by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Quad, TipmyPip, degenerate_762, AndrewAMD, Nymphodora), 997 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? [Re: Damocles] #35012
11/04/06 05:18
11/04/06 05:18
Toronto
MadMark Offline
User
MadMark  Offline
User

Toronto
I think that the question itself, and none of the answers provided, is wrong.

Today, it is more than the eye-candy that makes a game immersive, interesting and attractive. There is more and more focus placed on other areas to deliver the target for any good story, game, or movie.

I consider the suspension of disbelief to be the most imporant factor.

Graphics are a portion of the disbelief equation, and often the first item that gets noticed, but they are not the complete answer. Physics is being adopted in many shapes and forms, from collision detection and reactive materials, to ragdoll and blended animations. As techniques in these areas are refined and improved, so will their ability to immerse the player into the plot and aid in suspending belief. Storylines themsleves are important, and the most often poorly planned and executed portion of a game. Sure, it's fun to blast away at blocky Doom models, and to WoW at the latest ultar-uber-shaded water droplet animation, but that is a distraction from why we paid to come to the circus. Innovative UI's are another area that impacts the suspension of disbelief. If it's in the way, feels un-natural, or just detracts from the feeling of "being there", it can change an otherwise great experience into disappointment.

Character interaction is also pivotal. How many times are you going to visit an NPC player to chat if all he can say is "Wha?" "Job's Done." "Okay." Now if that same NPC could actually conjugate a verb, pick out keywords, reply with useful information, now that is interesting. Wonder what he will say next time when you mention the cloak of hiding that you noticed over in house #2...

Is photo-realism the right direction for games? Yes, for some. Is planning, testing and implementation towards suspension of disbelief the right direction? Almost always.

Just my 2¢.
You are now returned to your regular chaos and mayhem. Proceed.
Mark

People who live in glass houses shouldn't vacuum naked.
Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? [Re: Ichiro] #35013
11/04/06 17:12
11/04/06 17:12
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

I think it's that "wow" factor -- not the aesthetic, itself -- that people are looking for.

Yes, but somehow practically all of the demoscene demos have this wow factor. It's because they use their (artistic) creativity in the right places to create a real style. Every game should have a style, there are lot's and lot's of games that lack style all together. -Not saying getting a style just right is easy, but looking at the demoscene, even small (one man) teams should be able to achieve a style with a wow factor.-

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? [Re: PHeMoX] #35014
11/05/06 09:30
11/05/06 09:30
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
The market for computer and video games gets more and more saturated. Because of that there is no question that a game must have both: attractive visuals and attractive game-play. Photo-realism helps with the visual part.

It can be another style for sure. But look at the sales in the last years. Good games with style and game-play (like Outcast, Beyond Good and Evil) that differ in it's style do not have best sales. Mainstream realistic looks that approximates photo-realism sell better.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #35015
11/09/06 12:30
11/09/06 12:30
TheExpert Offline
Senior Developer
TheExpert  Offline
Senior Developer

There are some exceptions

let's wait Zelda Twilight princess on WII with the characters with some manga
style : not photorealism and sure it will sell like hell

Is Flash the Future of the Adventure Game? [Re: TheExpert] #35016
11/11/06 09:22
11/11/06 09:22
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

Is Flash the Future of the Adventure Game?

Quote:

Adventure game fans, on the other hand, have adapted to pretty much every gaming system that has come along. Why is the adventure game so adaptable? In part, because it has to be to survive, but also because it's based on a very simple, yet powerful idea. It's a treasure hunt. It's an irresistible (well, to fans at least) combination of story and puzzle-solving. Of course, the FPS is based on an even simpler concept kill everything in sight. But the FPS depends on great visuals. It's difficult to shoot something you can't see.

The Gamasutra Quantum Leap Awards: Storytelling

Quote:

In October 2006, the editors of Gamasutra asked its readership of game industry professionals to chime in and vote for which game brought storytelling forward in the biggest way, from any genre (text adventure through action title to RPG or sim and beyond), and from the early days of video gaming right through to the present day. We were looking for any game which in some way moved, astounded, or engrossed the player through its plot and the way the game evolves through it - and has specifically advanced game storytelling in the largest way. Specifically, we asked:

"Which video game has made the biggest 'quantum leap' in terms of storytelling, and why?"

On the following pages, we'll first present the "honorable mentions" - games that, while certainly innovative and important, did not receive enough votes to make it into the top echelon.

Following this, we'll present the top five best storytellers voted for by our readers, in reverse order, ending with the overall recipient of Gamasutra's third Quantum Leap Award, which received the largest amount of votes from game professionals.

Quote:

Honorable Mentions:
The Sims
System Shock(Series)
Marathon
Baldur's Gate 2
Jade Empire
Gabriel Knight(Series)
A Mind Forever Voyaging
Zelda II
Xenogears
Torment
Fallout
Façade
Dreamfall
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

#5. Grim Fandango
#4. Starcraft
#3. Final Fantasy VII
#2. Half-Life
#1. Deux Ex

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Is Flash the Future of the Adventure Game? [Re: Orange Brat] #35017
12/03/06 16:30
12/03/06 16:30
Scotland, UK
J
JamesA Offline
JamesA  Offline
J

Scotland, UK
No one has mentioned graphic novels (I think), style here mainly stuck from printing processes.
Graphic Novels spanning the globe, touch on serious to more comical subjects.

They are often in the line style.
So what better idea to have especially for small companies making games to be able to adopt a style not quite so realistic if they want to.
While the timescales and budget may not be there to implement the latest HDR etc etc, a good adventure game on a budget surely could rely on good 3D level design while at the same time less cutting edge technology, which doesnt mean compromising on the artistic credebility?

I am starting out on an a 3D adventure game, depending on if I can push it towards a full game or just another walkaround tech demo. It will be in the style I want.

I agree the latest wow stuff can look good but a workaround for smaller companies or even individuals making an adventure game surely need not put them off from making something they want to and that will be profitble enough for them?......

Comics are a good example of this.....I would recomend the books by Scott Mac Cloud if not read already.....a lot in his books can be applied to all forms of creative story telling work including games I beleive....

Re: Is Flash the Future of the Adventure Game? [Re: Orange Brat] #35018
12/08/06 21:47
12/08/06 21:47
Toronto
MadMark Offline
User
MadMark  Offline
User

Toronto
Orange Brat: Do you actually READ all of these articles? Where do you get all of the time? And does your employer know?!! (Writing this from work on my delayed lunch break as I clean up my desk to go home!)

Good articles, keep 'em coming!

Cheers!
Mark

People who live in glass houses shouldn't vacuum naked.
Game Quest book review [Re: MadMark] #35019
12/08/06 21:50
12/08/06 21:50
O
Orange Brat Offline OP

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline OP

Senior Expert
O

I've read them all, and I post the ones that most suit the thread when I come across them. A lot of them come from dedicated adventure site links, and I've been finding some on Gamasutra now and again. I try to keep it adventure related, but some feature crossover.

Game Quest book review

Quote:

Game Quest follows the doomed final years of Madre Entertainment, a homegrown software company nestled in the Sierra Madre mountains. The discerning adventure gamer will recognize dozens of links between the fictional Madre and real life Sierra.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Game Quest book review [Re: Orange Brat] #35020
12/10/06 21:17
12/10/06 21:17
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Aaw man, I'm getting emotional lol ... Sierra used to be great when it comes to adventure games, infact they invented it more or less. But that reminds me off Lucasarts golden years too.

Damn! I want Fullthrottle 2 !! (the new Sam & Max game is pretty okey by the way! )

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: The Fear Factor: Horror Game Design 101 [Re: Orange Brat] #35021
12/20/06 08:19
12/20/06 08:19
New York
PrenceOfDarkness Offline
Serious User
PrenceOfDarkness  Offline
Serious User

New York
some of the best articals i've ever read, thank u!

"There is no problem that can't be solved with time and determination." -me
prenceofdarkness for instant messages on AIM.

Looking for a model designer
PLEASE, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE OR EMAIL IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de