Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Blobsculptor tools and objects download here
by NeoDumont. 03/28/24 03:01
Issue with Multi-Core WFO Training
by aliswee. 03/24/24 20:20
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by Edgar_Herrera. 03/23/24 21:41
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 03/06/24 09:27
VSCode instead of SED
by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, monk12, TipmyPip, Quad, aliswee), 1,029 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #333504
07/16/10 20:19
07/16/10 20:19
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
... Anyway.

Quote:
"Did you notice that the use of all of our newest inventions don't seem to coincide with any of these things?"
No, I didn't. In fact, I noticed that the number of cars, factories etc. went up and so did the CO2 levels and the temperature.

What you said just there doesn't even make sense. Just because something happens and another thing happens after it doesn't mean the first occurrence caused the second occurrence. You're just arguing with the statistics now.

Let me simplify it for you:

-In the early 1900's, a steady increase in temperature began.

-In the 1930's, technology took off and people started driving cars, creating coal power plants, etc. Carbon emissions went up.

-We know that CO2 traps heat. So more CO2 will cause the temperature to rise even faster, right?

-We refer back to the graph. The temperature has increased since the 1930's! However, the RATE of the increase of temperature did NOT go up.

We know that more CO2 would've caused the rate of the increase of temperature to go up. So the temperature should've been higher than it is if the CO2 we have been emitting has taken any effect. But it's not. What does this tell us? It tells us that the amount of CO2 we've been emitting is not enough to have any significant impact on the rate of the increase of temperature on the earth.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say? Yes, the earth has gotten warmer. Yes, we've been emitting CO2. But that CO2 is not what is creating the rise in temperature. There's just not enough of it to have an impact. The higher temperatures are being created through natural forces, and we shouldn't try to stop them. Eventually, the system will correct itself and the temperature will lower again.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: Redeemer] #333507
07/16/10 20:33
07/16/10 20:33
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

uhm... you are aware that the industrial revolution did start before 1930, right? tongue

Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #333517
07/16/10 22:04
07/16/10 22:04
UK,Terra, SolarSystem, Milky W...
pararealist Offline
pararealist  Offline

@ Why_Do_I_Die
At least you seem to be aware.
BUT, it makes no sense to be rude to others, especially when they need to see what you see, in fact it will turn them away from what you have to say.
Just say what you have to say, and leave it at that.
People travel this path of life in their own time, and those who are ready for what you say, will at least start to think about it, those who are not, will not be convinced by any rudeness or anger.
So just give the info, that is what makes the world(people) change, little by little.

A8.3x Commercial, AcknexWrapper and VS 2010 Express
○pararealist now.
Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: pararealist] #333563
07/17/10 07:12
07/17/10 07:12
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: pararealist
So just give the info, that is what makes the world(people) change, little by little.

I wonder what you want to change with an attitude of ignorance? Maybe you are right and people are not guilty of warming, but why should someone convince other people to ignore something?

Many people could say to us: Hey, ignore game-making. This is a multi-billion market of very big companies. You will not stand the tiniest chance.

But apart from this I wonder about another thing: What happens when we destroyed too much vegetation on our planet. It is producing the oxygen we are breathing. And it is assimilating the CO2. What if we dont have enough of it? It could destroy the balance rapidly. Maybe we will suffer lots of problems because of bad air. This could be much worse than global warming.
Maybe for each car we have to grow a certain amount of trees and bushes.

The global warming will stop itself. The gulf stream will stop moving, this will result in not carrying warm air/water to the north and thus a new ice age will come.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #333582
07/17/10 10:58
07/17/10 10:58
pararealist Offline
pararealist  Offline

@ Machinery_Frank

I am not sure if you understood what i posted. If so then i am not understanding what you replied.

What i mean is:
If anyone has information that they think is important to the world or anyone else, just give the information.
Dont try to force it on others, dont even get angry if people refuse it.
People come into knowledge in their own time regardless of how much or how little someone else pushes or hides that knowledge.
See, the knowledge is all around, about and inside of us all, and it is up to each individual to find and analyse that knowledge for thamselves.
//
Quote:
Many people could say to us: Hey, ignore game-making. This is a multi-billion market of very big companies. You will not stand the tiniest chance.

Yes many people could and some most probably do, thay does not mean you have to follow what they say.
Ergo we all decide for ourselves when and what we take on or reject, and to try to push something or even reject something in rudeness and bad-mouthing someone else does not make any sense to me.
//
Ignorance is a two edged sword.

Last edited by pararealist; 07/17/10 11:03.

○pararealist now.
Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: pararealist] #333584
07/17/10 11:06
07/17/10 11:06
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Pararealist:
Yes, I understood what you mean. Actually I like this approach to not to try to convince everyone about our own "superior" beliefs. I am on your side here.

But I found it only a bit unfitting to this special case, where someone tries to convince other people to ignore environment pollution. And you tell him that people will learn this lesson with time.
I am more thinking that people will learn a lesson the other way around when they cannot bath in the rivers any more, when they cannot catch any fish in the same rivers, when the air smells bad and when you have dust around you like a thick smog.
Maybe this is not so evident in big countries like US, China or Russia. But here in Europe we already experienced a lot of this.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: Machinery_Frank] #333585
07/17/10 11:23
07/17/10 11:23
pararealist Offline
pararealist  Offline

Ah i see.
Sadly it seems that learning from experience always seem to be connected with suffering.
At least i hope they will be some survivors who learn from what happens.
Earth history is surely not heading towards its first catastrophe, whether it be global warming, or as i believe it is those who use "global warming" for their own greedy purposes like taxes, and i am sure that before the previous catastrophes many did try to warn, but they happened anyway.
//
This may seem pessimistic but this is the life we live and the world we live in. Gradual changes are a part of the human existance it seems.

○pararealist now.
Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: pararealist] #333749
07/18/10 19:59
07/18/10 19:59
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: ventilator] #334452
07/23/10 12:59
07/23/10 12:59
Germany
Lukas Offline

Programmer
Lukas  Offline

Programmer

Germany
I don't want an other thread to be hijacked to become a god discussion, destroying the original topic, so I moved Joquan's post and all its replies to a new thread. This thread is only about global warming, so please don't go off-topic here again.

Re: Global warming: Why are we so slow to act? [Re: Dark_samurai] #334460
07/23/10 13:55
07/23/10 13:55
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Dark_samurai
Not with the same end-result. If it goes slower, the nature has more time to react. And using low energy cars should be only a temporary solution until we find better drives than burning something. Additionally, using low energy cars produces less costs for fuel. I don't see any disadvantage for the end user.

That is really just pure speculation. Nature will react either way, whether slow or fast really doesn't matter.

Besides, you can bet your healthy life alternative energy sources will be and in fact already are being exploited for similarly high prizes even when costs involved are actually lower (I don't think that's true either).

These markets are designed around profits, not designed around what's best for nature... not even the green stuff. Just look at the other pollution that is involved with those 'alternatives'. I don't think it's right to categorize them as alternative energy, when in reality it still isn't pollution free.

I'm pretty sure it's because of how our economies work that it will be too late by the time everyone's actually really motivated to start some proper change in this world as far as waste deposition and fossil fuel sources goes.

Don't be fooled, not even the seemingly 'for free' solar energy is waste and pollution free.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite