by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (SBGuy), 652 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Ganderoleg] #308244
02/02/10 14:28
02/02/10 14:28
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thank you. The Moonmonkey demo looks really nice, indeed! I like the style a lot. 2D characters are fine, too.

Originally Posted By: George
Are you going to get involved in this community project?

I can help out with (player) movement and the like but I'm no artist or musician.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Superku] #308249
02/02/10 15:03
02/02/10 15:03
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
Well, player movement and the like sounds good. I think we could still need some people doing that.

-George, looking at your prototype I believe we should have two sorts of movable elements in the game: a) pushable/movable elements that stay fixed to side they start off at. b)pushable/movable elements that will adjust to the new gravity when it switches. The number of puzzles will be greatly improved. A simple pseudo-physics simulation should do here, I don't think a full physics simulation would do us good in this case because it won't work properly with the different gravity-modes.

-We need a very cool animation (in my oppinion) for the main characters when switching from one gravtiy mode to the other, like him turning around quickly (doing a somersault) in mid-air.

-The time-traveling might need a few more twists to it. Example: you need to reaload your time-traveling-ability by collecting watches (or whatever. think: prince of persia's time-sand) before you can reuse the ability. Otherwise it's just a "i'm gonna keep switching time cause it don't cost none" until I found the exit here".
Would also like nice scenery there: a broken bridge (I think that was superku's example?) that wasn't broken in the past, but when it wasn't broken, it was guarded by two very large and very bad guards etc.

-Time Traveling could get a nice effect, I think. Like some sort of motion blur, very short, but visible.

There. My two cents.

Last edited by Germanunkol; 02/02/10 15:03.

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Germanunkol] #308330
02/02/10 20:14
02/02/10 20:14
Hamburg, Germany
slacer Offline
Expert
slacer  Offline
Expert

Hamburg, Germany
There are still some organizational questions for this project.

- who is the project manager?
- where is the best place for our brainstorming, concepts, ...
- who is going to create that environment for the project?
- what is the next step?

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: slacer] #308357
02/02/10 21:56
02/02/10 21:56
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Yes, i have same questions. I think manager is George, but other questions i have no idea.

i also have a suggestion:
real suggestion --> what about a custom 360º gravity change? (not squared)

brain flights --> thinking around this idea, i found a gamemode (oriented for time scores):
The scenery rotates around the player (like in andyetitmoves). The player can't move laterally himself. When the player is on a surface, he glides laterally according to surfaces' angle like slippery ice. When the player jumps (mouse click), gravity/scenery angle can be changed (mouse right/left movement) according to his vertical speed (more abs(speed) = less angle control). If the jumps' height is controlled by key pressing time, we increase the dificulty to do exactly the same jump twice. When the player collides with a surface, his bounce speed deppends on the attack angle, an onair stablished reception angle (mouse up/down) and collision speed. There could be special gravity centers, like in the prototype, that changes gravity angle according to the player position. There could also be those essential (in my opinion) pushable/movable elements.

The easiest level gets us a great competition oportunity. Imagine an horizontal plane level with the player in one side and the finish in the other. With first jump the player might orientate the level and try to get highest speed sliding down and get in finish with the correct orientation. The best score will need 4-8 correct jumps. It becomes like Xmoto game.

There could also be puzzle like levels with harder challenges like in the prototype.

I know that this gamemode is a bit far from superkus' prototype. I'll understand if it is not taken on consideration, but i feel that i need explain you because i found it really cool!!

Sorry for my english, i spent more than two hours writing this little post XP.

Salud!

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: txesmi] #308361
02/02/10 22:29
02/02/10 22:29
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Thanks for spending two hours on this because I think it's worth it.
I like the idea a lot, maybe it is the best so far!

EDIT: Still, IMO the overall concept (concerning all ideas and prototypes) is missing the icing on the cake, the unique selling point. : /

Last edited by Superku; 02/02/10 22:40.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Superku] #308365
02/02/10 22:55
02/02/10 22:55
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
I hope you don't mind when I post my suggestions, although I'm not within the team.

My suggestions:
- Don't give the player all abilities at all times, restrict them to the use of items, and - as Ganderoleg suggested - to a sort of mana.
- I wouldn't restrict the ability to a change when on a surface. At least not at all levels. There should a special reason why the player is sometimes restricted to start the gravity change from surface only. Give the player the freedom to change the gravity within the air by the mouse, depending on the given items restricted in some way or free around the whole 360 txsmi suggested.
- For the idea of Ganderoleg for building the scene with several layers have a look for limbo http://www.limbogame.org/ as well.

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Pappenheimer] #308372
02/03/10 00:11
02/03/10 00:11
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Limbo looks nice, too.

I've had a (hopefully) new game idea some minutes ago. The player controls either only one or two creatures/ objects/ ..., but both are connected via a loose rope. They cannot be controlled directly, instead (like txesmi suggested) you roll the camera and simultaneously (who invented this word?) the gravity (according to the camera roll) :

What do you think?

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Superku] #308376
02/03/10 00:26
02/03/10 00:26
H
hungryhobo Offline
hungryhobo  Offline
H

interesting idea. certainly unique. I just see a problem with continuing that idea. you will need to come up with more things to it.

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: hungryhobo] #308379
02/03/10 00:43
02/03/10 00:43
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Hm that's right... The two fellows could get more and more upgrades, f.i. ability to jump, become magnetic and defy gravity (on metal surfaces), replace a buddy by one of a different kind that has special abilities (a gear wheel/ electrified/...).
At a later time there could be an upgrade to use a second rope that sticks to everything!

Re: Game design docs uploaded - please vote here! [Re: Superku] #308382
02/03/10 01:12
02/03/10 01:12
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
nice concept, in last year's GGJ one of the groups here made something similiar, let me see if i cand find it.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  George 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de