by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Nymphodora, Quad), 923 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How to create a cave with Blob Sculptor. Tutorial+Democave here #469678
11/30/17 23:27
11/30/17 23:27
N
NeoDumont Offline OP
NeoDumont  Offline OP
N

OK, oldies but goodies this time.

There is an old DOS program called BLOB SCULPTOR or also DOSBLOB. This program creates organic shapes from groups of spheres which will be covered with a hull resulting an very organic shape, which can be saved as a .dxf file. Because I found it still very easy to use (its
freeware also) I tested it to create a cave for Gstudio. I searched some programs before which might have blob capabilities like truespace or others but didn't find anything which fitted my needs.
BLOB to me is very easy to understand and is powerful enough to create nice caves as long as you set the right parameters. DOSBLOB runs fine in DOSBOX. The .dxf file then should be converted to a .3ds file, imported in MED, skinned, normals flipped and saved as a .mdl.

In my small Cavedemo.cd world I used a 2048x2048 skin for the cave. That means that you need a good graphic card to let the cave skin be displayed correctly. I tested the demo with a laptop onboard graphics shared memory card of 128 MB VRAM and the cave skin was not displayed correctly, but blurry an with no structure. However i think a normal 256/512 MB Geforce or ATI Radeon should have no problems to let you enjoy this little demo.
A last "Tip of the day" : You can use a dynamic light with a wide range and put it outside the cave to shade the whole cave in a certain color nicely.
The demo was created with GSTUDIO7 EXTRA.
DOSBLOB can still be found on the net, as well as DOSBOX.

Enjoy the demo and "god bless my friend" :-)

NeoDumont

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some shots and here:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download the demo here:

The demo has been removed by me, NeoDumont, because of quality reasons.

Last edited by NeoDumont; 05/11/20 00:27.
Re: How to create a cave with Blob Sculptor. Tutorial+Democave here [Re: NeoDumont] #484494
10/31/21 12:07
10/31/21 12:07
S
Strange_Voyager Offline
Strange_Voyager  Offline
S

Thank you for this idea! Blob Sculptor is one of my favorite programs, and this is a great way to incorporate caves into a game.

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de