by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Imhotep), 567 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Realspawn] #468948
10/28/17 22:12
10/28/17 22:12
Germany
preacherX Offline
preacherX  Offline

Germany
Very sad to see that another one is going... But I can understand you! For the same reason I'm also searching for another engine cause I want to bring my next game RPG PARTY to the Nintendo Switch.

I made a prototype with A8 (you can find it in the Showcase section ) but a game focused on local multiplayer makes no sense for Windows. Because I just use 2D I think I will switch to YoYo GameMaker engine. As far as I heard, they will support the Switch soon. And I think it is a lot easier as Unity (at least for my purposes).

However, if I would create a new Windows-only game, I would choose A8 again! wink I love to work just with SED and my graphic program - no huge world editor.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Now I've got an idea: Maybe we should start a Kickstarter campaign to bring A9 to life with multiplatform support ???????
What do you think?

Last edited by preacherX; 10/28/17 22:13.
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: preacherX] #468967
10/30/17 19:38
10/30/17 19:38
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
Quote:
Now I've got an idea: Maybe we should start a Kickstarter campaign to bring A9 to life with multiplatform support ???????
What do you think?

The question becomes ... why? Why bother? With the likes of Unreal (for free, basically) and Unity, why try to resurrect GameStudio? The only reason I could think of to resurrect GameStudio is if a new version did something really significant ... really revolutionary (something a lot more than multiplatform support). Because, otherwise, we already have it elsewhere.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: RealSerious3D] #469058
11/04/17 20:39
11/04/17 20:39
D
DriftWood Offline
DriftWood  Offline
D

^ +1

I'd rather spend money to move projects to new engines. Forget the whole "Save our engine" thing. It's time to "Save our projects and talent."

I'd put my extra penny into a project Kickstarter. Or I'd put it into a mentorship that links ex-3dgs user with current ones to quickly get them started in new engines. I mean if my pennies will help @sivan mentor @preacherX so 'RPG PARTY' can get up and dev'ed on UE4 faster. Well, that's money better spent in my book.

@Superku has his current project at 95%. That's too late to move it. But I hope after he can quickly get up and run on a new engine.

I know for a fact we talked Kickstarter years ago to save this engine. We even asked jcl who said something like - "Sure go right head". That was after the engine was already sick. Now it's litch!

"Save our projects and talent." And let the litch lumber in the internet dungeon for all eternity.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: DriftWood] #469111
11/05/17 16:49
11/05/17 16:49
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
If you hadn't already moved to Unity I would've recommended Unreal4 instead. C++ is just a better language overall for game development (imho) and having free access to the engine source just seals the deal. At my first game industry job I learned the tools in two weeks, then was able to modify the engine to support instanced skeletal actors within a few months super easily. It was awesome.

All in all I believe Unity gets more attention than Unreal4 because it was leagues better than anything else for a few solid years, but Unreal4 is better on the whole. If anyone else is looking to move away from Acknex, try Unreal4, I'd be surprised if you end up regretting it.

Quote:
@Superku has his current project at 95%.

Yeah, for the past few years! Come on Superku, time to finish that thing!

Last edited by Redeemer; 11/05/17 16:51.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Redeemer] #469124
11/06/17 07:11
11/06/17 07:11
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Just to make some "advertising" fitting the topic:

lemming and I are currently trying to develop an "engine clone" in terms of engine style...

https://github.com/TeamRetro/acknext

I know that we can't compete with Unreal or Unity, but we're trying to achieve a better level of usability than current acknex, but with a really similar workflow (create a script, create some assets, press F5, run your game!)

Maybe we'll get into a state where we can say "hey guys, wanna test?!", but that day is far to come...

Also: If you guys want updates, i can open a new thread here in offtopic... laugh

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: MasterQ32] #469142
11/06/17 10:38
11/06/17 10:38
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
@MasterQ32, awesome, bookmarked. An offtopic thread might be a good idea to let more acknex fans know. Also love that subtle name change. wink

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: MasterQ32] #469144
11/06/17 11:01
11/06/17 11:01
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

Originally Posted By: MasterQ32
Just to make some "advertising" fitting the topic:

lemming and I are currently trying to develop an "engine clone" in terms of engine style...

https://github.com/TeamRetro/acknext

I know that we can't compete with Unreal or Unity, but we're trying to achieve a better level of usability than current acknex, but with a really similar workflow (create a script, create some assets, press F5, run your game!)

Maybe we'll get into a state where we can say "hey guys, wanna test?!", but that day is far to come...

Also: If you guys want updates, i can open a new thread here in offtopic... laugh

Hahaha love to see dear imgui and the stb headers in there!
Interesting project, I'd be interested in a thread.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: the_clown] #469176
11/07/17 10:54
11/07/17 10:54
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
I am learning DX11 instead of moving to another engine. Just a matter of fun.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: txesmi] #469193
11/07/17 20:34
11/07/17 20:34
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Originally Posted By: txesmi
I am learning DX11 instead of moving to another engine. Just a matter of fun.
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a basic dx11 renderer, aswell grin

Though, for more visually demanding applications I'd still go for an engine like Unreal, simply because it has some advanced features that would take too much time to write myself (temporal AA, texture streaming, GI, light baking, sophisticated tools, etc. all with pretty good optimizations)

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Redeemer] #469225
11/09/17 07:13
11/09/17 07:13
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Quote:
@Superku has his current project at 95%.

Yeah, for the past few years! Come on Superku, time to finish that thing!

Haha I'm trying... frown
I'm so done with making linear story based game(s) (including cutscenes and all that horrible stuff), I won't touch a game idea like that for ages after Superku.

Originally Posted By: Redeemer
If anyone else is looking to move away from Acknex, try Unreal4, I'd be surprised if you end up regretting it.

Never was into Unity and looked forward to getting into Unreal 4 with C++. After a few weeks of trying to code in Unreal 4 - procedural game and mesh stuff - I was pretty bummed though. I was fighting the whole framework more than doing anything else. They try to make it approachable with blueprints and a few often used classes you derive from, yet I find that detrimental to actual coding in (UE4)C++, similar to the post(s) in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/co..._engine_4_isnt/
Managed to procedurally generate some stuff, then had enough of UE4 for now sadly. Tried Unity a month later and, much to my surprise, I found coding in it a lot more enjoyable. Haven't tried proc gen stuff in Unity yet but - in contrast to UE4 - I'm looking forward to it.

Despite my experience I think UE4 probably is the better engine and toolset still - if you can somehow manage to get used to it.

EDIT: @MasterQ32, interesting, keep us updated!

Last edited by Superku; 11/09/17 07:14.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de