by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Imhotep), 567 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Reconnoiter] #468531
10/09/17 11:51
10/09/17 11:51
Deutschland
E
Ezzett Offline
Ezzett  Offline
E

Deutschland
75% could mean nothing, like an early prototype that crashes every five minutes. Usually, the first 80% are done relativity quickly and only take 20% of the development time while the last 20% take 80% of the time. Releasing a beta typically means releasing a nearly 100% finished product (not like modern game publishers).

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: painkiller] #468575
10/10/17 17:13
10/10/17 17:13
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
Quote:
Also why did they make 2 map editors (WED + GED) in the first place? I get the differences between them, but still seems like a waste of time.

WED was the original editor for 3D GameStudio and was based off of really old, Quake-era technology that they kept updating. WED was actually pretty awesome and easy to use ... back in the day. When it was a fairly "modern" editor, you could do a lot with it. But game development and level design changed a lot and WED couldn't keep up. There comes a point in time when updating old tech is not enough. You need to replace it with something built from the ground up. Apparently Conitec was not prepared or able to do this, so someone stepped in with GED. However, that never was fully realized and the end result is that GameStudio ended up with two editors ... one that is old, clunky, slow, and another that is not really completed.

It's a shame, really, because GameStudio has a long history, (had) a loyal following, and, in the right hands, could have continued to be something really amazing. There's still a lot that could be done with GameStudio v8, but it gets more and more outdated every day ... and it's not fun (anymore) working in either of the editors.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: RealSerious3D] #468631
10/11/17 21:58
10/11/17 21:58
ny
jumpman Offline
Serious User
jumpman  Offline
Serious User

ny
Im pretty sure there are many indie games made now using old software, outdated even, so I wouldnt mind finishing my game in gamestudio, knowing full well I wont really get any support from the company, outside of great forum members here.

Honestly, its much better to move onto Unity when you get a chance. Dont worry about the growing pains. There is a thriving community, coming up with such clever things, as well as an active company. Seeing the company host a unity only conference, seeing all these amazing games made with that engine, is such a nice feeling, and you can have it too!

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: RealSerious3D] #468653
10/12/17 10:19
10/12/17 10:19
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: RealSerious3D
You need to replace it with something built from the ground up. Apparently Conitec was not prepared or able to do this, so someone stepped in with GED. However, that never was fully realized and the end result is that GameStudio ended up with two editors ... one that is old, clunky, slow, and another that is not really completed.

It's a shame, really, because GameStudio has a long history, (had) a loyal following, and, in the right hands, could have continued to be something really amazing. There's still a lot that could be done with GameStudio v8, but it gets more and more outdated every day ... and it's not fun (anymore) working in either of the editors.
, that makes sense, and I agree gs3d could indeed have continued to be really amazing.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Reconnoiter] #468665
10/12/17 14:23
10/12/17 14:23
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
I mostly agree with you guys. By now, I see no way that acknex is going to make a comeback unless it's completely remade to live up to todays standards.

I still enjoy using it for smaller test or simple tools (like the image processing app I made recently) but in terms of actual game development I'm not sure if I'll keep using it in the future. I do have a 2d (pixelart) prototype that I really like and might use at some point but other than that I'll probably go for Unreal Engine.

But since I'm doing what I do solo, I don't even feel like taking a look at Unreal Engine right now. Mainly because I don't think I have the skill (and time?) to finish a full-blown 3d project smirk (edit: also UE4 looks really complicated and somewhat bloated to me)

Last edited by Kartoffel; 10/12/17 14:25.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Kartoffel] #468704
10/13/17 11:49
10/13/17 11:49
mk_1 Offline

Expert
mk_1  Offline

Expert

I recommend libGDX for 2d games

Follow me on twitter
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: Kartoffel] #468768
10/17/17 15:38
10/17/17 15:38
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Kartoffel
But since I'm doing what I do solo, I don't even feel like taking a look at Unreal Engine right now. Mainly because I don't think I have the skill (and time?) to finish a full-blown 3d project smirk (edit: also UE4 looks really complicated and somewhat bloated to me)

One thing that attracts me to UE4 is Blueprints, a schematic way of programming your UE4 game/application. I was skeptical and have not delved into it yet, but just about everyone I talk to tells me that Blueprints is both powerful/flexible and easy to use. For a virtual non-programmer like me, that is pretty attractive.

Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: RealSerious3D] #468872
10/24/17 17:37
10/24/17 17:37
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
Originally Posted By: RealSerious3D
Originally Posted By: Kartoffel

One thing that attracts me to UE4 is Blueprints, a schematic way of programming your UE4 game/application. I was skeptical and have not delved into it yet, but just about everyone I talk to tells me that Blueprints is both powerful/flexible and easy to use. For a virtual non-programmer like me, that is pretty attractive.

after lite-c Blueprints are easy. it is also programming but in a visual way, the logic is similar... (but object oriented)
the same is valid for UE4's material editor, after some 3dgs shader knowledge it is relatively easy to use.

I really recommend UE4 for any 1st or 3rd person game, especially for multiplayer. there are tons of basic/advanced tutorials and free stuff available (large community with talented people sharing projects/plugins) enabling you to make a high quality game much faster than with 3dgs. the editor gives you great options even for creating AI for your NPCs. and it is also easier to find team members for a project...

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: sivan] #468889
10/25/17 19:19
10/25/17 19:19
D
DriftWood Offline
DriftWood  Offline
D

Quote:
after lite-c Blueprints are easy. it is also programming but in a visual way, the logic is similar... (but object-oriented)

I'm glad @sivan brings this up. All the talk of blueprints like you have no need for programming logic is wrong. True it is easy and visual people like artist find it easier to work in, but it's still programming. Building "IF" trees is a lot of mess like in the "Paper2d" example.

Unreal tools benefit teams because there is a lot to learn. Each section of unreal dev is best mastered by a single person working in a team. There is so much more to learn and do, it's hard for a solo dev to get it all. I can only hope the community is helpful. As you're sure to get to a point that you need help. Just watch a tutorial about importing a model and setting up animation and you'll clearly see why that is a single job in of itself.

Last edited by DriftWood; 10/25/17 19:19.
Re: Time to quit 3DGS [Re: DriftWood] #468943
10/28/17 15:17
10/28/17 15:17
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
yeah in blueprints you need similarly declare variables, create functions or macros, but calculation intensive stuff can get really messy because of the lot of nodes...
if you want to make a professional game you need a team, else you need infinite time just in the case of my RTS project grin except if it is really simple both in graphics and programming.
beside my project I joined a team where dealing only with AI, but also had to dig into animation, networking, version control, and a lot of other areas. luckily, the editor tools make it really easier, and you can reuse the knowledge later in other projects, not like when you work with project specific custom tools...

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de