by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 715 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Some new instruction videos. #454210
09/01/15 11:03
09/01/15 11:03
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
I am doing a series of videos with basic stuff in lite_c
so nothing complicated but purely stuff people can try out
right away. Fun for me to do and perhaps usefull for beginners.
I'll try to handle the stuff that is most asked in the forum
time after time so sometimes i will ask stuff in this forum to for one of the videos any help is apreciated and you will be
mentioned in the video laugh

Video 01. Main, graphics and panels :
https://youtu.be/Qkb-ZgL95YY

Video 02. While, pan,tilt,roll
https://youtu.be/dFcdvw-VAhc

Video 03. Simple basic movement tilting on slopes with a big thank you to Malice
https://youtu.be/rM_76wDil4c

Video 04. Ingame music and sound FX, pause function, random music & sound / entity sounds
https://youtu.be/wfZ4pNPlqd8

Video 05. Pointers and all camera views
https://youtu.be/zq7krn8Z_jo

Video 06. Creating paths in wed and make models move over them
with a big thank you to txesmi
https://youtu.be/5MD5bxpQze0

Video 07. Movement with us of animation with a big thank you to 3RUN
https://youtu.be/amvMwqTcBkA

Video 08. Mouse cursor / Mouse_mode click-touch-release
https://youtu.be/NwJu5O45-kw

Video 09. Animated and static sprites / Simple use of skycubes
https://youtu.be/zxR6gg6c7bY

Video 10. Variables used for score/ true type fonts / Picking up stuff / Random spawner object
https://youtu.be/5374vv2mzLI

Video 11. Buttons and functions. Webacces by button
https://youtu.be/VO96Mn8VRO0

set the YouTube settings on HD so you can actual read all laugh
for those who enjoy it let me know as i will create more videos.

Last edited by Realspawn; 09/14/15 12:30.

Find all my tutorials & Workshops at : www.rp-interactive.nl

Creativity starts in the brain
Re: Some new instruction videos. [Re: Realspawn] #454219
09/01/15 14:40
09/01/15 14:40
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Little inaccuracies make them dangerous. I am one of those that think tutorials should be perfect. Without acrimony, don't get me wrong. A stone gives less, as we say by this land but poor people witch takes your lessons literally.

For example: You consecutively compile the map twice. Simple map compilation includes entities too. You don't need to update them as you do. 'Update entities' compilation setting is there in order to let you avoid the shadows and bsp tree computation when the map is already compiled.

Re: Some new instruction videos. [Re: txesmi] #454222
09/01/15 15:20
09/01/15 15:20
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
i'll Always appreciatie tips like this laugh

Every tip i get is usefull as i am no way near beeing a perfect coder laugh
Lol i have even problems fixing the patroll code with the help of you laugh When i make the clips sometimes i built automaticly
while i could start up from SED laugh for me is inportant that the stuff in the clips work laugh

i do know that seeing something actually do something and
work is much more fun for new people to get going laugh

To many times i see answers like look in the manual It really irritates me sometimes.

Well i do look in the manual (So do others) but if your no programmer some terms don't ring any bells and you get stuck.
Simply because there is no working example with it just a few lines of text that you understand or not laugh Remember the ad says make games without coding ? well you need to learn coding otherwise no games grin (At least not of your own)

It's my goal to have actual stuff collected that simply works
like i did in the old days with WDL gold laugh

This can be used to look things up faster then searching through all AUM and forum messages. It's amazing how much the same question is asked in the forum but non of them have an answer. Sometimes i need one simple thing but need to dig lines of coding to find how something work. (That is if i can find it)

Take for example the mouse and cheese thing i made for David.
The coding of it is no way perfect but it does the trick and gave him a fair start to built on (he could continue his project). all by showing him the lines of code i used and even JCL gave a perfect understandeble solution laugh

I know we cant ask people to write complete games for each other but for a pro coder some things are so clear and easy they can give an answer in 2 minutes with a few lines of code that work laugh

Luckely we have some cool forum dudes here that sharing stuff
but what some master programmers forget is that some of us do not fully see the logic of programming (my self included) but are yet very creative and want to make fun stuff laugh

I got a lot of mini games (You see in the intro of each clip) on the shelve all not fully done yet but i am learning on the way laugh

As I will learn to i will change the videos where needed.

Last example:

I had that patroll path code and well it simply works laugh i don't care if it's coding is not perfect it does what it needs to do. Place character follow path voila grin

Then i needed some changes you gave very good advice laugh but since i do not fully get all coding it takes a lot of time for me to figure it out how to reorganise stuff laugh don't worry i don't give up that easy wink But it shows that what for one person is very clear could be magic language for the other laugh

Note : there is no need for discussion if people should help or not we done that sooooo many times laugh

If people reference to the manual perhaps tell them where to find it or give some hints like terms to look on laugh

It helped me when 3run or Malice Dlively for example put me in the right direction laugh

BTW I love beeing creative no matter my lack of coding is sometimes driving me completely maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad:-p

Last edited by Realspawn; 09/01/15 15:35.

Re: Some new instruction videos. [Re: Realspawn] #454224
09/01/15 15:49
09/01/15 15:49
devon UK
D
DAVIDMORETON Offline
DAVIDMORETON  Offline
D

devon UK
I have just run through the video's made by Realspawn - they have helped me understand the art of coding which is sadly lacking in the manual. The manual just states a few lines of code - Realspawn has shown how to join 'em up!
I have(off and on)been using 3dg for almost ten years - and at last someone has explained 'cameras' clearly !!
More of the same, please, Realspawn.
David.

Re: Some new instruction videos. [Re: DAVIDMORETON] #454228
09/01/15 16:23
09/01/15 16:23
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
Thank you david laugh Mission accomplished laugh We all benifit with
a little help from our friends laugh

Last edited by Realspawn; 09/01/15 16:24.

Re: Some new instruction videos. [Re: Realspawn] #454235
09/01/15 20:28
09/01/15 20:28
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Originally Posted By: Realspawn
for a pro coder some things are so clear and easy they can give an answer in 2 minutes with a few lines of code that work laugh

I understand your point but this sentence is insidious. I am pretty sure that any helper tries to help with his/her explanations. If you don't understand you should ask for the things you don't understand. I am also pretty sure that an elaborated question with explanations of the tried things and a ready to modify download has never received a RTFM answer.

Re: Some new instruction videos. [Re: txesmi] #454238
09/01/15 21:03
09/01/15 21:03
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
agreed laugh but an answers as simple as learn programming or read the manual is not enough laugh some people will make it feel beeing unwelcome (Not me)

Last edited by Realspawn; 09/01/15 22:40.

Re: Some new instruction videos. [Re: Realspawn] #454240
09/02/15 01:54
09/02/15 01:54

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

There is lot to reading the sections before the programming stuff that actual talk about the engine systems like rendering and light management.

From there reading the manual can become dizzying at first. Not only do you have to do the lite-c tutorials, you also must read manual entries, and follow the links at the bottom to see how things connect. The beginning of each section actual has a overview which must be read before the commands to shed light on the sections.

so here is the problem beginners have. They don't want to learn the commands and how they link together at all. In fact they start by trying to create a project of any size. i.e. "I want to make the player walk around with gravity and jump."
Really they should start by saying " I want to try everything I can till I understand how this one command 'c_move' works."
While learning c_move, they will read the manual section over and over, experiment with all the flags and test the effects of values inside the argument structure( If you do not know what a argument is, it is in the manual before any read commands and can also be goggled "what is a c argument" or such). Not even moving a player, just a block. learning everything there is about c_move.
Once they understand the external links will start to fill in the blanks.
This also leads to there next experiment, if you read the c_move flags you will question ACTIVE_SHOOT and this my lead you to test the event syytem and commands.

The other thing me and 3Run and tons of others have learned(@txesmi , I didn't put you here because from what I've seen over the years your just damn brilliant). You learn tons actually diving into the manual and experimenting to solve issue form the forum. Fact is 10 years and i didn't know the answer to most question for the first 5 or so. I would see a question and attack the answer trying to figure it out.
In the old days some many user where here, you had to race and figure things out fast to be the first to solve it. And I always lost the race, however I also learned the solutions. Not because I read them from other users post and remembered, but because, I was a racer and solving them myself. So I never lost the real race.So if you look at alot of my questions over the time, they are not typical, in fact most are math issues from poor math skills, or just the need for fresh eyes to see a mistake I keep passing over.

And that is why I commend you RealSpawn on attacking the mouse path. This is the best way to learn commands.

Learning programming and logic come latter. And we are happy to help and I personal, having watch the evolution of so many users, am actually delighted to see you grow.

You will learn logic at the same time, if you are told how to look for it and think about it. It starts to over take commands and solving problems, it becomes how many ways can i design a code block to solve a problem and which is fastest, cheapest, best (not always the same solution) .

I am schooled every time by far betters then me, and when it happens they actual give me there brilliance. For free! recently I answered one of your post about locking to the y-axis and learned a much better way.

Anyway this is now the size of a damn blog post.

Please keep going, and remember that the painter because most creative when he has master the paint, brush and canvass.

Re: Some new instruction videos. [Re: ] #454255
09/02/15 09:32
09/02/15 09:32
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
Quote:
Please keep going, and remember that the painter because most creative when he has master the paint, brush and canvass.

Don't worry I will laugh

I handle simple basics so nothing to complicated but it gives
a good start. If people understand a simple movement they understand how to expand from there laugh I know i am learning this way With all the basic codes people can toy change numbers and
see what it does laugh

Next video will handle animations used in simple movement.
From here people can expand to use differend animations or movements laugh thats all up to the creative minds laugh

Re: Some new instruction videos. [Re: Realspawn] #454317
09/03/15 22:31
09/03/15 22:31
netherlands
Realspawn Offline OP

Expert
Realspawn  Offline OP

Expert

netherlands
Lesson 07 and 08 is up laugh

Last edited by Realspawn; 09/05/15 15:25.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de