by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (degenerate_762), 1,098 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Nintendo Wii/DS and Adventure Games [Re: PrenceOfDarkness] #35022
02/14/07 13:58
02/14/07 13:58
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Can Nintendo Breathe New Life into Adventure Games?

Quote:

Despite this seemingly hostile climate, there is a ray of hope. A rapidly growing movement - plainly visible on sites like Adventure Gamers and in the sales figures of games like Phoenix Wright - is throwing their support behind Nintendo to get the ball back into the adventure gamer’s court.

How to Get Unstuck in an Adventure Game

Quote:

Adventure games at their best, and even sometimes at their worst, are the closest thing we have to virtual reality. You can truly feel like you’ve entered another world, and that your actions there have consequences. The trouble is, the more imbedded in the game world you get, the more of a jolt it is when you get stuck and all comes crashing to a stop. A walkthrough will get you going again, but by then, it seems to me, the illusion is broken. It’s no longer adventurous when you know what’s coming.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Grim Fandango Marathon [Re: Orange Brat] #35023
02/22/07 02:12
02/22/07 02:12
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Grim Fandango marathon

This is a 15-part video series. Watch one of the most well designed and best games ever made played from beginning to end.

On a side note, the way the eyes/mouth/jaw are done is the technique that will be used in my own title.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Grim Fandango Marathon [Re: Orange Brat] #35024
02/22/07 02:19
02/22/07 02:19
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Lol, omg the walking sticks I remember, so awesome .. Thanks for the link man,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
The Power of the Press [Re: PHeMoX] #35025
03/01/07 07:09
03/01/07 07:09
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

The Power of the Press

Quote:

Sadly, the power of the gaming press is not always so illusory. The "Death of Adventure Games" mantra gained wide currency amongst reviewers for many of the multi-genre gaming magazines and websites, and is still trotted out occasionally by the ill-informed. How much influence this pronouncement has had on publishers is, perhaps, debatable, but it is no thanks to such reviews that adventures are still being made.

Quote:

It's the gameplay elements of each genre that appeals to the players and brings them back for more. These gameplay elements then 'define' the genre. Therefore it is important that the reviewer has played sufficient games of a particular type in order to write about them in a knowledgeable way. Conversely, it's not possible to fairly review a game unless you are familiar with the genre or game type to which it belongs.

This underlines the importance of the reviewer being someone who understands and likes the genre and wants to see the quality continue to improve. Unfortunately, too many of the reviews of adventure games in magazines and on multi-genre sites are written by those who actively dislike the genre and are openly hostile or ambivalent towards it. Often such reviews fail to critique adventure games for what they are, but rather criticise them for what they are not (eg other genres, as in "this game is boring it has no fighting in it"). Such generally destructive reviews serve no useful purpose as they mainly focus on the perceived shortcomings of the genre rather than the merits of the particular game under review. It's the equivalent of saying "This genre sux".

John Green Art [Re: Orange Brat] #35026
04/03/07 17:12
04/03/07 17:12
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

John Green Art: Technique Behind Nearly Departed

Quote:

John Green, creator of the Lassie game Nearly Departed, has been receiving international attention for his revival of the classic adventure game in full 2D glory. Much praise and discussion has been devoted to exceptional art style, which has become his trademark. So, this month I asked John for an interview to get some insight on his artistic process. He was kind enough to give us some answers and provide some process illustrations of how his work develops. Thanks John!

Mythology and Game Design

Grumpy Gamer and Maniac Mansion [Re: Orange Brat] #35027
04/14/07 00:33
04/14/07 00:33
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Grumpy Gamer reminisces about Maniac Mansion.

Quote:

David Fox forwarded me a link to Maniac Mansion being played through in nine minutes. This is about 2 hours and 27 minutes faster than I could do it.

I found it fascinating to watch this video. It's was like thumbing through an old family album of childhood photos. Memories long forgotten are jarred to the surface by the smallest of details. An old and forgotten toy. The front grill of your fathers car. Things you could never have remembered if you tried become so clear they could have happened yesterday.

Interview with writer Lee Sheldon

Quote:

Lee Sheldon is an award winning writer and a triple threat in the truest sense. His past and current works span across television, books, and video games. As a scriptwriter, his television credits include (amongst others) Charlie’s Angels, Quincy, Cagney & Lacey, Edge of Night, Snoops, Another World, and even Star Trek: The Next Generation. As a book author, his works include the fiction novel Impossible Bliss and the reference text Character Development and Storytelling for Games that is part of the Course PTR Game Development Series. As a game designer, however, Sheldon is best known to adventure fans for his works in Ripley’s Believe it or Not!: The Riddle of Master Lu, Dark Side of the Moon, Wild Wild West: The Steel Assassin, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, and many others.

Most recently, Sheldon has been recruited by The Adventure Company to design an adventure game series based on the licensed works of Agatha Christie. Today, the games Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None and Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express have been published and are well received by both fans and critics. We are extremely privileged to have the opportunity to interview this media legend. In the interview, Sheldon speaks of his works in television, his philosophy in game design, the challenges of adapting the Agatha Christie novels into adventure games, his other current projects, and what holds for him in the future.

Interview with Al Lowe

Quote:

We had the great opportunity to talk to Al Lowe, the father of Leisure Suit Larry and Freddy Pharkas - if you've ever laughed when playing a computer game, chances are good, the game was made by him.

Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 1 [Re: Orange Brat] #35028
05/16/07 15:34
05/16/07 15:34
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 1

Quote:

I have started a brand new project: a twisted fantasy adventure called Chivalry is Not Dead.

This series of articles will serve as a chronicle of my quest in developing Chivalry, taking you behind the scenes of its design, production, and eventually, testing and release. If you yourself are at all involved or hoping to be involved with amateur adventure development, I hope you'll find something of use in my methods; otherwise, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Okay So Far

Quote:

With the first Half-life game there was already a sense of humor. With Half-life 2 they have reached back to the adventure games and put much more emphasis on story. It has believable dialogue and an engaging plot. It’s still a shooter but it’s a start. Keeping the action going and unfolding a well-constructed story at the same time is no mean feat with a user running around loose in there.

Re: Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 1 [Re: Orange Brat] #35029
05/16/07 16:57
05/16/07 16:57
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Quote:

Naivety is the key. It’s like a fountain of youth. It’s what keeps you open to pursue something out of pure curiosity to find the magic in something new.

As strange as it may sound I don’t believe naivety is exclusively the domain of the uninitiated. In the same way that any skill can be cultivated I believe that this way of looking at the work can be enhanced. I believe it’s at the hart of creativity and invention.

Thank you for the link Orange Brat!

Re: Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 1 [Re: Pappenheimer] #35030
05/17/07 09:00
05/17/07 09:00
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

No problem. I think the original Adv. Architectc series is still going to continue along with this new one. The guy who is developing that title took a couple years off because of his job, but he's started up production again and mentioned a pending entry of the article. Here's the game's site. The character sprites have been updated since he re-started. They're a bit more animeish or stylized might be a better word:

http://rattlesnakejake.com/

Jane Jensen interview [Re: Orange Brat] #35031
05/18/07 10:06
05/18/07 10:06
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Jane Jensen interview

Quote:

Today's Playing Catch-Up, a weekly column that dares to speak to notable video game industry figures about their celebrated pasts and promising futures, speaks to Jane Jensen, creator and designer of Sierra’s Gabriel Knight series of adventure games, and co-founder of casual games publisher Oberon.

Will Binder interview

Quote:

As the creative figure in the director’s chair for the groundbreaking adventure Gabriel Knight II (also known as The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery), Will Binder is the unequivocal master of game directing. His credits in Hollywood include work on “Scent of a Woman” and “Greedy”. Co-working with game designer Jane Jensen and directing the talents of Dean Ericksen, Joanne Takahashi, and the remaining cast of Gabriel Knight II, Binder has shown a remarkable ability to create exactly the right ambience for this much loved game. At the heart of his directing lies the same love of a great story that typifies the storyteller, and that is perhaps how we can best understand Binder—as a storyteller whose words are painted in the visual canvas. We are honoured to have the opportunity to interview him. In this interview, we discuss with him the technical behind the scenes magic of Gabriel Knight II, learn that he is also a gifted oil painter, and discover some exclusive snippets about his future scripts and projects.

Why Writing in Games Matters - Part 1

Quote:

This scene sent chills down my spine. The human race has become a collection of cattle, shoved into the ghettos to be controlled and handled. It was a terrifying portrait of lost humanity; we didn't even have the ability to create new life. That chill I felt wasn't created by the graphics: the writing did it.

Half-Life 2 is loaded with powerful moments like this, and the writing worked with the technology to make the game a modern classic. Bad writing could have turned the same game into a B-novel of the ripest variety. But the very success of the game points up the weakness of game writing in general, and it begs the question: why don't we have more examples of scenes like this? What, exactly, is the problem?

Why Writing in Games Matters - Part 2

Quote:

Great writing comes from converting the energy of experience into product, and there is far more vitality in scouring the world at large for source than relying on someone else's pre-chewed, pre-digested output. Creating an open experience, a fully interactive and enriched game experience, is new and scarcely-plundered territory for gamers, but we need to pursue it in order to avoid the mainstream Michael Bay effect that diminishes story as productions chase the wallets of the lowest common denominator.

Ian's piece is certainly an interesting look at what an industry veteran thinks about how to improve the writing in games. One thing everyone agrees on is that this isn't easy to do, and will mostly likely be a gradual process as people work through the problems, both financial and creative, to making gaming an art form with story and characters just as good as those in movies, television, or even novels.

Next week we'll hear from someone who makes her living writing games and deals with these problems every day. Stay tuned.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de