by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (7th_zorro, Aku_Aku, 1 invisible), 579 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I want your opinion #446797
11/01/14 00:30
11/01/14 00:30
Random Offline OP
User
Random  Offline OP
User

THIS QUALITY with 3dgs. I know it is possible, but how would you tackle the task to achieve such quality with 3dgs? Shade-c evo? Self made shader? Level design with blender? etc..
And what would be a good price per hour for somebody to design such an high quality level (If all material need is paid for)?

Greetings Random

Last edited by Random; 11/01/14 00:35.

Re: I want your opinion [Re: Random] #446798
11/01/14 01:33
11/01/14 01:33
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
If i see right, parts of the level are made with Blender and was first used in a Gamestudio project called "Hotel California" wink

Ask rVl_eXile for creating the level as (if i am right) he made the level above.

For the graphics i would recommend using a custom shader solution created for your project needs (shadows, deferred/forward rendering, ...)

Also try using some kind of custom WYSIWIG level editor only for your project to get the most out of the engine, but basic level layout and modeling done in blender.

The post processing in the video is pretty simple, i assume it's only a simple grayscale/saturation shader
material shaders are lighting+shadows and normal mapping, nothing special in particular.

Regards
Felix

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: I want your opinion [Re: MasterQ32] #446801
11/01/14 03:00
11/01/14 03:00
Germany
C
Ch40zzC0d3r Offline
Serious User
Ch40zzC0d3r  Offline
Serious User
C

Germany
Shaders are doing the quality in games nowadays.
Ask Kartoffel, hes awesome laugh

Re: I want your opinion [Re: Ch40zzC0d3r] #446808
11/01/14 12:18
11/01/14 12:18
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Well there you have problem #1.

Whatever it is, if you didn't create something yourself (with enough knowledge, of course) you CANNOT be
sure that it's working fast and efficiently and that it is doing what it should do without bugs or glitches.
And it turns out that these 'things' aren't as fast and free of bugs as one might think/like.

Not doing this stuff on your own also means you often can't do what you want to do because your tools don't allow
you to do so.

---

To quickly analyze this video from a graphics-guy's perspective, here's what I see:
- simple lighting
really. There's nothing special here (which doesn't automatically mean that it's a bad thing)

- an annoying video grain filter
video grain is great for hdr rendering (kills banding arfifacts), but it should be more subtle than this
Edit: yeah I know, the ppl who made this didn't use the video grain to increase the image quality. They wanted to have a cool, noisy look. But it still is too intensive imo.

- some shadow casting pointlights
no softshadows, I don't know how well shade-c handles shadows. It might do pretty well if it uses things like caching

- no hdrr
which I think is really sweet, although it's not a must-have for good graphics if you do things right

- too much contrast
I totally hate this. there are so many people who want as much contrast and saturation as possible which just kills the entire look

- no bloom :[
for me this is just like.. cake without icing. (I might be a little obsessed with bloom)

meh.. might be a bit too grumpy but I don't like the shot from the video very much.

To answer your question: Yes it is possible, but I wouldn't go for that specific look, imo.

Originally Posted By: Ch40zzC0d3r
Shaders are doing the quality in games nowadays.
not really.. It has a lot to do with using your shaders in the right way, properly adjusting them and having good and consistent assets.
But yeah. Without some shaders everything would look like crap. But then again, shaders are needed to render your objects, even if
you just use Acknex's default shader. laugh

Shade-C would be a good point to start. Like I've said, if the shadowmapping is handled well in s-c. it shouldn't be a problem to have some shadow casting lights.
plus, Shade-C comes with a lot of useful stuff and seems to be fast enough (a modded version was already used in a commercial game)

(Edit: There are also gorgeous looking games with rather simple renering and postprocessing btw.. don't just go for complex graphics)

Last edited by Kartoffel; 11/01/14 12:33. Reason: so many edits .__.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: I want your opinion [Re: Kartoffel] #446810
11/01/14 12:29
11/01/14 12:29
F
FEL Offline
FEL  Offline
F

I have to Positive Kartoffel - but i have to admit there is a reason why the most of the Videos in the Link are Unity...

3dgs is not Artist friendly, you have to code a lot of stuff like me just to get to a point where you are able to start "creating".

Shade-C has a bad Shadow system Kartoffel, i worked with it pretty long and in the developer State from Github its pretty glitchy and buggy.
A beginner would probably just call it complicated trash. The other side: Shade-C is the best Graphics LiteC Framework around it just needs modifications along. I did a few so i am able to work with it.

So i am able to say it: I am able to create very intense graphics scenary for my game, just because i worked hard for it.

But then i took a kartoffel to the Knee, a guy that just snips with his fingers and creates IMPOSSIBLE renders XD Yes Kartoffel u are Awesome pls do more for Shade-C that would be ULTRA perfect.

Last edited by FEL; 11/01/14 12:49.

FEL - Lead Game Designer & Core Developer
Re: I want your opinion [Re: FEL] #446814
11/01/14 12:42
11/01/14 12:42
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany

Like with every skill you just need a little time and some dedication to get good at something. I just always looked at what I had, thought about what I can do to make it better and tried.. that's all.
Over some time you get a precise feel and taste for these things.

But seriously, I'm not THAT good and I'm lacking a lot of knowledge when it comes to certain shader-things (shadows, just to name one of them).

I don't think I have what it takes to make shade-c better... man, I don't even understand how shade-c exactly works.

Re: I want your opinion [Re: Kartoffel] #446816
11/01/14 12:51
11/01/14 12:51
F
FEL Offline
FEL  Offline
F

Going to make a Video from my Project... Cause im epic. Then u all have an answer to: "Is it possible to do...?"

FEL - Lead Game Designer & Core Developer
Re: I want your opinion [Re: FEL] #446827
11/01/14 16:08
11/01/14 16:08
Random Offline OP
User
Random  Offline OP
User

Quote:
But then i took a kartoffel to the Knee
grin
I can't.. that was to much! grin

Good to know that there are masters-of-shaders here.

Potatoman, how much per hour would you want to create shaders for a game?
In any way, you will here from me in the next 2-3 months ^^

Re: I want your opinion [Re: Random] #446828
11/01/14 17:25
11/01/14 17:25
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
I don't consider myself a professional programmer. Neither for shaders nor for all the other game programming and design tasks. I also think/know that I cannot professionally work on jobs like this.

These are the main reasons why I don't take jobs like this. I just can't ensure to provide high quality services (in a given timeframe) and there are too many things I'm not able to do, mostly due to a lack of knowledge and expirience.

Also a $-per-hour payment wouldn't work for me because I RARELY 'work' on a project / peice of code / whatever without doing anything else. So just a fraction of the spent time is being invested in actual programming.

Re: I want your opinion [Re: Kartoffel] #446829
11/01/14 18:05
11/01/14 18:05
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Then maybe you should start doing some shader jobs? wink
Those are fun, especially if you do fixed price for single shaders. This way the tasks are very restricted and the fixed price solves the issue with you not working most of the time. To calculate the price just estimate the time you think it will take, double it and multiply with whatever you think you want to be payed per hour (I think I started with 20€/h). So lets say a basic bloom effect without anything else (filtering/downsampling/blur/upsampling/blur/combining) takes you like 3h -> 3h*2*20€ = 120€. The *2 is in there because your estimate will turn out to be wrong and from my own experience it is usually twice my initial estimate wink. Just be carefull to only do the things you specified in the beginning and not more because that usually turns out to get more and more work you do for free. Sure if it is just tweaking some values it might be fine and if something turns out to break, fix that and you may want to help integrate the effect, but that should be it.
I used to get payed after I was done with the job, which of course needs you to trust the one paying you to actually pay on delivery and not just use your shader, but it would have made it easier for me to get out of the job for whatever reason. While in rare cases people my let you down, I had mostly good experiences and even people paying me a lot more than agreed uppon before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de