by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 945 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Random Crashes under Windows 10 #471235
02/24/18 17:40
02/24/18 17:40
Germany
Turrican Offline OP
User
Turrican  Offline OP
User

Germany
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on finalization of my project. I am supported by Kartoffel, who wrote the rendering pipeline and some of the tools for the game. There's a serious crash bug in the game that we just can't get by. The project has become relatively complex and the error occurs very randomly, and we can't find the cause even after literally several hundred hours of work. I hope that someone from the forum or the developers can help us out, or at least give us an advice. I'd also like to make sure that this is not a global engine bug - so in case you experience similar issues, please let us know. Things are extremely urgent right now for organizational reasons and because I'm planning to launch soon, so I'd be more than grateful for any help!

First off, some basic information: I am developing the game on a Windows 7 system, but have been testing regularly on Win 10 systems. For the last few months however, I did not run these tests as regularly as before, since I've completely focused on programming user interface, menu, DLL implementation (Steam and misc file operations). It's possible that the crash bug has come in somewhere during that time, but I can't say for sure. It may have also been there for a much longer period, and I just didn't notice before due to the lower complexity of the game at that time.

Bug Description:
  • The project produces random crashes under Windows 10 (so far tested on five systems).
  • The game runs fine under Windows 7.
  • Both the published and source versions are affected.
  • The crash can happen at any time: Sometimes the whole game can be played through, sometimes it already crashes after a few seconds.
  • The cause of the crashes is very random and difficult to pinpoint. These are our best practices in terms of reproduction - the problem appears:
    - while attempting to load levels (no matter if triggered by gameplay functions or by user input/UI)
    - when pausing the game (= setting freeze_mode to 2 + calling some UI functions)
    - when moving the mousecursor over or away from a specific UI element (without clicking)
    - less often during or after a message is displayed, or at any random point in the game.
The crash usually appears in one of these forms:
  • 1) Often:
    The screen freezes for a second
    A standard Windows error message appears:"acknex.exe stopped working"
  • 2) Less frequent:
    An Acknex error message appears: "Script crash in load_map"
    After closing the message it continues as described in [1] (in most of the cases)
    Please note: This behavior is not limited to a certain level. It also happens with levels that work fine in any other case.
  • 3) Rarely:
    During the loading process an Acknex error message appears: "Bad file format: stage####. wmb"
    After closing the message it continues as described in [1]
    Please note: This also happens with levels that otherwise work without any problems.
Here's our current assumption, as we already expressed in a different thread:
Originally Posted By: Kartoffel
(...) it looks like these crashes only happen on windows 10 so far. If it's memory-related, I still think it's something produced by the code, though. The different operating systems might handle memory allocation/management differently which makes the crashes we're having more likely on win 10.

Measures taken so far:
As I said, the bug is difficult to narrow down. We have already taken numerous measures for error analysis - unfortunately without noticeable improvement. If there was an improvement, it was in the form that the occurrence of the crash was delayed, or happened under different circumstances. Our latest approaches include:

A) Disabling plug-ins
We do use some DLL plugins, mostly self-written ones. Of course, we have already tried to deactivate these plugins completely and also made sure to remove them from the acknex_plugins folder. It didn't do any good.

B) Narrowing it down
By turning off large blocks of code and/or complete features (menu, UI, AI, sound, player, controls + more + combinations), we have tried getting to the root of all problems. Wasn't too successful either. If there was a perceptible improvement, we re-activated line by line to see were it came from, but usually to no avail. During one of these tests I noticed the following erratic behaviour:

• I've put a 'return' right at the beginning of the following function. I did not experience the same crashing behaviour as before.
    Code:
    function player_spawn()
    {
    	return;
    	(...)
    }

• While re-adding lines of code, I noticed that it didn't matter what I put before the 'return'. Anything, even a comment, would re-enable the crashes.
    Code:
    function player_spawn ()
    {
    	// test
    	return;
    	(...)
    }

It is possible that this was just a coincidence. But I thought it was strange enough to mention it here.

C) Disabling certain model files
Our main menu uses eight background models spawned via ent_create and animated by code. While narrowing things down, I also tried to disable these models, just to see what would happen. The crash actually occurred less frequently afterwards. It did happen anyway, only much later and less frequent. I wonder where this came from. Are these model files corrupted? Could there be a mismanagement of internal memory areas when I load these models? When I don't load them, could there be kind of a "shift" in memory allocation, so that the crash occurs less often? I'm not sure what this behaviour tells me.

D) Replacement all model files
Encouraged by the partial success described before, and due to the fact that some users on this forum reported bugs with "corrupt" model files, I replaced all 1,615 models in the project folders with a simple dummy object. It didn't fix the crash, but I don't think it occurred that frequently anymore. Of course, it was difficult to really "play" the game this way, so I did not carry out extensive tests. Is it possible that other file types could be corrupted? Should I try to replace sounds, media and textures with dummies?

E) Manual termination of all "critical" functions
A very, very time-consuming approach that I have been pursuing over the last few days: I make sure that all "critical" functions are terminated before loading. In detail: I track all potentially critical loops by having them count up a variable at the beginning of the function. The level loading routine waits until all these functions are finished and the sum of all variables reaches 0. It didn't improve anything (but at least I was able to fix some sporadic pointer errors this way).

F) Data analysis
Of course we have studied the acklog, built in countless diag-instructions, use our console and write out a tasklist in situations we think are critical. Problematic variables and objects are monitored via on-screen debug displays. Only thing we haven't tried yet is to implement a ton of sys_marker instructions, as Superku recommended. I'm not sure if this could help us any better pinpointing the cause of the problem, but it might be worth a try.

Next steps:
Here's what I could still try. Don't have much more on my list right now, I must say.

I) Check/disable windows.h functions
We use some features from windows.h - could there be a problem with deprecated instructions that could lead to Win10-only crashes?

II) Check plugin source code
Although I already ruled out the plugins as a cause, I'm going to go through them step by step and look for possible error sources.

III) PROC_GLOBAL
In the course of the menu programming during the last few months, a quite large number of PROC_GLOBAL-Instructions have found the way into my code. Since Superku mentioned that this function may not always work correctly, I will soon deactivate it for testing purposes.

IV) Further narrowing it down
We still have a few ideas about which parts of the code we could investigate further, even though I have the feeling this won't shed any more light on the case. We'll try this during the next days.

Related threads:
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=470982#Post470982

TL;DR: Game crashes only under Win10, tried almost everything, please help!

Re: Random Crashes under Windows 10 [Re: Turrican] #471236
02/24/18 18:19
02/24/18 18:19
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Oh boy, this sounds awful (and gives me unpleasant flashbacks)!

Are you aware of the following thread (the issues, random source code changes leading to different results/ crashes, file format stuff)?
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458100#Post458100
Which engine version are you using, 8.47.1? If you don't... you should.

Do you use view/ sky entities? If so, how are they created?

Do you use default acknex sounds? Have you tried disabling them (-ns)?

About plugins: As I may have said before at some point I once managed to really mess up my game, having all sorts of random memory issues, inexplicable behavior and random crashes, because I sent a NULL string to a Steam API function on accident which really did not like that. I assume you've been experiencing those issues way before you started with the Steam implementation, right?

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Random Crashes under Windows 10 [Re: Superku] #471238
02/24/18 19:57
02/24/18 19:57
Germany
Turrican Offline OP
User
Turrican  Offline OP
User

Germany
Yep, it _is_ absolutely awful.

I know that thread you posted and I've read it many times. I recently checked all my models to make sure there are none with "mixed" or only empty skins. It's possible that I missed one, so I'll be going through all of them again tomorrow, just to make sure. But as far as I remember, that bug had been fixed anyway, right...?

Brings me to your next question: Yes, I'm using the latest version (8.47.1 (Pro, if that makes any difference)), and made sure the guys supporting me do so, as well.

Next: Yes, there's a single sky entity in the game. It's defined like this:
Code:
ENTITY* skyscene =
{
  type = "sky_scene05a.mdl";
  layer = 3; 
  scale_x = 380; 
  scale_y = 380; 
  scale_z = 380; 
  y = 28000;
  flags2 = SKY | SCENE;
  flags = FLAG2;
  albedo = 100;
}

Things I'm doing with it at runtime:
  • change of position vector
  • change of scale_x vector
  • visibility control (via flags2 - SHOW)
  • color manipulation (by modifying red/green/blue)
  • ent_morph'ing to different, level-specific models after level_load

Sound: No, I did not try that using the engine parameter. What I did so far was to test with sound_vol set to zero, and that didn't make a difference (if I remember that correctly). Will check that tomorrow.

Plugins: In fact, I don't recall having these issues before starting the Steam implementation - however, I've changed so many things around that time, that it could easily be almost anything else. I'd rule this one out anyway, as the Steam plugin is currently fully disabled. I also removed the DLLs from my Win10 test environment, just to make sure. Good point with the NULL strings though - I will make sure to check all the strings I'm sending.

While we're at it - in my leaderboards code I have this slightly suspicious part where I'm fiddling around with a local short array and two char-pointers. Maybe let's have a look at it:

Code:
function mm_lb_fill() // used to fill lb strings
{
	(...)

// defining local stuff...
	short short_array_x1024[1024];
	char* _nameUTF8="";
	char* _nameFINAL[10];

(...) 

// The function ends here.
	// No, I'm not removing the char pointers - should I?
}

Remember: As I said, the Steam implementation is currently turned off, so this part of the code should never be executed anyway. But since I recently learned that local STRING* pointers should a) be created using str_create(), rather than simply defining them like 'STRING* test = "";' and b) should also be str_remove'd by the end of the function, I keep asking myself if there's an equivalent guideline for using chars. Could the way I define them here be problematic? Could the precompiler come across this part of the code and go totally nuts? I mean, it shouldn't, for my understanding, but I'm starting to look for potential mistakes anywhere.

Re: Random Crashes under Windows 10 [Re: Turrican] #471239
02/24/18 21:22
02/24/18 21:22
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Try removing the sky entity from your game, completely. Especially if it has a (big) texture. Those things are quite suspicious to me (I had random polygons/ planes visible in my levels at some point, many years ago, and some objects missing after level load - turned out for some reason the big skybox texture/ sky entity caused it - or seemed to have caused it).

Many years ago I wrote a program in lite-C to solve a puzzle. The first algorithm was implemented recursively. It worked fine up to tile 100-150 maybe, then it got weird. It would tackle the wrong tiles after that, change stuff or regard stuff as wrong/ correct erroneously.
I had to learn that stack memory is limited, and the allocation of
short short_array_x1024[1024];
might "fail" or be not quite what you wanted after some recursion.
This most likely does not apply in/to your case but sharing it might be useful for you after all.
It's probably better to sys_malloc (and sys_free) large(r) arrays dynamically.

Originally Posted By: Turrican
I recently learned that local STRING* pointers should a) be created using str_create()

STRING(*) pointers do not need to be manually allocated, STRING objects/ "instances" do though.

Code:
STRING* strPointer = NULL; // you could write for example void* as well instead of STRING*
strPointer = localisationGetString(DIALOG_001); // returns a "constant" string, for example a text.pstring element
[use strPointer for further non-manipulation/ drawing text]

If you want to manipulate the string you should str_create("") a new STRING object though:

Code:
STRING* strPointer = str_create("");
[manipulate and use string...]
ptr_remove(strPointer); // every str_create needs to have a ptr_remove

You can write stuff like [STRING* strPointerArray[10];] as well, of course. Depends on what you want to do with it though. If you write
Code:
char* _nameFINAL[10];

then you will have an array of 10 char pointers. _nameFINAL does not sound like that's what you were going for.
char _nameFINAL[10];
pretty much is a pointer named _nameFINAL that points to 10 (char) bytes, which you can use for string/ char manipulation/ a 9 digit name.
Example:
Code:
char _nameFINAL[10];
_nameFINAL[0] = 'A'; // or _nameFINAL[0] = 65;
_nameFINAL[1] = '8';
_nameFINAL[2] = '';
draw_text(_nameFINAL,400,400,COLOR_RED);
or something like str_cat(strPointer,_nameFINAL);

If you write something like
char* myChr = "Wow!";
you should treat that as static, don't write into it.
STRING* myStr = "Wow!"; // inside a function in this case
is just a pointer (which could be void* as well) that points to a static char array (if I'm not mistaken), and should not be changed/ probably not what you want.

What I usually do (although it may be frowned upon) I have a bunch of global objects
STRING* tmpStr1 = "";
STRING* tmpStr2 = "";
STRING* tmpStr3 = "";
I use them in functions for temporary string manipulation so I don't have to str_create/ ptr_remove every time.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Re: Random Crashes under Windows 10 [Re: Superku] #471253
02/25/18 13:38
02/25/18 13:38
Germany
Turrican Offline OP
User
Turrican  Offline OP
User

Germany
Thanks for the information. Regarding the char pointer problematic, I'd like to show you the full code snippet. It would be nice if you could quickly check if I'm handling things the right way. As this is very Steam-specific and thus maybe a bit off-topic, I'd rather send this via PM.

Regarding sky entities: Every sky model I use consists of just three planes, each with a 1024x1024 texture. After all we know, the engine should be able to handle that in terms of texture size, but I will now give it a try and remove the entity from the code. I already tried to replace it by another model with a 32x32 texture to rule out a texture size problem, but that didn't change anything.

Other things I tried so far:
- Played the game with the -ns engine paramter. Crashed anyway.
- Removed all PROC_GLOBALs from the code. Didn't work.
- Removed some of the windows.h function calls, to no avail.
- Excluded other parts of the code that I haven't tried yet. Also did not work.

I also dug up some older builds and tried to reproduce the crash there. I found out that I wasn't able to crash a version from August 2017 - this one is missing most of the menu and UI functionality and handles many internal things (especially level-loading and controls) differently, so I can't blame it on a certain thing yet. But I'll now investigate this further.

Re: Random Crashes under Windows 10 [Re: Turrican] #471258
02/25/18 15:25
02/25/18 15:25
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Something else, probably unrelated to your issue but still:
I once had strange crashes in my game, don't know remember what kind though. However, after weeks of debugging I found the reason:
I was creating custom FONTs dynamically (using Windows functions to add fonts at runtime).
Old (mostly) text objects still had the old now invalid font pointer:

FONT* myFont = "Arial#20b";
TEXT* myText { font = myFont; }
ptr_remove(myFont);
-> myText.font now has an invalid font pointer

Just in case you're doing anything like that... you will have to update those pointers as well.

Re: Random Crashes under Windows 10 [Re: Superku] #471261
02/25/18 15:48
02/25/18 15:48
Germany
Turrican Offline OP
User
Turrican  Offline OP
User

Germany
Oh boy, that could definitely be a problem - I just checked, and while I do have sort of an "update fonts" routine, it seems I'm only calling it before actually initializing all fonts via AddFontResource. Never thought that could a problem, as all fonts look correct in game.

Hang on, I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Still no luck: Completely removed the AddFontResource calls. Fonts are defined right at start and never changed. Had the impression that it crashed later/after more attempts, though. But nontheless, it crashed several times during and after level change.

Last edited by Turrican; 02/25/18 16:27.
Re: Random Crashes under Windows 10 [Re: Turrican] #471280
02/26/18 13:39
02/26/18 13:39
Germany
Turrican Offline OP
User
Turrican  Offline OP
User

Germany
Just a small update with the things I tried today:

As I wrote earlier, there are a lot of "proc_mode = (...)" instructions in my source. I suspected that some of these might have lead to my Win 10 issues. So I went over and removed *any* of these instructions, with three exceptions:

1. A _startup function that handles pause state and visibility of some related UI elements in a while loop.
2. A _startup function that handles controls. In fact, it recognizes key presses and sets values of variables accordingly, for other functions to evaluate.
3. And finally, a function that handles mouse control.

As these contain important control features that need to run during pause, I simply kept the proc_mode = PROC_NOFREEZE inside their while loops (that's correct, isn't it? we should put proc_mode calls directly into a loop, right?).

Now, some engine-error messages I had before, are seemingly gone. Haven't tested this thouroughly, but it could be that it fixed some other bugs. Nice.

But the Crash bug itself, with that "acknex.exe has stopped working" message - it's still present! And I can reproduce it by starting up the game, beginning a new game from the main menu, then the level loads, then I press <P>, which activates my pause function, and the game crashes.

So, my next idea was obviously: Then it must be the freeze_mode = 2 call itself. Commented it out, still crashes.

Okay, crazy. Then I started looking for other things that happen when I press <P>. Among other things, the mouse control gets activated. So I went there, copied the mouse control function, tried a few things, reverted them, and basically ended up with *two* instances of my mouse handling function, both exactly the same, except for their name - and I couldn't reproduce the bug anymore.

Here, see for yourself:

Code:
function handle_mouse()
{
	if(MOUSECONTROL_ACTIVE) { return; }
	MOUSECONTROL_ACTIVE=1;

mouse_mode = 1;
	mouse_map = tga_mousemap_gui;	
	mouse_pointer = 0;

var _button_pressed=1;

while(1)
	{
		proc_mode = PROC_NOFREEZE;

if(MOUSECONTROL_ENABLED)
		{
			if(mouse_mode > 0) // move it over the screen
			{  
				if(mouse_moving) 
				{
					vec_set(mouse_pos,mouse_cursor);
				}

if(mouse_valid) // inside engine window?
				{
					// enable keyboard/gamepad controls
					if(inp_force.x != 0 || inp_force.z != 0)
					{
						mouse_pos.x+=(inp_force.x*MOUSECONTROL_JOYSPEEDFACTOR)*time_step;
						mouse_pos.y-=(inp_force.z*MOUSECONTROL_JOYSPEEDFACTOR)*time_step;
					}
				}
			}
			else
			{
				mouse_mode=1;
			}
		}
		else
		{
			mouse_mode=0;
		}

wait(1);
	}
}

function handle_mouse_old()
{
	if(MOUSECONTROL_ACTIVE) { return; }
	MOUSECONTROL_ACTIVE=1;

mouse_mode = 1;
	mouse_map = tga_mousemap_gui;	
	mouse_pointer = 0;

var _button_pressed=1;

while(1)
	{
		proc_mode = PROC_NOFREEZE;

//		if(GAME_MODE==0 || freeze_mode==2)
		if(MOUSECONTROL_ENABLED)
		{
			if(mouse_mode > 0) // move it over the screen
			{  
				if(mouse_moving) 
				{
					vec_set(mouse_pos,mouse_cursor);
				}

if(mouse_valid) // inside engine window?
				{
					// enable keyboard/gamepad controls
					if(inp_force.x != 0 || inp_force.z != 0)
					{
						mouse_pos.x+=(inp_force.x*MOUSECONTROL_JOYSPEEDFACTOR)*time_step;
						mouse_pos.y-=(inp_force.z*MOUSECONTROL_JOYSPEEDFACTOR)*time_step;
					}

/*
					// commented out, just to see if there's a problem with this...
					if(inp_button1)
					{
						if(!_button_pressed)
						{
							mouse_event(MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTDOWN | MOUSEEVENTF_ABSOLUTE, 0, 0, 0, 0);
							_button_pressed=1;
						}
					}

if(!inp_button1) 
					{
						if(_button_pressed)
						{
							mouse_event(MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTUP | MOUSEEVENTF_ABSOLUTE, 0, 0, 0, 0);
							_button_pressed=0;
						}
					}
*/
				}
			}
			else
			{
				mouse_mode=1;
			}
		}
		else
		{
			mouse_mode=0;
		}

wait(1);
	}
}

Doesn't make ANY sense at all, I know, but that's the current state. It strikingly reminds me of the problem I described under B) in my initial post, and I simply don't get what is going on here.

This is really driving me insane. With this bug I'm looking for the needle in the haystack. I can't even tell what to do with this finding - does this indicate something? I mean, it would really help if at least I could pinpoint it to something like "oh, there must be a pointer I'm using the wrong way" or maybe a broken resource file or something, but I only have this immensely strange behaviour and don't even know why it occurs.

Any hints? JCL?

Last edited by Turrican; 02/26/18 13:52. Reason: Inserted a comment-block to second mouse function to really depict the current state of the function
Re: Random Crashes under Windows 10 [Re: Turrican] #471346
02/28/18 14:43
02/28/18 14:43
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
A crash has 2 elements: The crash reason, like a bug somewhere in the script that overwrites memory, and the crash trigger which produces the error message. Normally both are the same, but not always, and then is the crash hard to find. The trigger can be a completely harmless line in a function. If that function is modified, it crashes somewhere else.

Keep the state where it always crashes when you press P, and try to find the code line that triggers the crash. This often helps to find the bug, by looking at variables or pointers used in that line.

Re: Random Crashes under Windows 10 [Re: jcl] #471350
02/28/18 17:42
02/28/18 17:42
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
So, after some more testing it looks like some of the problems we were having are related to the nexus value being too low. After increasing it, a lot of the crashes are seemingly gone. We're not 100% sure if low nexus really is the issue or if increasing it just bypasses the actual causes of the crashes but so far it looks promising.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  old_bill, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de