by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 559 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: ratchet] #394982
02/18/12 15:47
02/18/12 15:47
England
M
MrGuest Offline
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline
Serious User
M

England
WTF are you complaining about?
Originally Posted By: Ratchet
But again i don't think you'll do better than Starcraft 2 , it was made by thousand of skilled people and lot of very skilled programmers
So don't compare to Starcraft 2 !
You're the only one who's compared it to Starcraft 2...

Incredible, how some lonewolf guy would be better than Blizzard or some other big RTS ?
I think you are taking the simple way, space combat RTS :
there are already some bunch of games , even some indie amateur in WIP also lot better than yours.

Space RTS is lot more cheap to make, caus you don't have to make very complex AI for terrain , building , obstacles , no rigging and unit animations etc ...
As you've already said, he's ONE person but now you criticise for not trying to remake Starcraft 2...

Originally Posted By: kmega99
to build the next best RTS space game using Game Studio A7
RTS does not necessarily mean it's going to be on land, he's making a space game, so after all your wrong assumptions of what kmega99 said he was attempting to make, accept you were wrong and stop comparing EVERYONE's game to AAA games on the market!

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: ratchet] #394985
02/18/12 15:54
02/18/12 15:54
K
kmega99 Offline OP
kmega99  Offline OP
K

The main purpose of the screen-shots is to show the game has some amount of potential & proof that I am making progress. smile

Large scale RTS space ship battles over territory in space is the objective but it will have features unlike any rts to date.

When I said building the next best rts space game I was referring to battles between space ships and not games like SC2.

All of my modeling is being done with MED which seems powerful enough for me to create everything I need.

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #394990
02/18/12 18:34
02/18/12 18:34
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

@MrGuest:
I agree with Starcraft 2.
Nevermind, he can something, but saying the best ever made ?
For me it should have at least that sort of graphics :

And some great GUI, animations , effects, AI pathfinding , great music , great sounds , great multiplayer gameplay etc ...
(He should begin to be more humble in the goals, even if he's dreaming for big !)

And for the moment like i said the sky is poor, very amateur.
The ships are hidden perhaps to hide how bad they are ?
So well ... the best ever made space game ??

Well 2 or 3 months ??
We are 18 Fev , lets' wait for me 18 April laugh ...

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: ratchet] #395006
02/18/12 19:45
02/18/12 19:45
England
M
MrGuest Offline
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline
Serious User
M

England
I agree with that, the dates definitely not possible but he's said 10% through.

Every project I've worked on (except this current one) has place holder models until about 40/50% through. He's not showing anything spectacular just showing he's making/made progress.

If by 18April he's further than 50% finished I'll be amazed!

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: MrGuest] #395009
02/18/12 20:57
02/18/12 20:57
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
@Ratchet:
Quote:
Nevermind, he can something, but saying the best ever made ?
That's enthusiasm, and is invaluable in game development.

His progress is looking great. So what if he's not meeting his own expected timeline? What differentiates him from others is that he's actually still going.

Please be more constructive. Also, for me personally, I prefer when people don't embed screenshots of other games in threads about a particular game's progress. (EDIT: I think it's better if you just post a link to such screenshots)

Last edited by JibbSmart; 02/18/12 21:39.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: ratchet] #395010
02/18/12 21:10
02/18/12 21:10
K
kmega99 Offline OP
kmega99  Offline OP
K

Those screen-shots posted by ratchet are nice.

For me there has to be a balance in graphics and performance. The goal is for nearly 1000 or more ships to be fighting it out at any given time.

I can't say that the graphics will look as good as SC2 but for someone with 0 experience in graphics design except for what I've done so far, not too bad.

The screen-shots of SC2 are however a good example on which way to go. Meaning that, I should do my best to look just as good but not the same.

Multi-player performance is one of my biggest goals.

I do appreciate honest opinions about my current & future screen-shots as it helps to steer me in the right direction of becoming a true game developer. grin

Even though I'm in the process of developing a game, I cannot call myself a game developer until I've built at least one awesome game.

I should have more screen-shots available soon. cool

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: kmega99] #395024
02/18/12 23:39
02/18/12 23:39
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

I agree to be enthousiast.

But the thread he begun was more like some young kids saying :
"I'll make the best MMO ever"
He targetted best space game ever, it means best graphics ever, best AI ever, best UI ever , best music ever , tec ... etc ... (This means best than Blizzard game !!)
with unrealistic goals, i can't take that seriously laugh ??

But now it seems he targets lot more standard space game, nothing incredible, nothing new, etc ...
I won't annoy anyone in this topic, he's free to say :
"It will be the best game ever , made in two months" laugh
If this keeps him motivated ??

That's just me that i am some more realistic and aware in terms of 3D work what some lonewolf game can cost on time,
and how 3D skills need lot of practice.

So good luck for it's game if he finishes something !

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: ratchet] #395030
02/19/12 00:12
02/19/12 00:12
England
M
MrGuest Offline
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline
Serious User
M

England
Sorry to go off-topic so much in this thread but the way everyone interprets what's written on this and most forums is if there's any possibilty of it meaning something negative it gets jumped on at the first opportunity.

The way your read a post isn't always as it was intended to be read, one of the joys of being unable to listen to tone of voice, see body language etc...

You (and this isn't just directly aimed at you) as others do, judge so quickly and make your own opinions in your translation of what your think the composer of a post is trying to say.

Imagine someone comes onto a forum and posts I'm going to create a game it'll be the best flight game ever and introduce a game mechanic that'll be copied all over world!

You and others may think
it means best graphics ever, best AI ever, best UI ever , best music ever , tec
though that's not what has been said.

The game could've been Angry Birds, that post didn't actually exist (to my knowledge anyway) and was meant only hypothetically though hopefully you can see the point I'm trying to make.

While people are trying to be creative, do something new and have ambition don't quash or seem to quash it so much and give them a chance to show they have the skills to do something. It might turn into nothing, as we've all seen in so many similar posts, but it may turn into something glorious. He's asked for no criticism, ideas or guidance but we all (yes, me included) are always too quick to interfere when that's not what was being requested. Who are we to judge anyway?

Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: MrGuest] #395032
02/19/12 00:22
02/19/12 00:22
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
But don't forget that that how you chose your words, you also change the expectations of others.
How you choose your wording, and this also includes written words, change to which conclusions people jump and in this case it was a big announcement with bold words.

I'd say, if you don't want people saying you are nuts for making bold statements, don't make them (I should probably learn from this too *sigh*)

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Building the next best space game. [Re: WretchedSid] #395065
02/19/12 15:57
02/19/12 15:57
K
kmega99 Offline OP
kmega99  Offline OP
K

The only possible way for me to meet my time-line is to do everything right from the very beginning.

Before I start building a battle ship I have a question about model design.

The models file size must be as small as possible while looking very good.

Would it be better to use several small skins on a model or better to use a bigger single skin that has all the colors? confused

I've decided to step up the graphics to match quality of SC2 or higher.

The command carrier that I'm working on does look awesome so far but with a cost of extra polygons. This game will be far above standard.

All of the unique features will be a surprise but for now I only share progress.

I won't be showing all of my work, just samples.

I hope if I do a good enough job on this game that I may get a job offer from any game development company. cool

The game that I'm building now will show my potential in graphics design & programming.

It will also show my commitment in finishing what I started.

Last edited by JustSid; 02/20/12 18:32.
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  HeelX, Lukas, rayp, Rei_Ayanami, Superku, Tobias, TWO, VeT 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de