by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (M_D, AndrewAMD, Quad, Ayumi), 806 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30
Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: Quad] #355610
01/28/11 10:43
01/28/11 10:43
Germany
Clemens Offline
Clemens  Offline

Germany
Bug at start! If the windows menu popup with its buttons you've to click for start playing -> my mouse getting crazy and move at it own fast over the screen to the up-left ... so it's difficult to click the buttons (don't have the time for trying) ... I've to close the prog per ctr-alt-del -> then the mouse bug stops.

Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: Roel] #355654
01/28/11 14:18
01/28/11 14:18
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Wow, what a rough start! frown Okay...
Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
getting count down then blank terrain in offline mode. no cars etc.
That's troubling -- I thought inclusion of "D3DCompiler_42.dll" was meant to prevent that. Updating DirectX fixed it for others, but it's a shame it needs that. If anyone has some advice that'd be much appreciated.
Originally Posted By: Superku
I've tried it again: The game crashes when I open the lobby.
Bugger. I can't reproduce it here. The lobby seems to work fine on my end. Does the crash come with any error messages? I remember having inexplicable crashes a long time ago while testing the lobby, and they didn't happen if I logged into the website first (don't ask me why). But that hasn't happened in a long time, for me.
Originally Posted By: Clemens
Bug at start! If the windows menu popup with its buttons you've to click for start playing -> my mouse getting crazy and move at it own fast over the screen to the up-left ... so it's difficult to click the buttons (don't have the time for trying) ... I've to close the prog per ctr-alt-del -> then the mouse bug stops.
I'm not sure I fully understand you, but you're saying that when you start the game the mouse goes crazy? Do you have any gamepads/joysticks plugged in? If so, one of them can control the mouse, and it might be what's giving you trouble.
Originally Posted By: GorNaKosh
Same problem over here. The exe crashes if I try to open the lobby screen.

Quote:
It would be nice if the game saved the login information (check a box first).
Changing the textfield pressing TAB and login with ENTER, would be nice, too.
Yes, that makes sense. Same question to you, though: any error messages with the lobby-screen crash?
Originally Posted By: Roel
Great to see a new release! laugh

The lobby doesn't always crash, I could connect to my own server.
Saving login information would be great, as GorNaKosh said.

some little suggestions:
The game doesn't show up in the taskbar until I moved it around.
I succeeded to log in 3 times... maybe it is a good thing to prevent this in later releases(to prevent account sharing) grin
for testing it might be an idea to lower the fps_max variable, so multiple clients can run smooth on a single computer.
It is not important, but you could hide the "login succeeded" bar after a few seconds.
Yeah, I have a system in place for preventing the same user from being online on multiple computers, but have it disabled for now. In regards to the taskbar icon -- I don't really know what to do about that frown I have been having that issue as well for a couple of versions now.

EDIT: Yeah, you're right, "login succeeded" should go away on its own. I'll probably change my alert function to have an optional timer, so that unimportant alerts go away on their own, while important ones (like login failed) stay up until closed.

I've got a server up now, and it should be up for most of the day, so please try and join and let me know how that goes. I really want to get this working!

Thanks everyone laugh

Jibb

EDIT2: Apparently someone tried to connect to my server and failed? I've set up port-forwarding. I think. I don't really know how to test it.

Last edited by JulzMighty; 01/28/11 14:41.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: JibbSmart] #355662
01/28/11 14:40
01/28/11 14:40
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
The lobby does not seem to crash when there's at least one server available.
I click on "HostbyJibb", wait 5+ seconds but then the game crashes again. It's a regular Windows (XP) error message telling me that some "read" instruction on a memory address could not be performed.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: Superku] #355667
01/28/11 14:46
01/28/11 14:46
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Thanks for trying -- my server was informed of trouble connecting (I'm still using 0.2 to make sure everything's compatible, but the online database indicated as such), and so even though the program failed on your end it still managed to send off a message that it couldn't connect. The thing is, I've tested what happens in that situation (I thought), and don't get any such errors. I wish it would work the same on other peoples' PCs as it does on mine frown

When I start it, the lobby doesn't crash even if there are no servers available, so I really have no idea what's going on.

Any ideas as to how I can confirm whether or not I've set up port-forwarding correctly?

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: JibbSmart] #355744
01/28/11 17:31
01/28/11 17:31
Flevoland, 5 meters under wate...
Roel Offline
Roel  Offline

Flevoland, 5 meters under wate...
It will be a good thing if you added all keyboard characters in the password... ingame.
at this moment when people register at the website, they can use characters like
{}[] etc, but ingame they don't work, so they can't make the password they created.
I hope you get the message out of my gibberish!

Last edited by Roel; 01/28/11 17:31.

Check out the throwing game here: The throwing game
Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: Roel] #355746
01/28/11 17:33
01/28/11 17:33
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Ah! Thank you. I'll make sure that works in the next update.

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: JibbSmart] #355764
01/28/11 19:07
01/28/11 19:07
Germany
Clemens Offline
Clemens  Offline

Germany
Quote:

I'm not sure I fully understand you, but you're saying that when you start the game the mouse goes crazy? Do you have any gamepads/joysticks plugged in? If so, one of them can control the mouse, and it might be what's giving you trouble.

It was a stupid report from me, because it was obvious that it depends on my system and drivers or what ever (the bug appeared in the menu) ... I've really no idea, why this happened with your program - but when I tried it again now, it worked wink

Nice game

Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: Quad] #355773
01/28/11 20:01
01/28/11 20:01
Deutschland/Niedersachsen
GorNaKosh Offline
GorNaKosh  Offline

Deutschland/Niedersachsen
Seems to depend on the OS. The crash I reported was a normal windows crash (send message to windows bla). This error ocurred while using windows XP. If using my own Windows Vista machine everything seems to be fine. I can open up the lobby and host a server. But there was no other server for testing the join function.

Hope you get it work! wink

Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: GorNaKosh] #355777
01/28/11 20:12
01/28/11 20:12
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Quote:
This error ocurred while using windows XP

@Julz: As a reminder, I'm using XP, too.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: KarBOOM Online released! [Re: Superku] #355786
01/28/11 20:43
01/28/11 20:43
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Thanks guys. There's a lot of stuff to fix. As for the crash, I think it has something to with me using sys_free incorrectly somewhere, given the situations that crash. I've got ideas to change the lobby-creation function to be faster and safer (although, I really do try and use memory allocation functions safely!).

Here's the current TODO list for 0.2.1:
  • Lobby crash -- simplifying the system should hopefully stop the crashes XP users are experiencing.
  • Chat bug -- incoming messages interfere with host's chat bar.
  • F5 for bigger window -- I like keeping KarBOOM windowed for now, but I'll at least let you toggle between 800x600 and 1024x768.
  • Smoother play -- lag is ridiculously bad for the cars you own. Just awful. I have some tricks in mind to fix that.
  • Input fixes -- German keyboard support (must be a nightmare for those of you trying to put in passwords [which are hidden] on a German keyboard!); username and password input support the full range of characters that are accepted by the registration process.
  • More helpful interface -- See the max players, current players, who's online, your latency...
  • Camera tweaks -- Camera zooms in too fast for comfort, at the moment.
  • EDIT: Safer lobby navigation to prevent race conditions.
  • EDIT2: Servers are informed when players are having trouble connecting.

Thanks to those of you who helped me test it out and offered suggestions and bug reports! So far I've been able to play with Superku, Roel, and SchokoKeks -- special thanks to Superku, who spent quite a bit of time online helping me test stuff. But also thanks to those I haven't been able to play with yet, but have continued to give me feedback here laugh

I'm really glad for everyone's help, and so relieved that I didn't try and announce 0.2 everywhere -- it would've been a really bad start for KarBOOM Online!

0.2.1 will hopefully be out by the weekend's end.

Jibb

Last edited by JulzMighty; 01/31/11 21:26.

I made KarBOOM!
Page 11 of 30 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 29 30

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de