by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (SBGuy), 712 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: Merlinette81] #308813
02/05/10 09:53
02/05/10 09:53
The Netherlands
Helghast Offline
Expert
Helghast  Offline
Expert

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Merlinette81
Meteor Mess got my Vote. Never thought Gamestudio could handle an adventure. My 2. Vote ( if i had one ) would go to the Boulder Dash clone. I liked the c64 version very much.
To bad nobody cloned Nebulus, i liked that too.

May I ask why you never thought it would be able to handle it?
I think of all genre's this is one of the easier ones...

Besides the fact that story wise etc it takes a long time to make one, it shouldnt be all that much harder then any other game ( dont get me wrong, I dont mean to say that MM3D was easy to make wink ).

regards,

Formerly known as dennis_fantasy
Portfolio - http://www.designorhea.com/
Project - http://randomchance.cherrygames.org/
Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: Helghast] #308816
02/05/10 10:14
02/05/10 10:14
Germany
pegamode Offline
Serious User
pegamode  Offline
Serious User

Germany
One thing that GS doesn't handle well from scratch is to hold objects states from level to level.

In an adventure an object that has been taken must not reappear when reentering the room.

There are a lot of skills for every entity, but just 2 (very short) strings ... so you have to use some other techniques to solve that problem.

Maybe that's a reason why there aren't that much adventures done with GS ... just a guess.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: Helghast] #308817
02/05/10 10:26
02/05/10 10:26
Deutschland
E
Ernie76 Offline
Ernie76  Offline
E

Deutschland
@Helghast: I agree with Merlinett. Before MM3D i too thought that 3DGS cant handle that. If you look on the Gamestudio Main page and read the discription of the program, there are listed many generes that can be made with 3DGS, insted of "ADVENTURES".
I think they have to change that text ;P
Making an Adventure in 3D with 3DGS is Harde then you think.
Even after 2 Years, the task to Control a Player charakter with a 2D Mousecursor that operates on a 2D plane, in an 3D Enviroment is very hard. And don forget the 1000s of information wich must stay in the Memory. An Adventure with 1 main Charakter is easyer i think, but with 7 charakters an 3 wich are playable at the same time...!
I think ( Tempending on how intense the gameplay should be) that Ego shooters are the easyest genre for the A7 engine ( i mean straight shooters like Doom3 not open world shooters like farcry). For shooters A7 hat many "ready" things that comes with it.( again: Debending on the Version you use and if u use "Ready stuff" or not ) For Adventures, or other more independent games, there must everything coded from the begining. Dont forget i dont Talk about the work with Modeling and so on. I only Talk about, the Scripts and routines an so on.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: Ernie76] #308818
02/05/10 10:41
02/05/10 10:41
The Netherlands
Helghast Offline
Expert
Helghast  Offline
Expert

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: pegamode
One thing that GS doesn't handle well from scratch is to hold objects states from level to level.

In an adventure an object that has been taken must not reappear when reentering the room.

There are a lot of skills for every entity, but just 2 (very short) strings ... so you have to use some other techniques to solve that problem.

Maybe that's a reason why there aren't that much adventures done with GS ... just a guess.

A7 has no problem with that at all if you know how to use Structs wink

Originally Posted By: Ernie76
@Helghast: I agree with Merlinett. Before MM3D i too thought that 3DGS cant handle that. If you look on the Gamestudio Main page and read the discription of the program, there are listed many generes that can be made with 3DGS, insted of "ADVENTURES".
I think they have to change that text ;P
Making an Adventure in 3D with 3DGS is Harde then you think.
Even after 2 Years, the task to Control a Player charakter with a 2D Mousecursor that operates on a 2D plane, in an 3D Enviroment is very hard. And don forget the 1000s of information wich must stay in the Memory. An Adventure with 1 main Charakter is easyer i think, but with 7 charakters an 3 wich are playable at the same time...!
I think ( Tempending on how intense the gameplay should be) that Ego shooters are the easyest genre for the A7 engine ( i mean straight shooters like Doom3 not open world shooters like farcry). For shooters A7 hat many "ready" things that comes with it.( again: Debending on the Version you use and if u use "Ready stuff" or not ) For Adventures, or other more independent games, there must everything coded from the begining. Dont forget i dont Talk about the work with Modeling and so on. I only Talk about, the Scripts and routines an so on.

I'm sorry, but i am going to have to disagree on this.
As i said before, making instances using structs should make it fairly "easy" (easier then using variables like in A6 atleast) to overcome this issue...

I'm not saying it's easy, but making any game of any genre isnt easy anyway tongue

But since we can instance objects (again, hammering on the struct usage), a limit to objects (when scripted proper) shouldnt be there anymore (think amounts of enemies, players, other objects)... the only limit would be hardware limit.
That's just my point of view though tongue

But I do have the feeling people think GameStudio is limited to certain genre's, where in reality it's only limited to the users experience and imagination...

-----------
I'm sorry for going offtopic and hijacking this thread George tongue

Formerly known as dennis_fantasy
Portfolio - http://www.designorhea.com/
Project - http://randomchance.cherrygames.org/
Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: Ernie76] #308819
02/05/10 10:43
02/05/10 10:43
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted By: pegamode

that is not very hard. In one of my hack'n'slah prototypes, pickups were not re-appearing when you go back to another level, even boss corpses and broken crates were still there when you go back to a level. And actually it was a very small function that saved the state of the level.

Originally Posted By: Ernie76
And don forget the 1000s of information wich must stay in the Memory.

that is what databases are for.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: Quad] #308821
02/05/10 11:08
Deutschland
E
Ernie76 Offline
Ernie76  Offline
E

Deutschland
Cant be that easy i think. If it was, there would be more GS adventures grin ( and there should be, i think )
But lets see what the future brings. even if MM3D would be changed very much in its code, im sure our next game will benefit from every singel thing we learnd by working on MM3D.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: Quad] #308822
Germany
pegamode Offline
Serious User
pegamode  Offline
Serious User

Germany
I agree both of you ... it isn't hard, but it has to implemented from scratch and there are a lot of users that think that they could build a game by just clicking some scripts in WED together ... structs, linking them to entities, pathfinding, databases and many more isn't something that most beginners could handle.

I don't think that something we implemented in GAS was hard to implement it was just time intensive to implement all the features it has yet.

By the way ... GAS uses structs (many of them) of course.

Regards,
Pegamode.

Last edited by pegamode; 02/05/10 11:17.
Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: pegamode] #308826
02/05/10 11:20
02/05/10 11:20
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
That is true, but any beginner can't do something like MM3D without doing stuff from scrath and scripting in any engine.

anyhow, you did a great job with GAS.

--
on topic:
I didnot checked all entries yet, but so for all was very good. It's a hard choice.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: Quad] #308832
02/05/10 11:51
02/05/10 11:51

M
mercuryus
Unregistered
mercuryus
Unregistered
M

Would you discuss this in your forum and not in this thead please???

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! [Re: George] #308836
02/05/10 12:13
02/05/10 12:13
Area 51
F
fangedscorpion Offline
fangedscorpion  Offline
F

Area 51
I know that my marble maze 2 game will not win by any means, but does anyone have any suggestions for it? I know the levels do not look all that nice and some of the physics may have some glitches in them. Does any one want to post some positive feedback on my game? By the way there are 4 feats in the game for those who are skilled and can find them...

"Pow! You are dead! Not big suprise!" -Heavy
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de