by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Quad, TipmyPip, degenerate_762, AndrewAMD, Nymphodora), 997 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Valve is replacing Greenlight by Spring 2017 #464402
02/10/17 21:28
02/10/17 21:28
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Originally Posted By: @Steam_Spy
Valve is replacing Greenlight with a sort of self-publishing platform called Steam Direct
http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/558846854614253751

Quote:
A better path for digital distribution
The next step in these improvements is to establish a new direct sign-up system for developers to put their games on Steam. This new path, which we’re calling “Steam Direct,” is targeted for Spring 2017 and will replace Steam Greenlight. We will ask new developers to complete a set of digital paperwork, personal or company verification, and tax documents similar to the process of applying for a bank account. Once set up, developers will pay a recoupable application fee for each new title they wish to distribute, which is intended to decrease the noise in the submission pipeline.

While we have invested heavily in our content pipeline and personalized store, we’re still debating the publishing fee for Steam Direct. We talked to several developers and studios about an appropriate fee, and they gave us a range of responses from as low as $100 to as high as $5,000. There are pros and cons at either end of the spectrum, so we’d like to gather more feedback before settling on a number.

Took me by surprise but this may turn out as a good thing in the end, right?
What do you think?

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Valve is replacing Greenlight by Spring 2017 [Re: Superku] #464403
02/10/17 22:24
02/10/17 22:24
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
(didn't read the full article, yet. pretty much only the part you quoted)

I think it's good that they're trying to improve the system. However, people seem to dislike that valve is considering per-game subission fees in the 100-5000 range and I kind of agree. Switching from one-time to per-game sub. fees isn't necessarily a bad thing but if it ends up in the thousands of $ it could be pretty hard to swallow for smaller indie devs and introduces another risk of losing a good chunk of money if things don't work out in their favor.

I personally wouldn't be able to spend that much right now. Of course, there's still crowdfunding if you happen to have something promising but that's just another obstacle you have to try and work your way around.

Edit: But yeah, I get their mindset. They're trying to clear out more projects that have a low chance of succeeding and keep in the "good" ones by adding another paywall. There simply aren't that many options. More people participating in the Greenlight-voting would be the only other thing I could think of. But if they keep making it harder to get projects up on steam they might lose most indie developers and "steam direct" will end up as a platform for people that are somewhere between indie dev and triple-A studio.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: Valve is replacing Greenlight by Spring 2017 [Re: Kartoffel] #464405
02/11/17 00:40
02/11/17 00:40
Germany Nrw Herford
HenWoll Offline
HenWoll  Offline

Germany Nrw Herford
http://steamed.kotaku.com/valve-kills-steam-greenlight-1792225494

Am I the only one that does not find so good?

Re: Valve is replacing Greenlight by Spring 2017 [Re: HenWoll] #464412
02/11/17 11:42
02/11/17 11:42
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Oh wow, I didn't think they're going to abandon the greenlight voting system. If anything, I expected them to try and expand it. In my opinion, one of the bigger problems with the current greenlight is that it's very attractive and valuable for developers but for most other people on steam it's not all that important and they end up not participating in the voting, which means the "filtering" process doesn't work very well. (at least that's what I think is happening)

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: Valve is replacing Greenlight by Spring 2017 [Re: Kartoffel] #464417
02/11/17 18:43
02/11/17 18:43
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
I think this is mostly a good idea but I hope the fee will be not to high (about 300-500 sounds reasonable to me). 5000 is just insane though, even many good indies will not survive that I think. What I do like about a fee is that it will probably reduce the noise better than a voting system. I wonder though how they will handle it with entirely free games, my quess would be a smaller fee (a bit like there currently is).

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 02/11/17 18:46.
Re: Valve is replacing Greenlight by Spring 2017 [Re: Reconnoiter] #464419
02/12/17 08:24
02/12/17 08:24
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline OP
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
The problem with the current Greenlight system is not exactly the amount of people voting but people voting for stuff they wouldn't buy (xD lel rock simulator, upvote!) or mostly developers abusing the system. They'd either give away keys (or other stuff) for voting, put the very same game but with a different name on Greenlight and afterwards on the store multiple times (each one getting its own visibility) or just flood the store with crap.
Some devs - and those are who cry the loudest right now (I don't include poor but passionate or legit indie devs in the "crying" group) - release(d) up to 9 games a year, all of them literal garbage where the only positive reviews came from friends of the dev or alternate accounts, and they demanded the same kind of launch visibility and store presence while burying other indie's titles.
I have zero respect for devs like that who abuse the system and I hope Steam Direct is the nail in the coffin of their "business".

This may and probably will be bad for hobby devs who don't do game dev as their primary source of income but I think it's a necessary step. The fee can't be too low either or it will become worse than before.
Taking different countries and average incomes into consideration I think Valve will choose different fees for different areas of the world, like they do with store prices for all their products. Probably one of the reasons why you will have to undergo a background check as a developer first.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de