Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 01:28
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi), 903 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
MapBuilder #388396
12/02/11 10:49
12/02/11 10:49
5 Images
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
MapBuilder

MB is a lightweight outdoor level editor ideal for 3DGS beginners for creating game scenes within minutes without deep 3D knowledge. It is terrain based, populating with sprites, models, and wmb entities is really easy, just one click. Entity placement and modification, sky and material adjustment, terrain deformation and texture painting in real time, by a simple graphic interface, with open source save/load system.

Wmb levels can be opened and exported too, from version: v.1.07. Postprocessing in WED is possible by .$$m files.

Freeware resources are included in the package. Compatible with both A7 and A8 engines. Suited for 3DGS 'Free' and 'Extra' editions of 3DGS. Later some additions of shader functionality can be expected for 'Commercial' users.

The editor package, 4 simple example game projects (open source, containing the necessary MB level loading scripts), a script and file package for creating new projects, and the (partially ready) online documentation can be found at MapBuilder homepage .

There are also some other resources and tutorials too. Everything for free laugh

More screenshots showing menu options and example scenes

Video Tutorials

The integrated RTS pathfinder and game AI system in development

90 Comments
Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #404503
07/10/12 06:31
07/10/12 06:31
germany
gri Offline
Serious User
gri  Offline
Serious User

germany
Originally Posted By: sivan
... e.g. when closing a level before loading a new level. ...

hi,

I checked that and.........e voila crash happens in this case too !

maybe a startingpoint

"Make a great game or kill it early" (Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios)
Re: MapBuilder [Re: gri] #404504
07/10/12 06:35
07/10/12 06:35
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
yeah thanks! today I'm going to make the 782364872364th patch grin

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #404516
07/10/12 12:42
07/10/12 12:42
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
just an idea, I heard that sometimes in Win7 compatibility mode helps

Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #404519
07/10/12 13:24
07/10/12 13:24
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
okay, last chance, please try this patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?yutahui3kla0zaq probably those small static arrays within struct array must not be freed... in XP it's okay in this way too. thanks for your help laugh

Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #404569
07/11/12 10:23
07/11/12 10:23
germany
gri Offline
Serious User
gri  Offline
Serious User

germany

hey sivan....

good news. first quicktest without the appcrash !

"Make a great game or kill it early" (Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios)
Re: MapBuilder [Re: gri] #404570
07/11/12 10:29
07/11/12 10:29
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
cool, I'm so happppppy laugh
I'm going to run through my codes again to avoid similar bugs, but on level load and on closing the terrain editor panels are done in the last patch. I'll upload the final patch tomorrow.

Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #404636
07/12/12 08:11
07/12/12 08:11
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
thanks to your great feedback, the update patch is now available!
http://www.mediafire.com/?y74smadb7zxb4s3

description and other mirror are going to be on the homepage later today, as soon as the server starts to work...

Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #407636
09/17/12 12:05
09/17/12 12:05
Hessen, Germany
T
Tempelbauer Offline
Expert
Tempelbauer  Offline
Expert
T

Hessen, Germany
hey sivan
you still working on your great editor? any news?

Re: MapBuilder [Re: Tempelbauer] #407646
09/17/12 14:13
09/17/12 14:13
Budapest
sivan Offline OP
Expert
sivan  Offline OP
Expert

Budapest
Hi,

thanks for the question, fortunately it has some actuality laugh

first I thought to stop here improving the public version, and develop further it only due to my own needs. I worked mainly on my game AI and better vegetation representation, but for fun last week I decided to add new things:

- more flexible wmb import features for levels made in WED (ready), where no proper action assignment is necessary for terrain

- as I upgraded to 3dgs Commercial, I had to get some shader experiences. probably there will be an option on startup to select Free/Extra and Commercial mode. thus you can use water-, tree animation-, and HDR shaders with real time adjustments, and later a few other useful things I do not know exactly...

- model and map-entity preview before placement (nearly ready) maybe with some modifications possibilities before placement for better work-flow

- generating static shadow maps (first version is completed 15 minutes ago), which is compatible with Free/Extra version through terraintex.fx (I use a modified version of it compatible with the water shader)

- if I finally get a new pc I will try to integrate PSSM shadows too (did some experiments, it looks nice, but quite slow on my current pc), or something similar (I would be happy with a faster shadowmapping system)

and I'm waiting for the new 3dgs version. this is the main reason of no updates, because terrain deformation will be much easier, and some engine bugs also fixed or to be fixed, like decal shadow errors caused by the mirror water shader.

Re: MapBuilder [Re: sivan] #407743
09/18/12 19:46
09/18/12 19:46
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

@Sivan :
When i see your tool , there is an incredible amount of Work and coding behind indeed laugh
(I made a tool long long time ago in BLitz3D, some of my first 3D engines)

So don't take personnaly or too bad my critics , perhaps i'm hard with your tool caus i use other 3D engine real time editors ?
Think what you want, it's only my taste and a pure 3D artist view :

- We see in screen , Lot lot of keys shortcuts Keys :
some people only use mouse buttons like me (for BLender i only use some 10 shortcut keys i use the more for modeling all other is buttons same thing with 3D engine editors)
When people use 3,5 tools or more depending on what they do, it's hard to have ot remember special keys, so buttons and menus are better for me for example.

- The world rotate, move is too much confusing compared to any standard 3D modeling or 3D world editor of 3D engines.
I stopped , caus in default view, the terrain rotated very very stangely or only a little, i wanted fast and free rotating and moving speed like in standard 3D editors frown

I would like to press :
Alt + mouse Left = rotate around center point XZ
Alt + mouse Right = rotate around center point Y
Shift + mouse Left = move XZ
Shift + mouse Right = move Y
And the rotation seems to be hard, it only rotated a little. It should rotate as much as the view : if you are far it rotates a lot, is you are near the center view it rotates a little ...

- Terrain editing Height, as too much strong, i didn't find a simple way to adjust the strengh or dind't the menu buttons titles ?
Where is the Force adjustment slider ? Simply like other tools/editor ?
Some gizmo showing the circle of sculpting the terrain is really nedeed, wihtout that it's hard to see where we paint.
I vene prefer 10 times ot use MED , that is very smooth to paint terrain height ... frown
And more clear to create a new one , caus i don't understand among all type of terrains that are proposed what terrain type is what ? only textures change ? why so much terrain to choose ? you could put some explanation text saying what terrain type it is , what changes ?

- Grass, trees, etc .. should be visible in some little 3D view whe nwe select them to paint them on terrain

- It is possible to create a totally new terrain, with no textures , and by chossing some sizes ?

-Where is the texture paint mode for terrain ?

Well to conclude, it's very hard for me to use it compared to smooth other 3D terrain editors of other engines. it needs a lot of visual Gizmos, lot better simple ot understand menus or icons ?
More simplicity , and for 3D artists , menus and what is going on should be lot lot more visual.
For example some things or paramaters could have some explanation ,some little text aside or below.

Well you can try some other 3d engines terrain editor and try to make same behaviour for world move , rotate, and same easy to understand menus ?

Just my personnal thought.

Now the good thing , is that your paint system for grass, and other stuff is great ,and works well.
The possibility to choose some Skys and waters directly is cool also , perhaps you could put some with better resolution and use some LOD Mipmapping to avoid performance loosing ? (these ones are too much low res for my taste, too much for old games)
It's the same problem of 3DGS proposing no textures , or too too much old ones with the package for beginners or new comers !

To conlude i find it not enought easy , accessible in some areas, and for 3D artists, it would need more simplicity/explanation , more visual love also laugh
I fond it's more map editor for programmer that don't have the choice, just my htought don't take it bad ....

Anyway, that's an incredible amount of work , and amazing stuff, i hope you'll success in making a game by using your Map Editor laugh

Last edited by ratchet; 09/18/12 19:48.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de