by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, monk12, TipmyPip, Quad, aliswee), 1,029 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: PadMalcom] #451214
04/30/15 09:35
04/30/15 09:35
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
Probably it would be useless. I agree with JCL, our task is to use and create great games with 3DGS, their task is to maintain it, and to develop to keep the engine profitable. It is a mutual dependence.

Unfortunately, I don't really know why 3DGS development stopped shortly after A8 came out. At that time it was a good engine, and it still has a good potential. Of course, its editors have been outdated comparing to Unity3D-3, so it was a fatal error not to finish new WED within a year after the announcement. I could have been a fine position to upgrade to latest DirectX too, and to modernize the renderer slightly, and to drop backward compatibility together with non-shader graphics (ffe) of free/extra editions.

Without new users no income comes due to the licensing system, and the competition has become really tough. JCL said licensing can change only with new engine versions. Probably they don't expect too much income.

I personally expect only minor new features and slow bug-fixes. Only community tools could help a bit, artist friendly solutions, basically editors, what you can make even in lite-c, I know at least one nice example. grin

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: sivan] #451222
04/30/15 11:43
04/30/15 11:43
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
But isn't there some niche GS3d could focus on? It is not a bad engine (see Quad's example for the potential), it just needs some love.

Just purely speculating, but if the kickstarter goal would be something like 200.000 euro/$. Let's say 50% goes to taxes and other costs, so you keep 100.000 which would mean that JCL could appoint about 3 fte (/3 full time workers) for 1 year on the engine. Which would be enough time to finish some major things right?

Even better, for things like editors and some plugins etc. he could let the community do the bulk of the work through some contests where winners could get some reward as cash and/or licenses. This would save him lots of time and would be interesting for some community members, I quess if the rewards is enough?

That being all said, even getting 200.000 is not easy peasy. So there needs to be a good focus on a niche group (which could still be fairly large just as long it does not compete to much with engines like unity and unreal4). In order know that we need to look at the strengths of GS3d, perhaps being able to run on older rigs? Stable? Other more experienced here with the engine are better at answering this than me.

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 04/30/15 11:45.
Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: Reconnoiter] #451223
04/30/15 11:49
04/30/15 11:49
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Even I make more than 33k a year and I am not working full time...

Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: Quad] #451231
04/30/15 13:13
04/30/15 13:13
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: Quad
All i want is a new LLVM base lite-c compiler and an opengl renderer.

That would be huge! The tooling you would get essentially for free from LLVM is unbelievable, and it should be possible to pull of co-routines in Clang with your own fork quite easily. If this were to happen, things would get so much more exciting for Gamestudio.

Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
What is your favourite (game) engine actually Sid (besides Rayne ofcourse, and obviously besides GS3d tongue )?

Rayne 2.0. Seriously, besides the fact that it is completely headless and without a renderer, it shapes up nicely.

Originally Posted By: Malice
Yes but so far on my examination of these Engines - I see a year learning curve. Nothing says "Hope" like having to learn a whole new system and spending a year to gain the skills of a amateur.

But here is the thing, if you don't modernize Gamestudio and throw away the old legacy stuff, you will never make it appealing to anyone. And switching systems is easy, once you know how one thing works, you can easily switch to another.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: WretchedSid] #451270
05/01/15 08:29
05/01/15 08:29
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
I would love to see some good updates and new tech , but on the flip side , one of the reasons I love using the engine is it's low requirements , if there ever comes a huge change in n tech I would really love to stil be able too keep the old gs or stil be able to meet the low requirements with the new tech with optional setting's ,however I am pretty sure a huge change would mostly push up requirements.

in my opinion the strongest thing gs has going for it at this stage is the c# wrapper ,although not perfect in every refard , its the only real usable language for the engine outside of c .

now if only the rest of the engine tech would pick up and follow along .

Compulsive compiler
Re: What if we Kickstart A8 development. [Re: Wjbender] #451274
05/01/15 09:42
05/01/15 09:42
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Quote:
Rayne 2.0. Seriously, besides the fact that it is completely headless and without a renderer, it shapes up nicely.
, that's fast, a second one already shocked . That is like the complete opposite of conitec time.

Quote:
But here is the thing, if you don't modernize Gamestudio and throw away the old legacy stuff, you will never make it appealing to anyone. And switching systems is easy, once you know how one thing works, you can easily switch to another.
, modernizing is good thing I think, though I think it should be an upgraded Lite-c version that is similar to the newer languages (e.g. c#) but also easier to learn (sort of a middle-path between them). In a perfect world I would imagine it being something easy to learn but still similar to the other main scrips (e.g. a lite-c# or lite-c++). Besides that it would be ofcourse cool if you could also use c# or c++ right away in the script (as with visual studio you can select which language you will use) but I don't know if that's a hard thing to implement. Anyway the reason for keeping the Lite-part is that cause if GS3d would entirely use c# or c++, what's the point of using GS3d than? It needs that to keep that easy to learn stuff otherwise it will just horrible fail vs Unreal 4 and Unity 5.

Quote:
I would love to see some good updates and new tech , but on the flip side , one of the reasons I love using the engine is it's low requirements , if there ever comes a huge change in n tech I would really love to stil be able too keep the old gs or stil be able to meet the low requirements with the new tech with optional setting's ,however I am pretty sure a huge change would mostly push up requirements.
, yes I agree with this. If the requirements are pushed up to much, this engine becomes more useless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de