Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 20:05
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (7th_zorro, AndrewAMD, TedMar), 1,306 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
3DGS Easy Scripter #283146
08/06/09 01:35
08/06/09 01:35
8 Images
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
3DGS Easy Scripter

hi, last August/September I was messing around with C# to improve my programming skills. I wanted to build a small utility that could dynamically build some very simple lite-c scripts. I had previously used a game creation tool called "Game Maker" and was very familiar with a Drag & Drop method to creating games.

I present '3DGS Easy Scripter', a tool to build lite-c applications using a clean, user friendly interface. I've attached a couple of screenshots of the interface and how different objects can be created. The whole idea of this app is to help new users start building games quickly without having to learn the language, and then when they need extra features they can program them in.

You can create all of the objects you see on the 'Create' menu, but i've still got a few more to add like views, structs, arrays etc.

Here is a run down of the current features...

*Create every engine object easily using visual properties. The output is shown in real-time so you know exactly what your game will look like.

*Features a 'Resource' system allowing you to load scripts, images, sounds, models etc. When the project is saved these are embedded into the file so you can share the project with other team members and they will have all the files necessary to run the project. Each resource type allows you to preview it, edit them in external applications.

*I've started developing a 'Template' system to allow creation of projects like FPS shooter, platformers etc. You can also build your own templates by using 'Save as template'.

*Through Stomousfall's C# wrapper, i've found a way to embed the acknex engine. This means you can view models and maps easily.

*For more advanced objects like particles and shaders i've started implementing real-time viewers, allowing you to easily build these objects and see the result immediately. I've included screenies of the particle and effect editors.

*You can now write your functions using advanced features such as syntax highlighing and intellisense. These are fully customizable so you can change keyword colours or add your own words.

*Lite-c as it is doesn't have a seperate object called 'Video', but i thought it was sensible to create a new object for videos. You can load various video formats and then you can use this video objects to play onto a target surface. The sound and video objects use Windows Media Player to preview the media. I decided to go with this because it is easy to implement and it is already installed with windows.

*One of the more complex parts of 3DGS Easy Scripter is the action system. Like i said before, i used to use 'Game Maker' and that used a drag & drop interface to build the game. I've designed the action editor with this in mind and now you can easily drag the event like 'Mouse Left Click' or 'Key Ctrl' and then add the behaviour you want. I've only added a couple of behaviours at the moment for testing but it works pretty well. All the properties are visually edited using the 'property grid' on the right.

*One of the most annoying things i find about using lite-c is creating panels. The reason is because there is no visual editor and so i have to guess coordinates. I know there is 'PanelEdit', but its not really visual. With this in mind i've built a visual panel editor allowing you to drag elements like buttons, windows, digits etc and place them where you want them. This part was actually written before i found the C# wrapper and so it is written in XNA. I might convert this to use the wrapper at a later stage.

* I'm in the process of developing a 'plug-in' system that allows you to write your own behaviours / functions and 3DGS Easy Scripter will add them to its library. The main reason for me building this is because you dont have to wait for me to implement it, plus the acknex engine does change from time to time, and i might not always be available to develop the app. This means that if you want to add support for Newton or another C++ DLL, then it 'should' be very easy to add into your workflow.

*I based a part of 3DGS Easy Scripter on visual studio and you may notice that it does look similar. One thing i like about visual studio is that it provides warnings and error messages. I havent got around to writing an error reporter but i do have a warning system ready to use. When you run the project this will notify you of any possible erors that might occur. This includes things like not loading an image into a BMAP or that a path no longer exists. I think it is helpful and prevents simple errors that we all make.

*3DGS Easy Scripter also features what i call a 'consistency mechanism'. This means that any changes you make to an object will be updated automatically in another object that references the changed object.Eg changing names/properties of a BMAP and the PANEL object will be also updated.

Thats some of the major features, but of course there is a lot more. I'm also planning to create a level editor to replace WED if i have the knowledge. Something similiar to GED but maybe a bit more advanced. You may notice that the current objects don't have all the properties like 'Materials' or 'Panels', i'm still developing those. Once you have added your engine objects and whatever else, just simply press run to test the game out. If it is OK, then you can export the script that 3DGS Easy Scripter will generate.

I'm hoping to have a beta version out around about October/Novemeber but i can't promise anything because i start university in October and so will have to dedicate my time to studying.

I welcome any comments or critism you have. Any questions of features / expected features are of course welcome. If you would like to request a feature then that is fine too, and i'll do my best to implement it. You can also PM me.

Thanks for your time.

visit http://www.djbm.kawanda.net for more information.

DJB.
Last edited by DJBMASTER; 03/08/10 03:04.
57 Comments
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: sebbi91] #298747
11/17/09 14:44
11/17/09 14:44
atari98 Offline
atari98  Offline

It lokk´s great
Respect!

Meine Fun Websiten
www.free4-fun.de.tl

www.gamer-liga-live.de.tl

Meine Game-Projekt Websiten
www.gamer-projects.de.tl
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: atari98] #300109
11/29/09 20:40
11/29/09 20:40
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

You shoud be hired by Conitec to create the A8 version laugh !

Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: ratchet] #300661
12/04/09 04:26
12/04/09 04:26
ShivaFooL Offline
ShivaFooL  Offline

I would like to try this when it's ready.
And it seems your website is down????

Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: ShivaFooL] #300677
12/04/09 10:49
12/04/09 10:49
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: ShivaFooL
I would like to try this when it's ready.
And it seems your website is down????

hmm yeh, my hosting seems to be making some changes to the server or something. I'll try and find out what's going on.

Thanks.

Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: DJBMASTER] #301885
12/14/09 23:32
12/14/09 23:32
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Update >>>

1) A small section has been made , "Project Settings", where you can edit the important features of your game such as mouse, window, resolution. I've tried to make it as easy as possible to visually change these properties eg, a visual dropdown where you can choose which mouse cursor to use, etc.

2) I have been thinking about incorporating some win32 elements into 3DGS Easy Scripter, because it is not always easy for beginners to grasp the winapi. Right now i've added support for adding window menus, popup (context) menus and system tray icons, all created through visual properties.

All required structs and functions are written to a seperate file called 'ProjectSettings.c', along with features mentioned in no 1. This is then just included in the main script.

I plan to next add support for native win32 controls like buttons, comboboxes, listboxs, etc. Finally i'll add a few functions to 'mod' the engine window like changing the icon, adding maximize buttons, adding scrollbars, etc.

Should be fun...

Thanks, DJB.

Last edited by DJBMASTER; 12/14/09 23:34.
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: sebbi91] #308620
02/04/10 00:24
02/04/10 00:24
Tn
StOrM Offline
StOrM  Offline

Tn
Yes it is the best thing so far, for 3dgs! It's coming along great to. Much more to come in the future, watch this space.

PKE Pain Is Reality! http://www.pkradio.net/
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: StOrM] #308637
02/04/10 03:32
02/04/10 03:32
Germany, BaW�
Rondidon Offline
Expert
Rondidon  Offline
Expert

Germany, BaW�
I know this is always hard to estimate, but when are you planning a release? I`m really anxious to your tool!

Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: sebbi91] #309126
02/07/10 12:58
02/07/10 12:58
Norfolk,England
mikaldinho Offline
mikaldinho  Offline

Norfolk,England
cool. i like the idea

Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: mikaldinho] #309133
02/07/10 13:43
02/07/10 13:43
United Kingdom
DJBMASTER Offline OP
Serious User
DJBMASTER  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Yeh, it is hard to estimate when I'll be releasing it because I keep finding new features to add to it all the time. I mean just the other day, I came up with a way to pack the game exe, dlls, models, textures, etc all into one exe file which runs exactly the same, so I think i'll add that feature to it too.

Right now I'm fixing a feature that I thought would have worked when I originally planned it, but it turns out that it's not as efficient as I thought, so I'm rebuilding that.

Other updates include...

1) Added support for structs such as Color, Angle, Color4, Vector, D3DVERTEX, Contact, etc.

2) Users can define their own structs visually by selecting data-types, names and comments.

3) You can add #defines. #typedefs and other pre-processor directives visually through various menus.

4) The Panel editor had the finally elements completed, which were digits and needles. Digits are not as easy to understand, and the manual doesn't document them brilliantly, but with easy scripter, what you see is what you get.

5) The function editor has been updated to include an 'error-checking' mechanism, duplicating visual studio. It is in its infancy but currently it can check things such as if you are using a variable that you haven't defined, whether a function exists, etc. Hopefully I can add checks for type-casting, illegal pointer indirection, array overflow...

6) Building on point '5'...You can now customize the keywords, function names, variables and types in the function editor. You can edit their descriptions to your custom project or personal definition. You can also modify the colors used in syntax higlighting. Bracket highlighting, automatic outlining and block/smart indent has been added. Finally a range of code snippets specific to the lite-c language have been included.

7) Various shaders from the 'Shader Library' have been added to the effect editor, ranging from simple ambient shaders, to more complex ones like environment glass and bump mapping. This goes for post-processing shaders too. Tools were also built to modify an entity's skills and skins at runtime, to see them instantly in the shader.

8) A debugging engine has been drafted so that you can view the values of variables and engine objects in the editor, as your game is playing. A console window interface will be included so you can output your own messages for debugging purposes.

9) A .wmb inspector was created, for my own purpose so I could view what was inside my level files, but I think it is a pretty nice tool to have to see what entities you have in the level, what materials/actions are assigned to them, etc.

10) Part of the Docking/Tab interface was updated to allow child controls to dock into the parent window, to give more space in the editor.

...and that's most of what i've been up to. I don't have all the time in world to work on it, but I'm trying to get as much done as I can. I've also been planning other features for later releases, or the current one if I can squeeze it in such as a .wrs builder, .exe packer, bitmap font maker, skycube maker etc.

While we are on the subject of the current release, I doubt I can get a fully working level editor included in this release, which is disappointing I know, but you guys seems anxious to see easy scripter.

So my question is, should I release the first version without a level editor, which may make things a bit more difficult to design projects, or should I postpone releasing it so I can include a level editor.

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts, either here of through a PM. Also any features you think I might not have thought of, which you thing might be a good idea, then don't hesitate to PM me, I'm always open to suggestions.

Until the next updates, Thanks, DJB.

Last edited by DJBMASTER; 02/07/10 16:32.
Re: 3DGS Easy Scripter [Re: DJBMASTER] #309146
02/07/10 15:10
02/07/10 15:10
Austria
Dark_samurai Offline
Serious User
Dark_samurai  Offline
Serious User

Austria
I would prefer a version without a level editor. It's always better to keep things simple, but make them as stable as possible laugh

ANet - A stable and secure network plugin with multi-zone, unlimited players, voip, server-list features,... (for A7/A8)!
get free version
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de