by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (vicknick, 7th_zorro), 888 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? #385532
10/19/11 18:37
10/19/11 18:37
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Hi, I'm quite excited about what is going on on the streets worldwide.
I sort of missed that the last Saturday was full of demostrations in different towns of quite a number of countries.
The Occupy Wallstreet movement was inspired by demonstrations in the North African nations,
and more and more people are going to demonstrate for 'more democracy now' and against the influence of the big money.

Next Saturday other demonstrations are following, as far as I heard, in my town, as well.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Pappenheimer] #385540
10/19/11 21:28
10/19/11 21:28
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
These people hardly know what they're protesting, if that.

Civil unrest of this calibre is just an opportunity for government upheaval, and unfortunately, most upheavals do not end well, especially for countries like the USA which (if you take a quick look at history) can only get worse at this point.

Suffice to say that I don't support this in any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT: Considering how long this has been going on I'm surprised it took this long for it to become a topic of discussion on these forums.

I'm also already regretting this post, as I'm sure that in just a few hours I'll have a few negative replies from the other end of the ideological spectrum to deal with. -.-

Last edited by Redeemer; 10/19/11 21:33.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Redeemer] #385546
10/19/11 22:03
10/19/11 22:03
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
I know what I protest, because I observed political tendencies since my youth thirty years ago.
It got worse than we were able to expect.
I know I protest against the loss of fundamental political control standards called 'seperation of powers'.
And I know that many people actually know what they are protesting against,
although it is a complex mix of indvidual situations and the political/financial evolutions of the last years/decades!

So I don't care f.i. whether the young people in Spain demonstrate because of fifty percent of unemployment among them,
or whether they demonstrate because they are disgusted by the irresponsible gambling of the banks.
Both is connected. And, maybe, there is the chance to re-establish functioning democracy and constitutionality.

It is the chance to point the way with like-minded people - and such chances are rare in history, so we have to grab them when they come.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Pappenheimer] #385549
10/19/11 22:26
10/19/11 22:26
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
You bring up real problems. No one denies that those in power are sometimes reckless and irresponsible. But at the same time, you bring up no potential solutions. This entire campaign is completely uncoordinated, and it can only succeed in creating civil unrest as I mentioned.

The people who engage in this are just asking for some totalitarian regime to come and "liberate them." That's exactly how the Soviets took over Russia, and its exactly how the Nazis took over Germany. Pander to the unhappy masses, come to power, dominate. It's a simple, foolproof way to become the world's next dictator of terror.

Last edited by Redeemer; 10/19/11 22:28.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Redeemer] #385551
10/19/11 22:39
10/19/11 22:39
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Just a link for the Germans:
http://www.wdr.de/tv/monitor/sendungen/2011/0825/bruessel.php5

EDIT:

Additional links (German):
http://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/sendung/tt3438.html

https://www.attac.de/aktuell/eurokrise/online-appell/

Sorry, Redeemer, I'm quite clumpsy discussing political issues in english.

Originally Posted By: Redeemer
You bring up real problems. No one denies that those in power are sometimes reckless and irresponsible. But at the same time, you bring up no potential solutions.

That's not the case anymore:
By this time those in power follow already the proposals of the financial lobbyists continuesly(!)
(not just from time to time),
and it seems that this can be observed in the USA and in Europe about several years now.

Here a movie about the crash in 2008:
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/watch-inside-job-wall-street-horror-movie-free-0
I can't say how much of that what I've seen in this movie is correct,
so I'm curious about what you - and others - confirm or deny.

Last edited by Pappenheimer; 10/19/11 23:26. Reason: added links and replies
Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Pappenheimer] #385555
10/19/11 23:12
10/19/11 23:12
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
im in the middle. i think the people who know what they want and have the brainpower to put together a well purposed well organized demonstration are to busy with real life, which leaves a lot of people who dont know what the hell they are talking about to vouch for the large amount of us who do have real issues with wall street.

Its like the 2 distinct type of legalized marijauna supporters out there:

The well put together one with facts, information, and is successful but just uses it recreationally
VS
The crazy hippy stoners that ramble on about a couple of things they know about cannabis followed with the with the incessant use of the words "yeah,man"

This really creates a problem because the media and more importantly the opposition pays attention to the latter of the two and then we all suffer from it.

It really is a fitting analogy.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: lostclimate] #385560
10/19/11 23:28
10/19/11 23:28
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
lostclimate, is this an argument against following this movement?

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: lostclimate] #385561
10/19/11 23:38
10/19/11 23:38
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Originally Posted By: Pappenheimer
Sorry, Redeemer, I'm quite clumpsy discussing political issues in english.

No problem! laugh I'm actually pleased that this discussion hasn't already taken a turn for the worse.

Originally Posted By: Pappenheimer
By this time those in power follow already the proposals of the financial lobbyists continuesly(!)

I can't say I agree with this. In a recent statement, President Obama (in his attempt to find support for his jobs bill) said that he supported the Occupy Wallstreet movement. Unsurprisingly, the Communist and Nazi parties in America approved of his statement. This can't be a coincidence.

Incidentally, when America was formed there were a number of requirements to becoming a voting citizen. You had to be male, own your own property (that doesn't include rented/leased/mortgaged property) and be of a certain upper class of people. Basically, you had to be someone of influence and power. The reason this was done was to prevent mob rule, whereby the ignorant, uncoordinated masses work together to topple the government, only to be taken advantage of and subsequently subverted by would-be dictators.

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
i think the people who know what they want and have the brainpower to put together a well purposed well organized demonstration are to busy with real life, which leaves a lot of people who dont know what the hell they are talking about to vouch for the large amount of us who do have real issues with wall street.

You bring up a good point, LC. There is a "great silent majority," as LBJ put, who do not stand very far towards either end of the political spectrum. Many times we are represented in government by the extremists.

However, trouble can arise when the entire majority makes a political shift. Which direction the shift must occur in before trouble sets in is a very debatable topic that I wouldn't want to involve myself in in the slightest.

Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Redeemer] #385590
10/20/11 16:52
10/20/11 16:52
Sajeth Offline
User
Sajeth  Offline
User

Kids in 300$ jeans are protesting the rich because they only got an iPhone 3GS for birthday instead of a 4S.
It is not about a change of society, about finding new values, about giving and helping, it is envy. Just like some people hate their neighbours because of their more expensive cars, janitors hate the professors because they get more appreciation and nerds hate the football players because they get more pussy.
"Why do I need to work for what I want and those people dont? Fuck 'em!"
The only difference to the neighbours, janitors and nerds is that you'll find far more people who are hating on "the rich". Living in warm houses, eating three times a day, having access to medical care, being able to waste their time on the internet, but "we are the 99%". This is not about politics, it's about ingratitude and greed.

Last edited by Sajeth; 10/20/11 16:54.

Teleschrott-Fan.
Re: Occupy Wallstreet - What do you think? [Re: Sajeth] #385593
10/20/11 17:31
10/20/11 17:31
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline OP
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Sorry, are you trolling? - Do you read? Do you know anything about what you are talking about? Where are those rich in 300$ jeans within your neighbourhood?
I don't even _know_ anyone who even considers to buy such expencive clothes.
BTW, it is not about what they _still_ have, but about that they can't expect to find any job!(That's completely unrelated to any envy...)

Honestly, what are you talking about?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de