by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MadJack, AndrewAMD, Quad), 540 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Can an average dude make this "work"? #464742
03/07/17 21:17
03/07/17 21:17
P
pianowiz Offline OP
pianowiz  Offline OP
P

Hi!

Took some time for me to come up with an explaining topic... bear with me.

So, I've been reading on and off on this forum for quite a while now. I have also been through the tutorial, and I've been done some developing in the Zorro environment. Programming is kinda new to me, and with not so impressive results I'm starting to wonder if this developing-"thing" is really meant for us "normal" guys, sorry for using such a clumsy expression.

I'll try to elaborate - I recognize some of the members here, such as JCL, Boatman etc - and to me, you guys are geniuses (no, I'm not joking), considering the knowledge you show in every post etc. And when I compare myself to you, I feel that I'm so not at your level.

Ok, so this post is kinda sweeping. What I'm really asking is "do I have to be at your level to make this work"?

And by "work", I mean to make Zorro show decent profit with self-developed systems.

Re: Can an average dude make this "work"? [Re: pianowiz] #464752
03/08/17 12:44
03/08/17 12:44
Chicago
AndrewAMD Online
Serious User
AndrewAMD  Online
Serious User

Chicago
It comes down to this:

Competency X Frequency = Profit

You need to keep coming back to your computer and building solid programming skills, exploring good ideas, disposing of bad ideas, and making it a point to learn stuff when you'd rather be sitting back and watching TV.

Your starting point is your starting point - it's either advantageous or disadvantageous. You also have your strengths and weaknesses.

I started off by trying to day trade with charts. It didn't go well (30% loss). BUT - I have an engineering background and an MBA, so this programming stuff with research is way up my alley, and I can jump right into it. (Also, I programmed in MQL before - which also helps).

If you have good competencies in other areas, consider finding a way to leverage those competencies. Otherwise, keep building it up.

We're all gonna make it!

Andrew

Re: Can an average dude make this "work"? [Re: AndrewAMD] #464761
03/08/17 18:38
03/08/17 18:38
P
pianowiz Offline OP
pianowiz  Offline OP
P

@AndrewAMD

Thanks for wise thoughts and input!

Re: Can an average dude make this "work"? [Re: pianowiz] #464945
03/19/17 09:55
03/19/17 09:55
Sydney, Australia
B
boatman Offline
boatman  Offline
B

Sydney, Australia
I'd like to echo @AndrewAMD.

Don't make the mistake of thinking anyone here is a genius (OK,maybe with the exception of jcl). Wherever any of us are at is the result of a long period of hard work. Personally, it took me several years to "get it", to the extent that I do.

The good news is that being a genius isn't a pre-requisite for succeeding at this game. Anyone can do it, but it takes a lot of hard work and deliberate practice. The consistent application of a disciplined approach trumps intelligence and natural talent every single day of the week. I don’t know about you, but I find that incredibly comforting and empowering!

I'm actually in the middle of writing a blog post that addresses this very issue, so I hope you'll check it out when I publish it. For now, the best advice I can give you is to accept that you are in for a long and at times difficult journey (adjust your expectations accordingly), but one whose destination is most definitely within your reach.

Re: Can an average dude make this "work"? [Re: boatman] #465012
03/25/17 18:32
03/25/17 18:32
P
pianowiz Offline OP
pianowiz  Offline OP
P

Quote:
OK,maybe with the exception of jcl

I lol:ed laugh

Thanks for your reply! Have a lovely weekend.

Moderated by  Petra