by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Nymphodora, AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, Quad, Imhotep), 847 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Unity aiming for world domination? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #376132
06/30/11 09:08
06/30/11 09:08
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

The next 2 versions of Unity are extremely interesting. It looks like they really try to enter the AAA market:

Unity Announcement

• Allegorithmic Substance integration (procedural textures)
  • Better Shadows
  • Multicore Rendering and Skinning (2-3x faster)
  • Graphics optimizations, like improved deferred rendering
  • Terrain works on mobile platforms also

But I am even more excited about the 3.5 features, especially directional lightmaps (radiosity normal maps), lightprobes for lighting dynamic objects, it will calculate paths from level geometry and there is a crowd simulation, better particles, visual GUI editor, better occlusion culling.

All in all it will allow me to use features that I know from UDK or Vision3d. If they implement it right, they will offer a really competitive technology. And the best: these announced features work on mobiles too, as you can see here:

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/06/08/advanced-shading-and-lighting-for-mobile/

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity aiming for world domination? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #376139
06/30/11 10:15
06/30/11 10:15
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
Looks good! It's kind of ironic though, that the game's name is Shadowgun, while there aren't character shadows..

I'm definently looking forward for any and all Unity updates! laugh

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Unity aiming for world domination? [Re: Inestical] #376145
06/30/11 11:29
06/30/11 11:29
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: Inestical
Looks good! It's kind of ironic though, that the game's name is Shadowgun, while there aren't character shadows..

This is a game for mobile phones. Real-time shadows are too expensive in this case. And as far as I can see they added some slight blob shadow under characters. The main lighting is pre-calculated while the probes allow to change lighting intensity, direction and colour on characters in real-time.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity aiming for world domination? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #376526
07/03/11 23:19
07/03/11 23:19
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

They've grown fast and a lot after Unity 2.X
Before they were like other 3D engine companies just beginning, but already in the beginning when there was only Mac support lot of pople was dreaming of having such workflow on Windows, what comed to reality !
Another big point is the marketing they do is really good, like conferences, mail news on incoming new features nad updates etc ...

But i just think the thing that have boosted the engine popularity have simply been the Iphone support indeed. lot of pople jumped to Unity caus it was prooven, with lot of published games in the Store, and a
great workflow indeed.
Lot of pople have done some good money with it, some have jumped to Pro after some success on a game for the Store.

Not all indie engines have an ARMY of skilled PROGRAMMERS behind laugh
And a strong advertising strategy indeed.

I think others engines have their own users also, specially when you see the price of the Pro version of Unity for iphone or Windows.
And not all people will spend such amount of money to have real time shadows and for making indie games !

Well i hope one day to see some A9 for Iphone laugh !

Re: Unity aiming for world domination? [Re: ratchet] #376534
07/04/11 03:14
07/04/11 03:14
B
bart_the_13th Offline
bart_the_13th  Offline
B

What makes Unity (or at least on of the things that) get a lot of user is the fact that it gives you right to publish game using the free version. While it has some limitation(render 2texture mostly, splash screen on PC build, no big deal or watermark on web build that can be blended into your UI) in the feature, the free version has more than enough feature to arm your games to get released in the market. Plus they don't have to expose their assets even using the freebies.

User can make profit with the free version with the expectation that they will buy the Pro version with the profit(and I'm sure they will). Add that with the fact that Unity offers multiplatform capability. If your game make a hit on PC, why dont you publish it on mobiles with a couple hundred of bucks. And when you want to advert it online, publish a demo on the web or throw some facebook API into it and host it on facebook.

Re: Unity aiming for world domination? [Re: bart_the_13th] #376538
07/04/11 06:37
07/04/11 06:37
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
yes, if i had the xtra cash i'd def. get unity. like ratchet said "AN ARMY OF PROGRAMMERS" and that about sums it up. if they get any bigger or more powerful, the us will likely find a way to invade them, and exploit them for financial gain.

Re: Unity aiming for world domination? [Re: lostclimate] #376539
07/04/11 06:52
07/04/11 06:52
A
alpha_strike Offline
Serious User
alpha_strike  Offline
Serious User
A

I own unity since a few weeks, but I never get the push to start learning for it. But a few days ago, I stumbled
again over the walker boys. And now it began to be a true fire to learn.
walker boys
It is not that I find the workflow so such much better then working on A8-projects... but as a harmless non programer, only a bloody scripter you can only publish for pc. Since I played the adventure Hetor , I think it is simply a key feature to have the possibility to publish on other platforms by just pressing on button.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de