by titanicpiano14. 04/11/24 14:56
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (rki, Ayumi, Quad), 490 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue
19045 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Unity sucks, and so do you #417784
02/17/13 15:21
02/17/13 15:21
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
So, lately I've seen two claims made about Unity by users from this forum:
  • Unity games are all bad (ie you can't make good games with Unity)
  • Unity users only make casual mobile games

And of course that Unity has a horrible community, but let's discuss this some other time.
The problem I have with the two claims is that some, not all, of you are trying to gain the moral highground over Unity. Fanboyism aside, but that's pretty stupid. The "look what Unity is capable of, lololol" has set a new low record for the "we are better because meh" bar, because you are trying to make a point that doesn't exist and then circlejerk so hard that it feels like being in a sauna for homosexuals (not that I have anything against homosexuals, being bisexual myself). Did you guys already forgot about the HDR emulation of the Bus simulator? Or all the other crappy Gamestudio games? Seriously, you point out a bad game and laugh about it while crying about the downfall of Gamestudio. Okay, maybe you are just a bunch of cynic grumpy bastards that sit on their front porch, dreaming of the good old days while slowly waving the Gamestudio flag over a field that everyone else stopped caring about.

Here is the point, Unity has a huge community and obviously not everyone is making a AAA title there. Not everyone has the skills, time, assets or strength to pull that off, and that's fine. A good casual game isn't anything anyone should be ashamed of, it's the opposite, finishing a game, no matter how simple, is an astonishing feat. Not every Gamestudio title is an AAA game either, so what?
Truth be told, it's impressive what the Unity community is able to pull off, and yes, there is crap, but come on, we have produced crap as well in the past.

And just a reminder, there are incredibly good games made with Unity, Kerbal Space Program (I frigging love that game), Endless Space, Ravensword etc.

Now, I'm not saying that Unity is better than Gamestudio, at the end of the day, all that counts is that YOU use what gets the job done best for you. If that's Unity, then that's just fine, if it's Gamestudio, fine too, if it's any other engine: That's fucking fine as well. Use the tool that is perfect for your taks and that get's the job done for you.

Now stop being hypocritical assholes for once and finish your game.

PS: Some more hypocritical bullshit some here come up with: Mobile is stupid because mobile is casual. Well, alright, you don't have to like casual or mobile gaming, whatever. But how the hell are you able to cry about the non-existant mobile support for Gamestudio at the same time? "Oh dear, Gamestudio will die because there is no mobile support. Also, guys, I think that all mobile games suck because they are casual and there is no real immersion. Unity sucks, amirite?". Ugh.
PPS: Ratchet, if you try to turn this into a Unity vs Gamestudio debate, I will move your posts into an extra thread (that counts for everyone else as well)

Last edited by JustSid; 02/17/13 15:28.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Unity sucks, and so do you [Re: WretchedSid] #417786
02/17/13 15:31
02/17/13 15:31
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Well nice arguments but no, you are wrong, this is only possible with Unity. /thread

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Unity sucks, and so do you [Re: WretchedSid] #417787
02/17/13 15:36
02/17/13 15:36
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

I think the reason for all this you are talking about are the high change costs: the more you are used to an environment the higher the costs are to change completely to another environment, meaning of course the money for buying licenses and of course the very much time to get on the same level as you already were in your previous familiar environment.

So, pointing out one feature and saying this can be done as well in my environment is pretty simple because you know how to do it and it is almost no challenge to you. But imagining to change to the new environment just for this one feature creates for most people some sort of fear and discomfort. So, they rather take the easy path and recreate it in their comfort zone and are even more happy because "they can do it like the big guys".

Last edited by HeelX; 02/17/13 15:37.
Re: Unity sucks, and so do you [Re: WretchedSid] #417801
02/17/13 20:15
02/17/13 20:15
Germany / Essen
Uhrwerk Offline
Expert
Uhrwerk  Offline
Expert

Germany / Essen
Originally Posted By: JustSid
trying to gain the moral highground over Unity.
That's like gaining moral high-ground over a saw with a hammer.
Originally Posted By: JustSid
The "look what Unity is capable of, lololol" has set a new low record for the "we are better because meh"
I can only speak for me here, but it's just great to see that you can fuck up even with the almighty unity. There are tons of surrealy bad games made with gamestudio. And all this "oh my god gamestudio is dead. We all have to switch to unity!!11" ranting really annoys me. Especially as there is a new thread with this bullshit every five minutes. So it's pretty relaxing to see a bad unity game. Apart from that the animations are funny regardless of the engine used. grin

Always learn from history, to be sure you make the same mistakes again...
Re: Unity sucks, and so do you [Re: HeelX] #417802
02/17/13 20:28
02/17/13 20:28
germany
gri Offline
Serious User
gri  Offline
Serious User

germany
yes we all of remaining 3DGS users have our reasons to do it the gamestudio way.

Its sad that many friends switched the engine but thats the life. Some moves on and new check in.

Sure Unity is not that bad. But for me I did spend time and money in Acknex engine.

BEcause I dont develop games as mainbusiness I came to the conclusion. What I dont arrive with acknex , I'm unable to do with any other engine.

So I work on an demo this days....the gamestudio way.

"Make a great game or kill it early" (Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios)
Re: Unity sucks, and so do you [Re: gri] #417803
02/17/13 20:45
02/17/13 20:45
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

@JustSid :
I htink i posted too much today and talk too much about Unity LOL laugh

Now, I'm not saying that Unity is better than Gamestudio, at the end of the day, all that counts is that YOU use what gets the job done best for you. If that's Unity, then that's just fine, if it's Gamestudio, fine too, if it's any other engine: That's fucking fine as well. Use the tool that is perfect for your taks and that get's the job done for you.

I TOTALLY AGREE.

PS: Some more hypocritical bullshit some here come up with: Mobile is stupid because mobile is casual. Well, alright, you don't have to like casual or mobile gaming, whatever. But how the hell are you able to cry about the non-existant mobile support for Gamestudio at the same time? "Oh dear, Gamestudio will die because there is no mobile support. Also, guys, I think that all mobile games suck because they are casual and there is no real immersion. Unity sucks, amirite?". Ugh.

After playing some mobile games, i just can say some are really addictive, you have fun, it's like old games on CPC 464, you just push start, perhaps some intro screens , and let's go , just play.
And some RPG have a big quality.
So no mobile is not only casual.

PPS: Ratchet, if you try to turn this into a Unity vs Gamestudio debate, I will move your posts into an extra thread (that counts for everyone else as well)

YOU ARE RIGTH.
THANKS TO REMEMBER ME , THAT I SHOULD AVOID TALKING UNITY, ESENTHEL , OGRE 3D etc ... WE ARE USING 3DGS.
AND YES IT WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN 3DGS OR UNITY, LIKE UT3 DEV KIT IF YOU HAVE A GOOD TEAM WITH YOU.

-------------

OK , i htink i will remember to avoid to be stupid and turning each time i see Unity word somewhere in some Vs flamewar.

Perhaps it's to hurry up Conitec to deliver Android, but well it will be ready when it will be ready not before, and i don't think i'll put any pressure by doing some flamewars also , and i will only annoy people.

---------

It's like going to some dancefloor and saying , hey it's better to go to a super bar near here, they have that and that ... and front of you they say :
What are you talking about, don't you have some fun here ? so stop talking about what is elsewhere and just enjoy here !

This is 3DGS Forums, just enjoy A8 laugh
(even if we hope better thinsg on the future)

Last edited by ratchet; 02/17/13 20:56.
Re: Unity sucks, and so do you [Re: ratchet] #417835
02/18/13 16:59
02/18/13 16:59
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
every musician has theire style ...every game/coder has theire engine needs and
preference .. i jump around and explore , depending on what
i want to do i choose an engine per game/idea

Compulsive compiler
Re: Unity sucks, and so do you [Re: Wjbender] #417840
02/18/13 17:20
02/18/13 17:20
Sajeth Offline
User
Sajeth  Offline
User

Yes, Unity sucks. Nope, we don't suck.
There are so many logical flaws in your argumentation it makes my head hurt. But since you're just acting up again and no one is taking this serious anyways I'm not gonna point them out.

Also:
ACKNEX IS DYING
UNITY IS TEH SUXX0R
JCL FIX MY LIFE ALREADY
I'M GOING TO CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP TODAY BECAUSE I WILL NEVER FINISH THAT ONE GAME CONCEPT THAT MADE ME LEARN CODING (ah that one is probably true)

1/10 made me reply
2/10 I like your new avatar
Also, I'm too much of a fucking asperger's anyway so it's virtually impossible for me to switch to Unity after years of using Acknex.

Last edited by Sajeth; 02/18/13 22:05.

Teleschrott-Fan.
Re: Unity sucks, and so do you [Re: Sajeth] #417866
02/18/13 21:42
02/18/13 21:42
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
My opinion on 3DGS:
From A6 onward the engine went downhill due to various reasons which I don't want list in detail here. When reaching A8 it already was far from being state-of-the-art in terms of what other semi-professional engines (like Unity) could deliver. Then the development basically stalled due to dubious MMO developments and lately the Zorro project. That's why 3DGS as rather sub-par engine started to hopelessly fall behind and I don't really see why this engine nowadays would appeal to new users despite extremely rare conditions. The tools are very outdated, the featureset is "okayish" at its best and the proprietary language of Lite-C also isn't that appealing...

Re: Unity sucks, and so do you [Re: Toast] #417867
02/18/13 22:05
02/18/13 22:05
Sajeth Offline
User
Sajeth  Offline
User

Congratulations on your 1.000th post being an Acknex-bashing-post.
You're such a traitor, man.

Teleschrott-Fan.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de