by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (TipmyPip, AndrewAMD, Quad, aliswee, degenerate_762), 970 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
HorusIDE - Development-Thread #398845
04/07/12 17:21
04/07/12 17:21
Hessen, Germany
T
Tempelbauer Offline OP
Expert
Tempelbauer  Offline OP
Expert
T

Hessen, Germany
What is Horus?
An IDE for Lite-C (and other)!

Why i´m doing this?
You surely noticed that the gamestudio community is nowadays small and tiny. So, creating a tool for it is much work for just a little circle of developers. That Horus became such a tool is fortune. I started the development of it because I want to do the following (in this priority):
1. Getting familiar with development lifecycle (sourcecode control of large scaled projects, time/resource-planning, software engineering, etc)
2. Dive into all aspects of Software Development (UI Design, SW-Architecture, Marketing, Deployment, etc)
3. Create a huge application for my portfolio (to say, the flagship) till my computer study ends
4. Creating a useful software which can be needed in practice

History
I´ve started the development of Horus (3rd generation) on 21st April last year. But the idea is older. On July 26th, 2009 I decided creating an editor. This 1st generation is just a simple text-editor, like windows editor, but with a multidocument-interface. The 2nd generation was a WinForms based, more advanced, editor (already with syntax highlighting and some coding-related features). But fast I reached the limitations of WinForms and developing it becomes a mess (mainly about the restricted possibilities of GUI-customization). With a heavy heart I cancelled the project. And then, April 2011, I started a new attempt – now with WPF. And this time I wanted to specialize it to Web-Development, because I was not happy with any Web-development IDE.
In Fall 2011 I saw, that this was the right decision. The editor was growing and getting better and better (for this reason you will find Web-related stuff in it).
On December 12th 2011 Timo Stark cancelled his liteEditor-Project, you may remember. His reason was too much work for a too small community. As I read his postings I got a flash of inspiration: gamestudio is the destiny of Horus. There so many reasons to build it for acknex:
- Serving a market niche: liteEditor – dead, AckStudio IDE – dead, 3DGS EasyScripter – dead. All the enthusiast editor-projects died before a useful release. I guess that DJBMASTER and Michael Schwarz had similar reasons for the cancellation of their projects like Timo. To me, it can not happen, because I never developed Horus for the community, I develop it just for myself grin . So Horus has the potential to get the world leading IDE for Lite-C development. SED is beatable…
- A finished Version is a realistic alternative to SED. I could need it myself to create games.
- It may help to keep 3DGS alive. With a new WED (if it comes) and a better script-editor, Acknex gets more attractive.
- The community has a greater choice of coding-IDE´s. I read that most users use other tools like Notepad++, Eclipse or something other with a Lite-C Highlighting. Some still using SED and one I saw uses liteEditor. All of them are not perfect. In every IDE there are missing features (like code completion for engine-symbols or its difficult to set up or something else)

My aims with Horus
It’s simple to say: Develop a good software application.
But what do you think is good software? What are the qualities? If you ask me, good software should be…
- …handy: I use software not for fun (beside games, of course), but to solve problems. So the software should serve possibilities to solve them.
- …steady: I REALLY dislike software where I have to be frightened that it can crash anytime and without warning.
- …stylish: I love sexy Software-UI. A cool looking app (especially dark themes) is a pleasure for my eyes and I tend to feel positive about the software.
- …comfortable: There have to be a good workflow.
With Horus I try to meet these requirements. Maybe it takes some time yet, but Horus is still a young bird…

Features of Horus
Now, to have a closer look, here are the features of it:

Key-Features:
- LiteC / HLSL Syntax Highlighting
- Intelligent Type Highlighting: Custom Types defined in your project will be recognized and highlighted
- Code-Completion: Suggestion of Engine- and custom symbols (defines, variables, functions and structs)
- Manual-Binding for Code-Completion: See the manual-content while typing the function name
- Custom Code-Folding: Group your code for a better organisation (like in C#)
- Code-Jumper
- Customizable User Interface (Docking Panels)
- Publish-Option to create exe

Additional Features:
- Multilingual User Interface
- Inline-To-Do
- Copy Declarations: Copy Prototypes and other Declarations to the clipboard
- Toggle Comments
- Engine-Command line in the Toolbar: change the command line options easily
- Engine Syntax-Check
- Go To Definition
- Editor-Split view
- Link to Source-Folder
- Custom Places in File Open/Save-Dialog
- Multiplayer-Run: start the engine twice (with server and client options) with one click

Puh… I think I said enough.
May screenshots put you over the edge…

Re: HorusIDE [Re: Tempelbauer] #398846
04/07/12 17:25
04/07/12 17:25
Germany
C
Ch40zzC0d3r Offline
Serious User
Ch40zzC0d3r  Offline
Serious User
C

Germany
Nice grin
And where is the download? tongue

Re: HorusIDE [Re: Ch40zzC0d3r] #398850
04/07/12 17:50
04/07/12 17:50
Schweiz
Widi Offline
Serious User
Widi  Offline
Serious User

Schweiz
Want to try it. wink

Re: HorusIDE [Re: Ch40zzC0d3r] #398851
04/07/12 17:59
04/07/12 17:59
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
Looks neat, I would test its English version when it goes to test phase.
Good luck for further work!

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: HorusIDE [Re: sivan] #398864
04/08/12 00:09
04/08/12 00:09
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
This sounds and looks really cool, I especially like the code grouping in the last screenshot.
The most crucial thing for me is that the editor never crashes or even damages code files, everything else is not so important to me.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: HorusIDE [Re: Superku] #398866
04/08/12 01:47
04/08/12 01:47
Hessen, Germany
T
Tempelbauer Offline OP
Expert
Tempelbauer  Offline OP
Expert
T

Hessen, Germany
thanks for the kind words.

currently i´m working on milestone 6 of 8.
would be cool, if i could publish the first version on April 21st (exactly 1 year after start), but there are many minor issues that have to be fixed (issues that slow down the workflow).
i calculate with May 1st for the first version
german and english language files included

Quote:
The most crucial thing for me is that the editor never crashes or even damages code files, everything else is not so important to me.

indeed, this is very important. and one of the editors strengths

Re: HorusIDE [Re: Tempelbauer] #398885
04/08/12 14:34
04/08/12 14:34
T
TechMuc Offline
User
TechMuc  Offline
User
T

i really really hope you'll finish this editor laugh and i see wxwidgets & scintilla editor components? ;-)

If you need any help, let me know.

Re: HorusIDE [Re: TechMuc] #398887
04/08/12 14:49
04/08/12 14:49
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
Keeping an eye on it, though I do not like the UI as much as Sublime Text's.

Such a small code overview that is scrollable would be really cool.

Also, I really like the multi selection of sublime, really handy - think about it^^!

Re: HorusIDE [Re: Tempelbauer] #398902
04/08/12 17:22
04/08/12 17:22
cyberspace
W
Wjbender Offline
User
Wjbender  Offline
User
W

cyberspace
looks good .what i think you should add to this a editor to lay out ui objects/buttons like
c++ or atleast support for plugins if it does not have yet

Compulsive compiler
Re: HorusIDE [Re: Wjbender] #398923
04/08/12 21:14
04/08/12 21:14
saeculum II
MPQ Offline
MPQ  Offline

saeculum II
wow great! really like this project and want to use this software wink

new project in early stage...

Intel Xeon X3450 2,66GHz | Mushkin 8 Gib | Zotac GTS250 + 7300LE | A8.3 com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de