by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Nymphodora, Quad), 923 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
[Free] Fluorescent lamp model #442020
06/08/14 19:35
06/08/14 19:35
G
GameLight Offline OP
GameLight  Offline OP
G

Two fluorescent lamp in a support. It is free and can be used on any project. The website have a simple video showing the model.

http://3dgamemarket.6te.net/lamp1.php

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: GameLight] #442098
06/11/14 07:50
06/11/14 07:50
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Not trying to be an asshole... BUT:

The model is hideous, the website is even more hideous. Actually I don't know which of the two is the more hideous one.

The model in and of itself is alright, by which I mean to say it's average for a beginner, but let's not get in over our heads.

So, what can you do about it?
1. Delete the hideous texture/skin. Why is it vomit brown/green? I have never in my life seen a lamp in those colors unless you are talking about some standing lights from the 70's and 80's
2. Make a new texture/skin, this time look at pictures actualfacts, real-life fluorescent lamps.
3. Delete your website.
4. No seriously, there is no saving it.
5. Try a service that gives you ways to create a website by clicking it together. I know you want to learn how to make a website and stuff, but keep it on your hard drive for now. They are nowhere near a state where you should release them into the wild. Try something like Squarespace or something else, just don't make it yourself.

I know that might sound like I am a dick, but no good will come of trying to sugarcoat shit and put lipstick on a pig. Take it as aggressive criticism.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #442808
07/03/14 17:14
07/03/14 17:14
G
GameLight Offline OP
GameLight  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

The model is hideous, the website is even more hideous. Actually I don't know which of the two is the more hideous one.
[...]
3. Delete your website.
5. Try a service that gives you ways to create a website by clicking it together. I know you want to learn how to make a website and stuff, but keep it on your hard drive for now. They are nowhere near a state where you should release them into the wild. Try something like Squarespace or something else, just don't make it yourself.

These aspects do not make sense. I like my website and what should be at the moment, seems technically good.

The problem is that people have become accustomed to sites that are "beautiful", within a given standard, which to me does not make much sense.

But based on preconceptions about my intentions in making a site so you ended wrongly deducting that I am not able to make a website.

In other words I prefer my site from a site full of useless decorations that features some problems and ends asking the browser released yesterday.

Last edited by GameLight; 07/03/14 17:15.
Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: GameLight] #442809
07/03/14 17:37
07/03/14 17:37
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Quote:
But based on preconceptions about my intentions in making a site so you ended wrongly deducting that I am not able to make a website.

Nope, not wrongly, rightfully. The website is terrible, not just from a design perspective but it's also against any best practices put out by browser vendors.

Quote:
In other words I prefer my site from a site full of useless decorations that features some problems and ends asking the browser released yesterday.

I hate to tell you that, but having a website build against Netscape 3 is not an achievement by any stretch.

Quote:
The problem is that people have become accustomed to sites that are "beautiful", within a given standard, which to me does not make much sense.

Then you are an even bigger idiot. It's simple, you want users/customers, but don't care about what they are saying. You don't want to hear what your users want and would rather not listen to their stupid demands from your throne? Don't make anything user facing.

Don't make middle ware either though, the code for the subtitle system is terrible. Like, actually really terrible and there is no way to put that in a nice way. You really hate best practices, don't you?

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: WretchedSid] #442810
07/03/14 17:43
07/03/14 17:43
G
GameLight Offline OP
GameLight  Offline OP
G

Originally Posted By: JustSid
Quote:

Nope, not wrongly, rightfully. The website is terrible, not just from a design perspective but it's also against any best practices put out by browser vendors.

What are such best practices?

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: WretchedSid] #442811
07/03/14 17:45
07/03/14 17:45
G
GameLight Offline OP
GameLight  Offline OP
G

Don't make middle ware either though, the code for the subtitle system is terrible. Like, actually really terrible and there is no way to put that in a nice way. You really hate best practices, don't you?

What is the problem with my code?

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: GameLight] #442812
07/03/14 18:06
07/03/14 18:06
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: GameLight

Well, since you are so determined on having a nostalgic browsing experience, having a correct DOCTYPE for HTML4 would be a start.

But honestly, closing your tags and writing their names correctly would be a way better start. You and your website are one of the reasons why HTML parsers are so fucking ridiculously complex beasts, because while you claim you can write websites, you produce terrible HTML. Also, strings in HTML use double quotes (ie "") not single quotes (ie '').

And then this whole thing with inline styles... CSS was created to separate design from content, and merging them back together is kind of counter intuitive. Having design and content neatly separated into two documents allows you to re-use one stylesheet that the browser can efficiently cache across all your pages. But hey, I guess Netscape 3 didn't do that, so no need for that fancy stuff, right?

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: WretchedSid] #442815
07/03/14 18:32
07/03/14 18:32
G
GameLight Offline OP
GameLight  Offline OP
G

But honestly, closing your tags and writing their names correctly would be a way better start. You and your website are one of the reasons why HTML parsers are so fucking ridiculously complex beasts, because while you claim you can write websites, you produce terrible HTML. Also, strings in HTML use double quotes (ie "") not single quotes (ie '').

About what strings are you talking about? What not closed tags my website have? What name is wrong?

Whatever the problem it seems to work well on recent firefox and opera.

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: WretchedSid] #442817
07/03/14 20:17
07/03/14 20:17
G
GameLight Offline OP
GameLight  Offline OP
G

Quote:

Then you are an even bigger idiot. It's simple, you want users/customers, but don't care about what they are saying. You don't want to hear what your users want and would rather not listen to their stupid demands from your throne? Don't make anything user facing.

This part is fallacious and clearly stems from a prejudice about my intentions.

Unfortunately most users may want a website following these ideals, but the world still exist even if they are a minority, intelligent people, philosophers and such, they will not make decisions based on the prejudice about the look of a website.

Have you seen my website malfunctioning? I like it and it works perfectly fine for me. Uses UTF-8 and a few pages are in two languages​​, has the appropriate PHP script to hide the inappropriate ads so I can advertise it even PPC, has the appropriate forms and supports email subscriptions.

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: GameLight] #442821
07/03/14 21:34
07/03/14 21:34
C
CodeMaster Offline
CodeMaster  Offline
C

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: GameLight] #443141
07/10/14 02:58
07/10/14 02:58
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
I get that it's a lost cause but I have to agree with everyone else in that your site (and everything on it) looks absolutely atrocious. And this is coming from someone who couldn't design a website to save his life.

Unfortunately most users may want a website following these ideals, but the world still exist even if they are a minority, intelligent people, philosophers and such, they will not make decisions based on the prejudice about the look of a website.

Maybe if I were a philosopher with 6 eyes on my face I could appreciate all of the competing information that's flying around your website but I guess that's just beyond my level of intelligence.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: Redeemer] #443149
07/10/14 08:40
07/10/14 08:40
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Then you are an even bigger idiot.
Originally Posted By: Redeemer
your site (and everything on it) looks absolutely atrocious.
He is one of those few people, who still contributes stuff for free here (and it doesn't really matter, do you guys like this stuff or not). Why don't you just let this thread be? Why you needed to post your "opinions" here anyway? Who cares?? grin Instead of saying 'thank you' or not saying anything, you are telling him (in a pretty rude way) that his stuff sucks and you even call him an idiot?? WTF people.. whats wrong with you? Maybe you could be more polite? You are expressing your opinions way too rude! I agree that website does look pretty bad and model's skin is pretty weird.. but does everything on this forum pass your 'awesomness exam'?? Forum is slowly dying, there are only 20 registered people by the time I write this post! And not all of them are here for Acknex! grin Our forum is full of commercial stuff (models etc), but there are only few users left here, which are posting stuff for free! I guess we could show some respect and stop complaining and insulting each other. Instead we could post something more useful and better (if you can).

Greets..

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: 3run] #443211
07/11/14 02:56
07/11/14 02:56
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
I'm not really afraid of this forum dying. All the regulars I care about who promised they were going to leave long ago have inexplicably stuck around anyway, so I've come to the conclusion that those of us who are left are just too invested in the people here on some level to forget that this place exists, and that's good enough for me.

Having said that, I didn't insult anybody, but I don't think I'll ever refrain from criticizing things when they hop out of my screen and jab me in the eyes like this thing did.

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: 3run] #443212
07/11/14 03:07
07/11/14 03:07
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: 3run
Why you needed to post your "opinions" here anyway?

Probably the same reason you had when making your post?

Besides, stuff like the model or the site it's hosted on won't get you an active user base or new users. But then again, apparently one has to be a philosopher and enlightened by ones own intelligence to completely appreciate the site, so what do I know?!

*tips Fedora* M'lady

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: Redeemer] #443218
07/11/14 05:49
07/11/14 05:49
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
I'm not really afraid of this forum dying.
Lucky you, pal.
criticizing things
Criticizing is good, till it goes in a 'correct' way, without being rude, cause other way it will make no sense at all.
If you just tell something like 'this model is peace of shit', I don't think that you can call this 'criticism' (bullshiting eachother) wink

Here an example of real criticism for you dude (even if it's called 'aggressive criticism'):
Originally Posted By: Michael_Schwarz
So, what can you do about it?
1. Delete the hideous texture/skin. Why is it vomit brown/green? I have never in my life seen a lamp in those colors unless you are talking about some standing lights from the 70's and 80's
2. Make a new texture/skin, this time look at pictures actualfacts, real-life fluorescent lamps.
3. Delete your website.

I know that might sound like I am a dick, but no good will come of trying to sugarcoat shit and put lipstick on a pig. Take it as aggressive criticism.
Simply cause 'Michael_Schwarz' had his clear point of view here, he even suggested something to make things better.
If 'GameLight' doesn't like to follow this steps, cause it's ok for him the way it is now, why not? He is the 'boss' on his web page.
things ... hop out ... and jab me in the eyes like this thing did.
What if I say that this have to be completely OK for you, cause you see yourself everyday in a mirror by the morning? grin
You had a good change to train yourself everyday for this meetings grin Sorry if I'm rude, just kidding, you know wink
Why you needed to post your "opinions" here anyway?
Probably the same reason you had when making your post?
Being polite is not my opinion, it's just a socially accepted norm of behaviour wink
All in all Sid, instead of continuing 'bullshit stream' you could stop acting like an 8 years old kind and cut the shit off.

Really guys, WTF is wrong with you all? You remind me of some jerks which got stuck in the wildness..
You run out of food, and as you need to eat something... you start eating each other (cannibalism?).

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: 3run] #443227
07/11/14 07:50
07/11/14 07:50
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Being polite is not my opinion, it's just a socially accepted norm of behaviour wink

Good for you, I guess?

All in all Sid, instead of continuing 'bullshit stream' you could stop acting like an 8 years old kind and cut the shit off.

You are advocating feels over reals and tell us to stop being 8? Is it opposite day today?

The site the OP posted is crap, talk it nice as much as you want, but it won't revive the forum in any way. It's far from being a quality contribution to anything, and truth be told, years ago when people actually were here, he would've been told the same. Let's face it, not every contribution is a good contribution.

I don't see why I should sit down and write a detailed critique of something that looks like it was made in 10 minutes to troll people. If that floats your boat, go ahead, I won't stop you.

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: 3run] #443229
07/11/14 09:21
07/11/14 09:21
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America

Here an example of real criticism for you dude (even if it's called 'aggressive criticism'):

I didn't have anything to add beyond what was already said. The reason I posted anyway was to demonstrate to the OP that the shittiness of his site was not just the opinion of the two people who had commented, but was more or less a universal thing (since I suspected with reason that he had deluded himself to believe otherwise).

That in and of itself is valid criticism. You on the other hand are doing no one any favors by attempting to take the moral high ground here.

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: Redeemer] #443231
07/11/14 11:05
07/11/14 11:05
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
yeah.. calling another community member an idiot is way to criticize.. it's really sad to see you guys around. I'm out of here (thumbs up)

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: Redeemer] #443233
07/11/14 11:31
07/11/14 11:31
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
As far as I understood GameLight argues that the continent container should not overshadow the content. I agree but the continent container also makes the difference. Argue that intelligent people would prefer an undesigned tool is an absurd. Hope it does not born from the opposite of: gregarious people elect the continent container instead of the content.

I feel the rude criticism as a contribution too. All the rude words I read on this topic are fullfilled of content. Presumably fine for an ascetic. grin

Last edited by txesmi; 08/13/17 19:03. Reason: containeeeer
Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: txesmi] #443345
07/14/14 07:31
07/14/14 07:31
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
I think you mean content not continent

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #443347
07/14/14 09:46
07/14/14 09:46
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
I don't think he means content Michael_Schwarz, cause that would make:

Quote:
As far as I understood GameLight argues that the content should not overshadow the content
grin

I think he meant appearance/looks?

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 07/14/14 09:47.
Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: Reconnoiter] #443394
07/15/14 15:48
07/15/14 15:48
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
You're right, but the other sentences do!

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #443395
07/15/14 16:01
07/15/14 16:01
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
I'm sorry. I mean the container, in reference to the rude words too.

Salud!

Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: txesmi] #467569
08/13/17 17:23
08/13/17 17:23
3dgamelight Offline
3dgamelight  Offline

Originally Posted By: txesmi
As far as I understood GameLight argues that the continent should not overshadow the content. I agree but the continent also makes the difference. Argue that intelligent people would prefer an undesigned tool is an absurd. Hope it does not born from the opposite of: gregarious people elect the continent instead of the content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Last edited by 3dgamelight; 08/13/17 17:26.
Re: [Free] Fluorescent lamp model [Re: 3dgamelight] #467570
08/13/17 18:35
08/13/17 18:35
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
huh?
simple =/= ugly
simple =/= cheap
simple == no artificial complexity
simple + design -> simpler
(simple)cumbersome < (simple)comfortable

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de