by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Imhotep, opm), 785 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: alibaba] #468311
09/28/17 22:16
09/28/17 22:16
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
wait is not really a concept outside of 3DGS (for good reasons). It's super expensive in terms of runtime costs, and it doesn't necessarily lead to cleaner code. The one big advantage that it brings to the table for 3DGS is that you get to keep your local storage around. However, in OOP, that storage becomes part of your object and you don't need wait for that anymore.

Long story short: Do yourself a favour and forget about wait and don't try to create a similar looking bandaid. Instead, try to figure out why you want to use wait and how to solve that issue with what you have at hand.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: WretchedSid] #468321
09/29/17 18:02
09/29/17 18:02
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
i figured it out that's why i know in C# so much more script needed to simply hold a function hold for a few second laugh

C# needs Coroutine and yield while in lite_C a simple wait(-2) works.

The fact that i need scripts for all game objects annoys me since you don;t have a complete overview. Simply dragging in a sprite or bmap in a 3D world is not working in unity instead i need to create a gameobject then drag the picture onto it then it needs a script.

i believe unity has a lot of ready to use stuff in it. Still i am not
convinces the working enviroment is that great.

perhaps i will do a little 3dgs vs unity game example.
It's a shame 3dgs is not update as it would and could be still a cometitor in game engines. ah were is a full script library when you need one.

Last edited by Realspawn; 09/29/17 18:03.

Find all my tutorials & Workshops at : www.rp-interactive.nl

Creativity starts in the brain
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Realspawn] #468322
09/29/17 23:30
09/29/17 23:30
N
NeoDumont Offline
NeoDumont  Offline
N

Hi Realspawn !

First, Thank you for all the time and work you gave to the Gstudio Community and the Gstudio forum.

I hope you make no mistake, because that long being a member of the Gstudio community, you must be pretty familiar with Gstudio. Switching to a new 3D Game System to me is like after mastering the piano "Change to the cello now and become a virtuoso on this instrument". I know you make music, and you will definitely understand what I mean. Starting with a new system takes some time and the new system will NOT offer the manpower we all need to make a good game: Story, Level design, Characters and their animations,Skinning, textures, good scripts, good music, good sound FX, testing the Game and so on.

Also, after thinking about the multiplatform Game Editors/engines myself, I think Windows PCs with DX and a good monitor. are still the most importand Game plattforms. Nobody will enjoy to play a 3DGame like Skyrim on Android smartphones or Win/tablets or even on a laptop in a park. Linux and Macs maybe an option, but, but, but... Game Consoles ? O.K.

Unity also has a shop build in called Assets Store. I hate stuff like this. Sorry, yes, Im Oldscool :-), I do it myself.

I dont think that "Gamestudio is dead". You can see pop up new projects in the showcase. I only think that many of the people who bought Gstudio were not aware that Game creation is hard work and stresses nerves (inluding bugs) and needs some time. Or they do not master programs like MED.

Gstudio offers a lot of features imho, and do not forget there were a lot of addons and tools, scripst and plugins given to the community by very good programmers (unlike me)

But anyway, if you think you can do better with unity or the unreal engine (very remarkable anyway), give it try. Perhaps will come back later.

Best wishes and thanks again.

Neodumont

Still struggeling with "1913 a race before the war", Historical St. Pauli Millerntor Scenario from 1803, PCXanim "Mergenthaler edition" and some other stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had boat I would go out on the ocean,
and if I had a pony, I would ride upon my boat.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: NeoDumont] #468327
09/30/17 12:50
09/30/17 12:50
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
@NeoDumont

Thank you i will still be around here and 3dgs is still usefull for me to setup a quick game idea.
(i finished one today that i will place soon)I hate that asset store to,
the whole seperate models that still need adding their texture skins to it in Unity.

Unity has a few things I like the physics work but the standaard and so called ready scripts i dont like that much, it blocks somehow the way of free coding.

I had an idea of lite_c library on the shelve and i am planning to finish it and upload as soon as its done.
The lack of good explenation is a minus factor of unity to. Sure there many tutorials but man most of them suck. Sleepy voices trying to explain stuff.
Programming but not letting you know what each line does. Simple beginner stuff is giving head ake while i see sometimes in 3DGS it can be done a lot faster.

I always loved this community and how many persons are willing to
share clear examples and explaining how it works. Unity offers complete script assets but thats it buy it and figure it out yourself.

Ah well we will see how things turn out.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Realspawn] #468343
10/01/17 18:04
10/01/17 18:04
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
My experience with Unity is that - yes, it is more versatile engine, with great options for porting your game to different platforms.

3DGS seems to be a more powerful engine that can run a lot faster with more things going on.

This could be because I don't know enough about Unity, but I made a Unity version of one of my games "Anomalies" and it runs really slow if the object count goes a bit higher. 3DGS handles lots of moving objects really well and smooth (with limits of course).

I am still wrapping my brain around Object Oriented Programming, but I keep coming back to 3DGS because I know it well, and can get results faster.

I do think my next project will probably be in Unity though ... we'll see.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Dooley] #468350
10/02/17 07:27
10/02/17 07:27
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
is there javascript no more in unity? it was very easy similarly to lite-c, when I tested Unity 3.
unity is definitely easier to start with than unreal (but I really love ue4).

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: sivan] #468372
10/02/17 14:14
10/02/17 14:14
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
It has java so i have to study wich will be the best to relearn.

Last edited by Realspawn; 10/02/17 14:14.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Realspawn] #468380
10/02/17 16:38
10/02/17 16:38
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
JavaScript != Java. And please, do not try to use the JavaScript version of Unity. There is no advantage, JavaScript is just plain awful as a language. This is what history has to say about JavaScript:

Quote:
1995 - Brendan Eich reads up on every mistake ever made in designing a programming language, invents a few more, and creates LiveScript. Later, in an effort to cash in on the popularity of Java the language is renamed JavaScript. Later still, in an effort to cash in on the popularity of skin diseases the language is renamed ECMAScript.

But seriously, do yourselves a favour and learn C#.

I'm by no means a huge fan of C#, nor am I a huge fan of Unity. But I think they get a lot of false critique here because Lite-C and GameStudio have garbage conventions that C# and Unity actually do better. Give it some time, and you'll realize that what you think is too verbose and complicated actually is very powerful.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: WretchedSid] #468398
10/03/17 07:40
10/03/17 07:40
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
yeah, I would use C# too, just have some old memories of Javascript which seemed much easier as a beginner than C#...

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: sivan] #468412
10/03/17 14:18
10/03/17 14:18
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/08/11/unityscripts-long-ride-off-into-the-sunset/

unityscript will be abandoned soon.

i also have no idea why it often gets called javascript-like or the javascript version of unity. it doesn't have any similarities to javascript.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de