AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
RPG PARTY
Triton Wing now available on Steam
AckCon'17: Lotter vs The World
Triton Wing
ZeaL
Who's Online
25 registered (JohanAu, Ch40zzC0d3r, Iglarion, dpt, gtell, Dbat, ezaffa, Dalla, firecrest, 2 invisible), 474 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
vivekkumar, Hale75, victrades, htj, anufriyev
17781 Registered Users
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#468531 - 10/09/17 13:51 Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Reconnoiter]
Ezzett Offline

Loc: Deutschland
75% could mean nothing, like an early prototype that crashes every five minutes. Usually, the first 80% are done relativity quickly and only take 20% of the development time while the last 20% take 80% of the time. Releasing a beta typically means releasing a nearly 100% finished product (not like modern game publishers).

#468575 - 10/10/17 19:13 Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: painkiller]
RealSerious3D Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Also why did they make 2 map editors (WED + GED) in the first place? I get the differences between them, but still seems like a waste of time.

WED was the original editor for 3D GameStudio and was based off of really old, Quake-era technology that they kept updating. WED was actually pretty awesome and easy to use ... back in the day. When it was a fairly "modern" editor, you could do a lot with it. But game development and level design changed a lot and WED couldn't keep up. There comes a point in time when updating old tech is not enough. You need to replace it with something built from the ground up. Apparently Conitec was not prepared or able to do this, so someone stepped in with GED. However, that never was fully realized and the end result is that GameStudio ended up with two editors ... one that is old, clunky, slow, and another that is not really completed.

It's a shame, really, because GameStudio has a long history, (had) a loyal following, and, in the right hands, could have continued to be something really amazing. There's still a lot that could be done with GameStudio v8, but it gets more and more outdated every day ... and it's not fun (anymore) working in either of the editors.

#468631 - 10/11/17 23:58 Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: RealSerious3D]
jumpman Offline
Serious User

Loc: ny
Im pretty sure there are many indie games made now using old software, outdated even, so I wouldnt mind finishing my game in gamestudio, knowing full well I wont really get any support from the company, outside of great forum members here.

Honestly, its much better to move onto Unity when you get a chance. Dont worry about the growing pains. There is a thriving community, coming up with such clever things, as well as an active company. Seeing the company host a unity only conference, seeing all these amazing games made with that engine, is such a nice feeling, and you can have it too!

#468653 - 10/12/17 12:19 Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: RealSerious3D]
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: RealSerious3D
You need to replace it with something built from the ground up. Apparently Conitec was not prepared or able to do this, so someone stepped in with GED. However, that never was fully realized and the end result is that GameStudio ended up with two editors ... one that is old, clunky, slow, and another that is not really completed.

It's a shame, really, because GameStudio has a long history, (had) a loyal following, and, in the right hands, could have continued to be something really amazing. There's still a lot that could be done with GameStudio v8, but it gets more and more outdated every day ... and it's not fun (anymore) working in either of the editors.
, that makes sense, and I agree gs3d could indeed have continued to be really amazing.

#468665 - 10/12/17 16:23 Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Reconnoiter]
Kartoffel Online
Expert

Loc: Bavaria, Germany
I mostly agree with you guys. By now, I see no way that acknex is going to make a comeback unless it's completely remade to live up to todays standards.

I still enjoy using it for smaller test or simple tools (like the image processing app I made recently) but in terms of actual game development I'm not sure if I'll keep using it in the future. I do have a 2d (pixelart) prototype that I really like and might use at some point but other than that I'll probably go for Unreal Engine.

But since I'm doing what I do solo, I don't even feel like taking a look at Unreal Engine right now. Mainly because I don't think I have the skill (and time?) to finish a full-blown 3d project smirk (edit: also UE4 looks really complicated and somewhat bloated to me)

Edited by Kartoffel (10/12/17 16:25)

#468704 - 10/13/17 13:49 Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Kartoffel]
mk_1 Offline
Expert

I recommend libGDX for 2d games

#468768 - 10/17/17 17:38 Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Kartoffel]
RealSerious3D Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Kartoffel
But since I'm doing what I do solo, I don't even feel like taking a look at Unreal Engine right now. Mainly because I don't think I have the skill (and time?) to finish a full-blown 3d project smirk (edit: also UE4 looks really complicated and somewhat bloated to me)

One thing that attracts me to UE4 is Blueprints, a schematic way of programming your UE4 game/application. I was skeptical and have not delved into it yet, but just about everyone I talk to tells me that Blueprints is both powerful/flexible and easy to use. For a virtual non-programmer like me, that is pretty attractive.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | resources | magazine | manual | support faq | bugs | beta features

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) 3dgamestudio.net