the size of your scene .

the goblins are way to big , they are almost as high as the house ,which makes your trees and house and whole scene look oddly scaled .

everything kinda looks grey and boring to me , what would have attracted attention is Christmas lights and decorations to bring a little colour and depth to the scenes .

edit: oh and some more of my oppinion and advice , the trees in the backround are to white , they look like snowflake popsicles sticking out , also there is a weird flatness in that menu scene ,because depth is lost and I think its a shading and shadow related thing .

a little blue+white could have brought home the feeling of winter , it could have came from slowly rising ground fog or mixed in to the snow shading.

some foot prints in the snow might have helped out with the feeling and impression of a snowy world .

the feeling of a dreamy fun winter game ,is just not there , I really believe a cristmas lights and decorations over the border of the scene , the ui buttons ,somewhere in the scene like the house or the tree or the fences ,would have helped you a lot.

is there a score counter ? I dont know , I dont want to download it.

other than that , not bad for a whole team and 24 hours , to grab 4th .

Re: Wichtelwald (Devmania 2015) [Re: Wjbender] #455841
10/31/15 14:28
10/31/15 14:28
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Originally Posted By: Wjbender
first I suggest your team work on your wording , the description starts off talking about an individual and the circumstances surrounding the game motivation , while suddenly midway in the introduction ,you switch from this individual to "you" .

to bring silence back to the woods ? , I suggest peace could be a better word.

You are right, the wording is not perfect, but "peace" in that case is not a good replacement for "silence", maybe "peace and quiet" or something like that, but I am not sure about that either.

the white text displayd in those screen shots are as barely noticeable as is your grey menu , the colours of text and menu's are just as grey and white as your scenes , either dim the backround scene with a darker colour or do something with the ui colours , also the size of the ui is totally lost in the size of your scene .

You are absolutely right about this.

the goblins are way to big , they are almost as high as the house ,which makes your trees and house and whole scene look oddly scaled .

The goblins do fit into the door of the house, only the house is very small, which was a decision we made for gameplay reasons, which would not work with a bigger house.

everything kinda looks grey and boring to me , what would have attracted attention is Christmas lights and decorations to bring a little colour and depth to the scenes .

Christmas lights and decorations wouldn't fit what we were going for, but you are right that some additional color and contrasts would help a lot in making it look more appealing.

edit: oh and some more of my oppinion and advice , the trees in the backround are to white , they look like snowflake popsicles sticking out , also there is a weird flatness in that menu scene ,because depth is lost and I think its a shading and shadow related thing .

Yep, it does need shadows.

a little blue+white could have brought home the feeling of winter , it could have came from slowly rising ground fog or mixed in to the snow shading.

some foot prints in the snow might have helped out with the feeling and impression of a snowy world .

Both good ideas.

the feeling of a dreamy fun winter game ,is just not there , I really believe a cristmas lights and decorations over the border of the scene , the ui buttons ,somewhere in the scene like the house or the tree or the fences ,would have helped you a lot.

is there a score counter ? I dont know , I dont want to download it.

There is a score counter, but no highscore or anything.
If you don't want to download it, don't laugh
The good thing is that we only spend about 15 hours on it and don't try to sell it to anyone. We had fun creating it, which was the whole reason to do so and if someone else may also enjoy the product that would be awesome, but if not we don't really care.

other than that , not bad for a whole team and 24 hours , to grab 4th .

Thanks.

Re: Wichtelwald (Devmania 2015) [Re: Slin] #455842
10/31/15 14:54
10/31/15 14:54
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
maby the cristmas light thing is rooted in an idea I am thinking about , don't know but I just think if you were to dazzle it up a bit you could actually have a decent little product to boast about .

the reason I am saying this , is because the concept is okay ,reminds me of swamp rush (or something like that) .

you should be proud , you represented gamestudio through your talents , (not even gamestudio represents gamestudio).

any way , for 15 hours in a 24 hour limit with a 4th position is good .

Compulsive compiler
Re: Wichtelwald (Devmania 2015) [Re: Wjbender] #455843
10/31/15 15:30
10/31/15 15:30
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
well, there was no 24h limit, the gamejam started ataround 3pm and lasted until 11am the next day, so in total we could have had 20h, minus a little bit of sleep, which to be honest was less than 5h we were actually working on the game for about 16-17h (so a bit more than my previous 15h guess...)

Besides that the game turned out to be more fun than we expected, but we all got jobs, lives and other projects to attend to, so the latest version is probably all this game is ever going to be.

However, next weekend I will be attending another gamejam where we'll have about 48h, with people I don't know yet and probably some technology I have no experience with tongue There will be about 120 people attending and the company organizing it pays for food and drinks.
That is going to be fun and may even result in something cool, we'll see laugh.

Re: Wichtelwald (Devmania 2015) [Re: Slin] #455844
10/31/15 16:10
10/31/15 16:10
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
you never know what may come from such an event , which is what makes it really interesting .

to actually come up with a playable concept , out of thin air , is something rare .

fun is what it is all about , people who enjoy making games are the ones who are able to produce enjoyable gaming experience if they decided to release a title , and in fact you can really see this in some successful titles out there.

getting serious about a game from the getgo , kinda ruins things somewhere along the development time if having fun with it is overwhelmed by being ,too serious .

(swamp attack ,that was the name I couldn't remember correctly)

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de