by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 827 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: Mark430SR] #454186
08/31/15 15:44
08/31/15 15:44

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

To directly answer the question they indicate either you are pointing to a single mdl file or a folder containing anything

from manual

http://www.conitec.net/beta/wed_presets.htm
Paths
Add Path Adds a new folder to the folder path. Subseqently, sound and entity files from that folder are available in the Add Object menu. The new folder is stored in a PATH statement in the WDL project file. This way the engine also gets access to the folder when running the script. A .c script must be set up in Map Properties for adding a folder.

http://www.conitec.net/beta/apath.htm
PATH "dirname";
All files belonging to the application - bitmaps, sounds, entities etc. - will be first searched for in the work folder and then in the folder given here.
Remarks:
Backslashes ("\") have to be given in C notation as double backslashes (like "C:\\games").
Paths will be searched in the given sequence. Paths are relative to the current work folder. In order to be able to copy your project to different locations, use relative paths for all files belonging to your project, and absolute paths for all files that are on an absolute location on your hard disk (like template scripts).
A7 If the path begins with "%EXE_DIR%", it's a subfolder of the program folder (like "%EXE_DIR%\\template_6\\models"). Apart from that, do not use special characters or spaces in your folder names.
Theoretically you can specify up to 32 PATH names, but it's better to stay well below that limit. Each folder is searched in sequence until a given file is found, so having lots of paths can remarkably increase the startup time.
LC Included scripts are not searched in the paths. They should be located in the work folder. Alternatively, their paths can be explicitely given in the #include statements or in PRAGMA_PATH statements.
LC At runtime paths can be added through add_folder().
Example (WDL):
PATH "files\\models"; // Searching for models also in the work subfolder "files\models"
See also:
BIND, LEVEL, PRAGMA_PATH, add_folder

USING the path command requires you to write a wdl script that holds the paths.

Last edited by Malice; 08/31/15 15:50.
Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: ] #454187
08/31/15 15:56
08/31/15 15:56

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Quote:
Even if ure using PRAGMA_PATH extern Skin files for example must be in the same folder of your models. Bug, if i remeber right.

not a bug at all

It is the path inside the mdl file that points to the skin. When the engine loads the mdl, it grabs the path to the skin from the mdl file.

With fbx files you can have the same problem if a absolute path is written into the fbx file not a relative path.

IT was possible to load the fbx file into notepad and change the path to the skins, a pain in the ass but possible. I can not say if this can be done with mdl files. However there should be a way to edit mdls.

Last edited by Malice; 08/31/15 15:57.
Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: ] #454188
08/31/15 16:03
08/31/15 16:03

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Quote:
Ok, so I tried to publish my project as a test ,but the models (or entities in general) are not published. When I start the game and the level is loaded, no entities appear at all, either models or sprites. I used #define PRAGMA_PATH to indicate the paths to the folders. I made a folder for models, a folder for sounds, a folder for levels ... etc.

What bothers me here is that you did not say anything about a error code.
If the engine attempted to load a entity but could not find it there would be a warning. However in a Publish run the warning would be muted, there is a way to turn back on the warnings. Also there is a way to run a publish in order to produce a log that might exactly tell you if the files are not found or if this is another issue

Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: ] #454198
09/01/15 05:00
09/01/15 05:00
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
I use a reverse logic for publishing, you might know, becaiuse I mentioned it earlier. I use a projectname.wdl containing several PATH statements, mainly because of wmb levels, but in project code I also create and use full relative path+filenames, which is fine for my custom dynamic level loading, and allows similar file names.
After publishing I simply copy the exe and dll-s to project root folder, and delete the CD folder. This way the development structure is kept, the game root folder is clean.

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: sivan] #454254
09/02/15 07:28
09/02/15 07:28
M
Mark430SR Offline OP
Mark430SR  Offline OP
M

@sivan
I used your method and it worked ,but then I would have to delete all the editable stuff. I really prefer to publish my project in the normal method.

@Malice
Yes, I do get a warning but not with all entities, just two or three.

The problem is just with entities (models and sprites) I don't have terrains or map entities in the game.

Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: Mark430SR] #454262
09/02/15 17:30
09/02/15 17:30

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Start with those warning ents - i assume "ent not found'

Check the code paths and the analyze what is the different about location and code for those ents.

If other ents are loaded and just these have and issue, then you have a logic to compare working ent loads to failing ent loads.

My assumption being that there must be a clear and obvious difference

Also because of your answer to Savin we are now sure it is not a bad ent or file, but in fact a bad location ref. I think i had this type of problem when I placed a wed ent then move the file to a new folder.

Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: ] #454264
09/02/15 18:29
09/02/15 18:29

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Now I'm rereading your post.

When all files are in the same folder, the engine do not use a path but instead does a default loading from executable folder
so I am questioning your use of the PRAGMA_PATH.

Can you post the actual code for the statements.

I Hate Hate HAte to be the RTFM guy again... But

A7.10 Looks for include and other files in the given path when they are not found in the current folder. This is similar to the PATH statement in a project file, with the exception that paths given by PRAGMA_PATH are also used for include files. Example:
#define PRAGMA_PATH "%EXE_DIR%\Map-Editor\Scripts";
Remarks
Paths will be searched in the given sequence. They are relative to the current work folder. In order to be able to copy your project to different locations, use relative paths for all files belonging to your project, and absolute paths for all files that are on an absolute location on your hard disk (like template scripts).
If the path begins with "%EXE_DIR%", it's a subfolder of the program folder (like "%EXE_DIR%\templates\images"). Apart from that, do not use special characters or spaces in your folder names.
Theoretically you can specify up to 32 PATH names, but it's better to stay well below that limit. Each folder is searched in sequence until a given file is found, so having lots of paths can increase the project startup time.
Quote:
PRAGMA_PATH is only evaluated during compilation. In a published project, all files are placed in the project folder by default. For using subfolders in a published project, either add them at runtime through add_folder(), or use a .wdl project file.

Paths can be read by external applications through the pPaths array.
Paths, just like variables, file or object names, must not contain spaces.

So for sure you need to use the PATH command and a wdl , correct?

Also are you in fact trying to get folders in the .cd folder, or are you trying to reach out of the .cd folder to the sub folder in the working folder?

Really am not trying to sound this way, you just provided little information, so I want to rule out all I can

Last edited by Malice; 09/02/15 18:35.
Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: ] #454265
09/02/15 18:42
09/02/15 18:42

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Quote:
I added the path to the models folder in WED ,but it didn't solve the problem.

Did you also include the PATH commands in the wdl as the PATH instructions I posted above require.
And another question is this WDL in the published folder?
Also do the PATHs in the WDL still point to the correct place after the publishing (i.e. the .cd folder). If it is in fact in the .cd folder, please open it and examine the PATHs written in it.

The overview from the project section

Quote:
Project Settings

The project settings are not part of the script, but of the whole game project - like folders, paths, predefined command line parameters, and the startup behavior. They are defined in a .wdl file that contains keywords such as PATH, RESOURCE, WINDOW etc. that are described on the following pages. In the case of a lite-C project, the engine will look for an accompanying .wdl file with the same name (such a "main.wdl" if the main lite-C script has the name "main.c"), and read the project settings from it.

Anyways I'll jump off this thread. Superku, rayp, sivan, Wjbender, you have far better help in these pro's then I.

Last edited by Malice; 09/02/15 18:56.
Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: Mark430SR] #454364
09/06/15 11:45
09/06/15 11:45
M
Mark430SR Offline OP
Mark430SR  Offline OP
M

Why am I using this pathetic software anyway? It is so dead and useless ....

Re: Test publish critical problem! [Re: Mark430SR] #454375
09/07/15 00:37
09/07/15 00:37

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

Ok post the project, maybe we can learn if this is a bug or you simply can not use older and simpler engines.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de