by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, howardR, EternallyCurious, 1 invisible), 770 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: Reconnoiter] #446327
10/10/14 18:32
10/10/14 18:32
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Looks nice, do you have a gameplay video? (can't test the game right now)

btw. I always use this one to upload images (it's german, though)
They don't scale or convert your image into crappy-compression-jpg so you can either save your jpg's with something around 96-98% quality to get pretty good
images that don't take up too much space or you'll just use .png's (which are a little bit bigger). It also doesn't automatically redirect you to their website so
you can embed the image with a direct link.

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: Kartoffel] #446330
10/10/14 20:29
10/10/14 20:29
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline OP
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline OP
Serious User

Netherlands
Not a bad idea to upload a video. I will see if I can make a video with multiplayer footage.

Also thanks for the site link, I will use that one and imgur in the future.

Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: Kartoffel] #446331
10/10/14 20:35
10/10/14 20:35
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Okay, so i've played some recon right now and i see potential tongue

So some cricits:

Negative:
- Camera is too limited (I want to shoot higher and lower)
- Graphics have an interesting design, but the texture quality is pretty low and also the game looks like it's made out of "dirt".
- Hit feedback. There is none and i can't say if i hurt an enemy or not
Add some animations and hit markers
- I would like to see some faster projectiles, i could't hit anything over a non-melee distance

Positive:
- The basic gameplay seems good, i like the recon idea
- The controllable drop start is awesome, you can land on better places
- Awesome flying enemies are awesome.<3
- Enemy design is nice, but maybe some more movement wouldn't hurt

Would like to see some updates and play a multiplayer match

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: MasterQ32] #446338
10/11/14 11:03
10/11/14 11:03
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline OP
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline OP
Serious User

Netherlands
Tnx for the feedback, good points laugh .

Quote:
- Camera is too limited (I want to shoot higher and lower)
, fixed, apperently I had capped it on 45 and -45 tilt shocked

Quote:
- Graphics have an interesting design, but the texture quality is pretty low and also the game looks like it's made out of "dirt".
, yes graphics are not my strongest suit in fps games. Do think its everything or specific things like player 'hands+weapon', enemies or something else?

Quote:
- Hit feedback. There is none and i can't say if i hurt an enemy or not
Add some animations and hit markers
, there is a decent chance (based on the damage dealt), that an enemy gets stunned for a short while (~0.5 sec) and than it displays a hit animation. When you get the incinerator perk, you drop burning waste that has 100% chance to stun on hit.

There is also gore/blood, should I increase the amount of blood?

What do you mean with hit markers on hit enemies? Like a number that shows the damage dealt?

Quote:
- I would like to see some faster projectiles, i could't hit anything over a non-melee distance
, I agree. I already had plans to add a sniper-like weapon that has a very fast projectile speed, but I will increase the projectile speed of some other weapons too.
Quote:

- Awesome flying enemies are awesome.<3
, thanks, I had a big smile on my face when testing them for the first time grin

Quote:
- Enemy design is nice, but maybe some more movement wouldn't hurt
, do you think the enemy strafes enough and often when walking towards you? They do stafe, but maybe not enough yet. And/or I could maybe add a new movement option for them. Next to that I have ideas for adding more enemies that e.g. charge.

Quote:
Would like to see some updates and play a multiplayer match
, I would like to play a multiplayer match too after the update.

Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: Reconnoiter] #446339
10/11/14 11:14
10/11/14 11:14
F
FEL Offline
FEL  Offline
F

The Game really looks like 1996 XD

FEL - Lead Game Designer & Core Developer
Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: FEL] #446341
10/11/14 11:23
10/11/14 11:23
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
@FEL: That ain't bad tongue

Quote:
yes graphics are not my strongest suit in fps games. Do think its everything or specific things like player 'hands+weapon', enemies or something else?

Okay, some more comments:
1: What exactly is this? It's brown, it's blurry and dappled. But should it be dirt, sand, ...? You can get pretty good textures at cgtextures.com, maybe you can use this:
Dirt/Mud Texture, just adjust some colors with GIMP or Photoshop so they fit your style.
2: Okay, i got a weapon. But what exactly is this grid representing? It looks like the weapon is carved out of one piece of material without any more details. Try to get some more defined shape in your textures.
3: The enemy textures are quite good imho. But try to get some specular (best with spec mapping) on them so maybe the shell(?) of the enemies reflects some light.

Quote:
What do you mean with hit markers on hit enemies? Like a number that shows the damage dealt?

Depending on the game style maybe some explicit animation after a hit, just a shake or something. If you go more arcade game (what would be great) you can add damage numbers floating up or just let the enemy blink red on hit.

Also what other games do is that they flash some kind of marker around the crosshair if you hit something.

Quote:
do you think the enemy strafes enough and often when walking towards you?

For example the panther-alike enemies run towards you, then stand still and spit stuff at you, pretty easy to hit. Just let them run around a bit after they spit at a player so they change position.
Also it's really hard to hit some enemies standing nearby you.

Just another question from my side:
Where do enemies spawn? I would like to know where they come from.
Maybe add some holes on the ground or on the rocks for those bug thingys and so on so the player knows where the waves are coming from.

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: MasterQ32] #446346
10/11/14 13:12
10/11/14 13:12
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline OP
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline OP
Serious User

Netherlands
Quote:
The Game really looks like 1996 XD
, nah, more like 2000 grin. Cause this is how a 1997 looks like (a quite good one I must add) http://rohitbandaru.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/blood1.png And here is a pic of a 2000 year game (at that time it was beautifull, oh how times have changed grin ) http://dakkster.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/giants-citizen-kabuto_13.jpg Okay maybe Giants looks prettier, but still you get the point.

Quote:
1: What exactly is this? It's brown, it's blurry and dappled. But should it be dirt, sand, ...? You can get pretty good textures at cgtextures.com, maybe you can use this:
Dirt/Mud Texture, just adjust some colors with GIMP or Photoshop so they fit your style.
, okay the terrain texture is something I can improve I think. I am photographer so I can use a more photorealistic image of the ground for that. What I find difficult though is how detail maps work on the terrain, so I need to read some more tutorials about that.

Quote:
2: Okay, i got a weapon. But what exactly is this grid representing? It looks like the weapon is carved out of one piece of material without any more details. Try to get some more defined shape in your textures.
, carved out of unobtainium grin . But tbh, I found texturing the weapon really difficult cause of the texture wrapping. It also did not help that MED is really unstable here, so I might need find myself a real model editor for that.

Quote:
3: The enemy textures are quite good imho. But try to get some specular (best with spec mapping) on them so maybe the shell(?) of the enemies reflects some light.
, that's a cool idea

Quote:
If you go more arcade game (what would be great) you can add damage numbers floating up or just let the enemy blink red on hit.
, I like the floating numbers idea

Quote:
Just let them run around a bit after they spit at a player so they change position.
, again good idea

Quote:
Where do enemies spawn? I would like to know where they come from.
, they actually spawn at holes, so they come out of the ground. The holes are a bit camouflaged, but should not be to difficult to find. There is however (on purpose) a bit of a random factor on which hole an enemy spawns, so its more difficult to spawn-camp them. But most of the time they spawn on a hole that is the closest to you.

Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: Reconnoiter] #446355
10/11/14 22:22
10/11/14 22:22
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
I've played it a bit earlier today and only want to give some notes before I go to bed:
- I can see that a lot of effort has already gone into the project, so good job so far either way. It's always difficult to keep and find motivation to work on a project for a longer time.
- The player and camera movement/ code needs some work, it's one of the most important aspects of the game/ a shooter. IMO the arms should have a very slight delay/ follow the camera when it pans and tilts, i.e. just smooth the angle difference and do not set it directly.
- The weapon handling is not yet satisfying in my opinion, sorry. Try to give the weapons more impact and humph and boom, from a feedback perspective (bigger bullet impacts on walls and enemies), and the projectiles are a little slow.
- The tutorial seems relatively well-made. I didn't die but the note "when you die you have to redo the whole tutorial again" disturbed me a little. Try not to annoy your players, esp. when they start the game/ do a tutorial.
- The second wave of enemies on the map was too strong, I died pretty quickly. Maybe delay the spawn of the tougher enemies for 15 seconds.
- I found it to be pretty cute that the bug-like monsters flew into the air following me on the highground. <3

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: Superku] #446361
10/12/14 10:42
10/12/14 10:42
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline OP
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline OP
Serious User

Netherlands
Great feedback laugh ,

Quote:
- I can see that a lot of effort has already gone into the project, so good job so far either way. It's always difficult to keep and find motivation to work on a project for a longer time.
, what helps is sometimes setting my mind to zombie modus grin . But yeah I agree motivation is not always the easiest part, you probably experienced that yourself alot with an (almost) fully fledged game like Superku.

Quote:
IMO the arms should have a very slight delay/ follow the camera when it pans and tilts, i.e. just smooth the angle difference and do not set it directly.
, funny idea, I'll add it to my to-do list.

Quote:
Try to give the weapons more impact and humph and boom
, I will see if I can do something more with the explosion effects.

Quote:
(bigger bullet impacts on walls and enemies)
, yeah bullet holes are still missing, I will add them, good point.

Quote:
and the projectiles are a little slow.
, fixed

Quote:
- The tutorial seems relatively well-made
, that's good to hear, I wasn't really sure about that one.

Quote:
I didn't die but the note "when you die you have to redo the whole tutorial again" disturbed me a little. Try not to annoy your players, esp. when they start the game/ do a tutorial.
, grin , I will change both the note and that the player won't have to redo everything.

Quote:
- The second wave of enemies on the map was too strong, I died pretty quickly. Maybe delay the spawn of the tougher enemies for 15 seconds.
, you have to help me a bit here; are you talking about the tutorial, the recon gamemode (with the blue i's) or the survival gamemode (with the orange text)?

Quote:
- I found it to be pretty cute that the bug-like monsters flew into the air following me on the highground. <3
, they just want a hug grin

Re: fps coop Reconnaissance [Re: Reconnoiter] #446368
10/12/14 16:37
10/12/14 16:37
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Quote:
you have to help me a bit here; are you talking about the tutorial, the recon gamemode (with the blue i's) or the survival gamemode (with the orange text)?

I've played the recon gamemode and tried to secure the second place downhill (with the structure and the "rock tower" some meters left to it).

Btw. the bullets do not hit in the place where the (center of the) crosshair is pointing at. Take the tutorial for example and fire some projectiles on a wall. You will see that the bullet holes/ hit markers are placed some quants to the right on the lower side of the crosshair (because the projectiles probably need to be oriented differently depending on the distance to the crosshair center).

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de