by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (degenerate_762, Nymphodora), 1,012 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30
KarBOOM #345808
10/29/10 20:57
10/29/10 20:57
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
G'day!

I've decided to put out my game in its current state. There's detailed information on my website and older announcements go into some other details, but the most important stuff is here.

Download it from here: 7 megabytes.

EDIT: Or download the latest version 0.1.1 here:
6 megabytes

Watch darkinferno's video of some 2-player gameplay!

What does it look like?

How do I play it?

To start, activate each car you want to play by clicking on the coloured buttons in the menu. The controls for each car can be found and changed in the controls menu. If you're using XBox 360 gamepads (which I highly recommend), you steer with the left analog stick, accelerate and brake/reverse with the right and left triggers (respectively) or the A and X buttons (also respectively). The B button handbrakes (as does pressing A and X simultaneously, or pressing the forward and back keys simultaneously if you're using the keyboard). The start button pauses or unpauses the game. I imagine (and hope) it'd work similarly on other gamepads, but I only have XBox 360 pads. In future I hope to support as many gamepads as you can plug in to your PC.

Pause the game at any time with the ESC key (it can also be used to unpause from the main menu). The menu can be navigated with the mouse.

If you're using the keyboard to control several cars at once, you'll probably encounter key jamming. This is where only a few key-presses can be detected at any one time, so your car might not respond to some input while other players are using the same keyboard. There's nothing I can do about this. This problem depends entirely on the keyboard. If you're into PC gaming I strongly recommend getting one or more gamepads for PC. I've been a gamer for as long as I can remember, but never used a gamepad on PC until the beginning of this week for this game. My brothers and I have been using them for this game and others we already owned, and basically it is much better than mouse and keyboard for many types of games. Obviously if all you play is shooters or strategy games you'll have no need for a gamepad.

What are the rules?

Stay in the dirt patch. If you go out of bounds you'll begin to glow and expand, giving you a brief opportunity to get back in the ring before you explode. If you explode without bumping into any other cars you'll lose 5 points. If you bump into someone else before they explode you'll gain 10 points. The game currently has no victory conditions, but in the near future I hope to give the option of choosing Time Limit, Score Limit, Life Limit, and Survival to determine a winner in each round.

My brothers and I generally just say "First to 200!" and then when we get there we set a new limit and keep on going.

What are the mutators?

They add twists to the rules. They all stack. At the moment there are only two, but I plan on adding more soon. We have:
  • sapoi -- from the Fijian name for "Rock Paper Scissors". In this mode, each car is strong against one car and weak against another. This mutator is only active when there are three players. Each player has a ring around their car pointing towards their target and showing the colour of their target. Each car can smash their target easily, but will bounce off the other car with little effect. Basically everyone's chasing someone and running from someone else. It can get confusing, but just remember who your target is and focus on them.
  • tag -- when this mutator is first activated nothing appears to have changed. However, as soon as someone is forced out of the ring they become "it". Once that happens, everyone who is not "it" gains one point to their score every second. The person who's "it" needs to try and make someone else "it" instead, and does this by forcing them out of the ring, or simply making contact with them. The person who is "it" flashes and has a ring around them so everyone knows who to avoid. This can be played with any number of players.

What is replay?

From the pause menu you can hit "replay" to see a replay of the last 5 or so minutes of gameplay. Unfortunately it does not keep track of mutators, so while the score and outcome of all collisions will still work fine, there'll be no visual indication of who is "it" in tag, or who dominates who in sapoi. In future you'll be able to move forward and backward through the replay as you please, and hopefully be able to save your replays to view again later. The replay can be cancelled with the ESC key.

Why is the menu laid out as it is?

I kind of made it up as I went. It'll be cleaned up soon enough, but I really wanted to release the game today.

Why do some of the sound effects really suck?

I recorded some of the sounds in a rush today while trying to prepare the game for its first release. Some of them are placeholders. Some of them will probably stay as they are.

Why is the game so empty?

I think you get the idea. Work in progress.

What does the future of this game look like?

Here's a brief (and probably incomplete) summary of the things on my to-do list (in no particular order).
  • Online multiplayer.
  • Replay editor.
  • Improved visuals.
  • Improved sound effects.
  • Music.
  • Graphics options to accommodate for older PCs.
  • Unlimited offline multiplayer (up to four keyboard players + as many gamepads as you can fit in your PC).
  • Victory conditions. added in 0.1.1.
  • More mutators.
  • More levels.
  • Racing mode.

Known bugs.
  • Due to a bug with ISOMETRIC views, the particle shadows are the wrong size when the camera gets closer. This has been fixed but isn't in a public version of the engine yet, so I can't do anything about it.
  • Replay sometimes misses an explosion or sound effect. This rarely happens, and I have a pretty good idea as to why this happens. -- fixed in 0.1.1
  • Won't work on some peoples' computers.

I hope you enjoy this game and get involved as much as you can by giving me feedback and suggestions laugh

Jibb

EDIT: Post updated to include a link to the latest version, KarBOOM 0.1.1, changes to the bug list, and changes to the to-do list.

Last edited by JulzMighty; 11/05/10 17:37.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Car Game LOL v0.1 [Re: JibbSmart] #345811
10/29/10 22:10
10/29/10 22:10
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
cool game!
but you should smooth the controls a little!
it was really hard to play it.
but in fact a cool game idea and good graphics!
i like it!

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: Car Game LOL v0.1 [Re: MasterQ32] #345816
10/30/10 01:52
10/30/10 01:52
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
nice game, love the features you have planned.. what are you gonna use for the mp? anet? oh i guess your probably using A8 hence the stable physics

Re: Car Game LOL v0.1 [Re: darkinferno] #345817
10/30/10 02:56
10/30/10 02:56
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Thanks guys laugh
Quote:
oh i guess your probably using A8 hence the stable physics
I'll take that as a compliment to my programming tongue I do use A8, but no physics engine. I wrote the physics with the replay editor and online multiplayer in mind in good old-fashioned Lite-C. It's very simple physics but I believe it does the job. I'm going to stick with A8's network functions for setting up the online multiplayer, but more just to send my own information (rather than letting A8 automatically update entities or anything). I have a few reasons for this -- one is that I just like programming things my way (like with the physics), and other reasons will hopefully reveal themselves down the road.

I forgot to mention that I have absolutely no idea what to call this game -- I don't actually want to call it "Car Game LOL". Suggestions are welcome if you don't mind donating ideas. I was thinking since "Minecraft" comes from "mining" and "crafting", which is what the game is all about, I should call my game "DriveExplode" tongue

I also forgot to mention that while I want to get all those things done eventually, the order in which I do them will depend largely on what its players want. So what would you guys like to see done first?

EDIT: I'm thinking victory conditions first, as being able to define rounds of gameplay would be very advantageous for online multiplayer; followed perhaps by unlimited players, simply because replay mode and the HUD will need some extra work on it to accommodate for arbitrary player counts. But I'd like everyones thoughts on this, and I'd like to hear what people are most eager to get their hands on!

Jibb

Last edited by JulzMighty; 10/30/10 03:16.

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Car Game LOL v0.1 [Re: JibbSmart] #345824
10/30/10 10:50
10/30/10 10:50
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
i think you could actually do more than just some circle, maybe even some small lap based racetracks.. or even some first to the finish style tracks..

@physics: ahh they did feel a little scripted, i was running to into cars to see how they react but i guess the suspension and amazing thing you did with the movement fooled me, amazing meaning, how the car skids if you keep turning and lose grip.. good job man, feels flawless..

@replay: am impressed with this the most, simply because i wanted to do my own but dropped the idea after not being able to think up a way to save particles, physics and other player positions.. though i guess there must be a way, will look into it again

@name: something simple indeed:
-boom racer, carBlast, carBump, [too lazy to think up more atm]

Re: Car Game LOL v0.1 [Re: darkinferno] #345827
10/30/10 12:44
10/30/10 12:44
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Ah yes, more interesting levels would be good. I was thinking that in future it could have Mashed-style racing -- the camera follows the whole pack around a decent-sized race-track, and if you fall too far behind you get kicked out. More levels and a racing mode have been added to my to-do list.

Of course, this will require a lot of work, since a decent sized racetrack should be much more complex than an arena. Also because I currently only do physics in 2D blush But that'll change. I don't mind a lot of work. And I've always enjoyed physics programming.

For replay mode I currently have an array of "states" -- a state is relatively simple since there can't be more than 4 cars at the moment, and each one is fairly basic. The states contain as little information as possible to replicate the current state of the game. Each "replay car" is a new entity (the actual cars are hidden) with its own action to kick up dust when it's losing grip, to rev the engine depending on its speed and the recorded input of the player, to align and rotate its wheels appropriately, to lean in the right direction according to changes in its velocity, and to glow and expand when it is out of bounds.

Each state also contains the time at which it was created. Playing back a replay involves incrementing a replay timer, and moving through the array until we're sitting between the state that should occur before this time and the state that should occur afterwards. Then it's just a matter of simple interpolation. States are automatically recorded every 16th of a second when the game is unpaused, with additional states inserted to make sure collisions are always perfectly replicated and explosions are never missed. Since it's simply a matter of interpolation between two states, I could very easily have an interface to scrub forward and back through the replay arbitrarily, although during backwards play I wouldn't want to create particles, nor play the same sounds.

These game-states will be the basis for my online multiplayer, although they'll be even further simplified, sent on a less regular basis, and I'll have to use some smart extrapolation rather than simple interpolation.

Thanks for the feedback laugh

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Car Game LOL v0.1 [Re: darkinferno] #345828
10/30/10 12:49
10/30/10 12:49
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
Just played for almost an hour, loved it. 2-Players first, then 3-Players, we couldn't stop laughing.

Great game!
As for the Internet multiplayer part, I'm not sure I like the idea. I think you'll manage to make the movement lag-free and fun, but I believe this game lives from the "we're all on the same keyboard and we can hear each other laughing"-feel. Dunno, might be wrong.

Can you make the shockwave that pushes other people when your car gets removed about as large as the shockwave that actually pushes people? Right now, the visuel-effect is much smaller than the physics-effect. So you don't see the
dust hitting you, but you still get pushed, it felt "wrong" at first.

Otherwise no negative criticism. I simply loved the game.

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: Car Game LOL v0.1 [Re: Germanunkol] #345897
10/30/10 17:02
10/30/10 17:02
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
grin Thanks Germanunkol! That kinda response makes me feel really happy grin

In regards to the online multiplayer: For one thing I want this game to accommodate for people who aren't likely to have other people around playing the game at home. I personally think offline multiplayer always trumps online, but some people don't, and I want to include them.

Secondly, I think it'd be really cool to have offline-online hybrid multiplayer, especially if there are team game modes. So imagine you and two or three friends around your computer all participating in the same online game. Even better, competing as a team against another bunch of people sharing a computer somewhere else in the world. Perhaps I should give hosts the option to limit how many players are on each computer, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

In regards to the shockwave: That makes sense. The actual shockwave doesn't have a size -- the force is applied to every car and the magnitude of the force is inversely proportional to the square of the car's distance from the explosion. But I can certainly make the size of the shockwave bigger to line up with what actually appears to happen.

Jibb

EDIT: CarBOOM? Like, a play on the onomatopoeia "KABOOM!"
EDIT2: MotoSumo/AutoSumo?

Last edited by JulzMighty; 10/30/10 19:18. Reason: Name idea?

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Car Game LOL v0.1 [Re: JibbSmart] #345946
10/30/10 19:43
10/30/10 19:43
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
prefer KarBooM ^ ^ and i like the multiple users to a pc online multiplayer, i planned to do it one day, should be fun, guess i'll look into a replay thing for my game too thought its a bit more tricky, lol alot more going on ^^

Re: Car Game LOL v0.1 [Re: darkinferno] #346018
10/31/10 14:21
10/31/10 14:21
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
just wanted to post this vid for those to lazy to download and look at it, maybe you could add it to your first post julz? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWmmwxgG3ZA

if you wanna edit the info i wrote on the vid and/or remove the vid for whatever reason, lemme know...

-good coding

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de