by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Imhotep, opm), 785 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
"Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest #408790
10/07/12 15:06
10/07/12 15:06
Berlin, Germany
S
SchokoKeks Offline OP
User
SchokoKeks  Offline OP
User
S

Berlin, Germany
Realms of Generica

is a techdemo game I developed together with what I call my "MMORPG TUSC", a framework that was supposed to be flexible enough to develop basic MMORPGs without writing code. After 2 years of development (with many pauses inbetween), I felt like it was time to release a demo to test the stability of the basic system.

Download (53 MB)
stresstest has ended, thanks to everyone who participated!

Some screenshots so you know what you are downloading:

How to play
The game plays like a Diablo-style hack-and-slay game. Leftclick to move and attack. Some parts are not easy, so make sure you always have the best weapon equipped and use your skills often. To do that, you have to move the skills to the skill shortcut bar and then use keys 1-9 to use them. Also be fast to drink health potions.
If you have time, please do all the 5 quests available.

Known issues
- The client sometimes crashes on zone change.
- If the game hangs on loading, one of the servers crashed. This shouldn't happen, but if it does please write me a PM.
- Resolution and audio level can't be changed yet, sorry.
- No group/party system, no PvP, XP and gold isn't shared between players.
Newly found bugs:
- Level up sound and message is also displayed if other players near you level up.

Tech talk
Game is completely written in C++. The game logic is fully independent of Gamestudio. That's necessary because the server runs on linux. Everything is highly optimized for low resource use (CPU, network etc).

So, please test the game, and report bugs that you find. Keep in mind that the game itself only serves as a testing platform, to don't expect too much gameplay from it.

Thank you for you help!

Last edited by SchokoKeks; 11/09/12 09:51.
Re: "Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest [Re: SchokoKeks] #408792
10/07/12 16:37
10/07/12 16:37
Germany, Magdeburg
JoGa Offline
User
JoGa  Offline
User

Germany, Magdeburg
hi, tried to register, but on shift, alt-gr or the arrow-keys it writes an "E" in the email-field - so I can't register wink

ps: the knight reminds me on a game, which was made with 3dgs, too. Arwenia? I dont know the name anymore laugh

Last edited by JoGa; 10/07/12 17:26.
Re: "Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest [Re: JoGa] #408794
10/07/12 16:59
10/07/12 16:59
Berlin, Germany
S
SchokoKeks Offline OP
User
SchokoKeks  Offline OP
User
S

Berlin, Germany
Thanks for reporting, other players had the same problem. Never experienced this on any of my machines, but the funny thing is that everyone else had this issue. The joy of the Windows API wink.
Thanks to MasterQ32, I'm currently uploading a new version that uses a different key input method. It'll be online in 5 minutes.

EDIT: Its up now!

The good news is that the servers seem to be very stable, which is main goal this test.

Last edited by SchokoKeks; 10/07/12 17:04.
Re: "Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest [Re: SchokoKeks] #408803
10/07/12 20:45
10/07/12 20:45
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Looks great for a 3DGS game.

I understand your C++ programming ,this way you have full liberty and structures and classes that is top for reusabilty,
and management of code.
How are made the levels ? is this 3D tiles ?

If your system would be enought visual for 3D artists to use , believe me, even for 3D artists it would be some amazing package laugh Im' sure you would be very successfull selling such system, caus RPG is one type of game many people try to make one (RPG Maker stuff and others ...)

there is some template system for 3DGS that shows the C Script and how to manage things , that great help indeed laugh
But having some ready to use RPG system for 3DGS as polished as yours , i'm sure it would be successfull.

-------------
What techniques do you use ? LOD ? or not because the view helps to reduce objesct at screen ?
no shaders ?
Anyway, even here , your textures matches well, the level seems homogenous, and lightening indoor is great !
What lightening system do you use for indoor dungeon ? (simple lights , shaders with lights ?)
How do you make indoor levels ? (modeling app , or 3D tiles ?)

Keep it up !
I'll try your demo !

Last edited by ratchet; 10/07/12 20:49.
Re: "Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest [Re: ratchet] #408804
10/07/12 21:08
10/07/12 21:08
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Demo tried so impressions :

Good :
- versy solid base
- even the GUI interface are great
- For an indie game the 3D art is solid expect players but they must be just to test.
- The radar map discovery on the upper screen is great also !

Bad :
- a crash when entering teh dungeon for rats ?
- The player walks TOO SLOW : i wnat to fight and discover towns and NPC, not waste my time walking so SLOW !
(Old RPG where you wasted your time walking instead of playing are finished : Just try Skyrim or Guild Wars 2 and teleport systems, and the characters don't run slowly !!)
- The monsters don't respawn ? even afetr quit and re enter on some area !

And we have to click each time to attack ??
Well perhaps it's my taste , but i would prefer to have to click only one time for my character to attack the ennemy alone without having to click each time !
That's better gameplay whe nyou have some bar with powers to manage :
You click the ennemy one time , then you can let it attack alone and then manage the powers of your character laugh

TorchLight need also like your game lot of clicks to attack each time, so that point is more some personnal taste !

Re: "Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest [Re: ratchet] #408809
10/07/12 21:36
10/07/12 21:36
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
@ratched:
have you read the description?
this is a techdemo, not a game demo!
it's about his MMO framework laugh

so this is not a usual RPG, Mobs need their time to respawn, it doesn't matter if you close the game or not, it depends on his server!

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: "Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest [Re: MasterQ32] #408812
10/07/12 21:43
10/07/12 21:43
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Ok , i didn't see anything respaw, that's why i talked about that.
Anyway i know it's some tech demo, but it's really complete system already laugh
I would want to see more about the game ? some visual tools ?

@SchokoKeks :
What system do you use for 3D tiles ? sprites with panels ?
squarre 3D models ? don't you found some lightening problem ro seems visible woth 3D tiles ?
(it's some big probelm i have with 3DGS , i can't make some level without visible lighetning problem on 3D tiles : two adjacent 3D tiles never have same lighetning on "glued" vertex)
And you seem that you don't have that problem on your level !
So if you have some bit of code or little demo i would want indeed laugh !

Re: "Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest [Re: ratchet] #408815
10/07/12 22:33
10/07/12 22:33
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
@ratched: just split up the model into separate faces (if you use cubes create 6 planes and stick them together to a cube but don't merge the vertices^^)

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: "Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest [Re: ratchet] #408817
10/07/12 22:42
10/07/12 22:42
Berlin, Germany
S
SchokoKeks Offline OP
User
SchokoKeks  Offline OP
User
S

Berlin, Germany
Thank for your feedback ratchet. I'll start with the issues:

- Enemy respawning works, but it takes about 4 minutes. I can't make it lower, because then people would have to fight the same monsters again when they leave the dungeon.
- Crashes are very frequent, sadly. The problem here is that I hardly ever have any of those crashes on my own computers, so this makes it very hard to debug. I could not yet find any pattern in which they happen.
- About player walking too slow: Thats true, also the "Grassland" area is too large. I'll probably make the player a bit faster and increase the distance of the camera so you can see more of the level.
- Clicking to attack: I'll leave it like this, but I will add the possibility to hold the mouse key to walk and attack.

On the technical side:
The levels use a custom file format, I have written my own editor for it:

The game is tile-based, which makes pathfinding and collision easy. remember, the server has to run without any gamestudio function.
I'm not doing anything specific with the tiles, they are not connected. Just simple mdl files. I'm using the standard shadow and lightning system, and it works okay.
Shadows often go through walls and change their orientation rapidly, causing quite a lot of visible errors.
Decals and decal shadows don't work with tiles.

Also, I've developed a custom level loading system, which only loads the part of the level that is visible into the gamestudio engine. With this, I don't need a LOD system. The network code is also optimized that you only get updates on things that are very near.

All the game data and the GUI is read from XML files, if you are interested you can find them in the "data/be" directory. With this, the editor and the server application you can create your own MMO game (as long as it uses the same game mechanic as this).

Thanks to everyone who played to far, already found quite a few bugs laugh The server still seems to be stable!

Re: "Realms of Generica" mmorpg techdemo - stresstest [Re: SchokoKeks] #408818
10/07/12 23:15
10/07/12 23:15
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Congratulations again, nice work! The game sadly crashed for me, too, after I killed the monsters in the cave, collected their loot, closed the inventory and when I tried to open it again, acknex.exe stopped working.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de